Thread: Is she not ready?

Default Is she not ready?

Miss A has been having a bit of mashed stuff and seems to really enjoy it - when she can get it to her mouth!. She has no gag reflex and is actively looking for the next mouthful. I've also been giving her pieces of steamed vegies, toast soldiers, a sausage and pasta but she shows no interest at all. She will pick it up off her table, but doesn't even try to get it in her mouth - more like a "hmmm, now what do I do with it" kind of reaction before she drops it back on the tray.

Given that she is really enjoying the food that IS getting into her, albeit only mashed stuff, am I doing something wrong with the BLS bit? My mum, bless her, gave Miss A a plain biscuit the other day which she gummed her way through most of, but its the only thing she's bothered to get in her mouth and a biscuit full of sugar is not the way I want to start her food journey

what if you are sitting with her and eating the food as well? I know that my DD2 *loved* my OTT appreciation of broccoli stems hahaha.

One other thing that my DD2 really liked was a mix up...so sliced peach/pear in yoghurt...and she went for gold! tactile was her friend and she loved the runny feeling of the yoghurt on her fingers and the joy of the yummy peach if and when it made it to her mouth.

Give her time and opportunity, she will get there. Picking up food is the first step.

She'll get there. Experiencing food is about texture, taste, touch, all kinds of things apart from actual nutrition. Especially at this age, it's more important she learns about food and takes it in at her own speed.

My DD1 only really played and got the odd bit for about six weeks. DD2 was more of an eater from 6 mths, but only eats small amounts compared to what I remember of DD1. They all have their own ways!

Sounds normal! At this age most babies won't get much from food, but they're learning to eat and experiencing different tastes and textures.