Thread: Spaghetti bolognese for 8 month old

Default Spaghetti bolognese for 8 month old

So I'm going going to be making spag bol for dinner tonight, is there anything I should be doing, adding/not adding. BLS has been slow as DD hasn't been interested, and when she has I've been eating crap

I know not to add salt while cooking. But I don't really need to vary it that much, right? My mum is having conniptions at the idea that I'll be letting DD eat 'real food' lol. I was just planning on changing it slightly, like no salt (or a tiny bit?) and instead of using cows milk I'll use BM.

Give me an example of how you make your spag bol for your little ones. I was going to oven roast tomato, grill some capsicum for the sauce, then add chopped up celery, carrot, zucchini and mushroom. Maybe a few herbs I figure the whole point of BLS is for them to eat what we eat, right?

Yup, that's the idea . It's really good for encouraging us as parents to eat better too - cutting out salt, eating more fruit and vegies, steering clear of meals out of jars, etc.

Be prepared for a big mess! I hope to see pics .

I give it exactly the same as I eat it...I don't add salt anyways but I wouldn't be changing it that much.

Yep, you nailed it BLS is for them to eat what we eat DD was eating spaghetti bol at that age, only thing we did was use penne pasta cause DD used to swallow the spaghetti whole and end up gagging cause it was half way down her throat. Otherwise, I say go for it......have fun cause its gonna be messy but SO much fun!

Pretty much exactly how I do it, just minus the mushrooms lol I'm not a fan. Was one of DD's first foods and still a favourite, love that it is easy and can get a bunch of vegies in!

ETA oh yeah, we used penne pasta too just because it was easier for her to grab and I like it better that way haha.

Pretty much what you have said, plenty of veggies - I even sometimes add mushrooms and leek. I do add salt to my cooking but that is personal choice for my family. Be wary on herbs, I'd probably stick to basic like parsley and basil. I know my gf put dried corriander in hers & her lo had a slight reaction (red mouth). Dried herbs are more potent than fresh.

I just do everything the way we do it normally. I don't change anything (but I don't add salt to mine anyway).

I cut up the spaghetti though, cos even DS has trouble with it falling off his fork and he's 5.. LOL

still on the teaching contract roundabout

Pretty much what everyone else said - we do pasta instead of spaghetti (DH doesn't like spaghetti but doesn't mind pasta shapes) itself which might be easier for them to manage finger-wise (and jar pasta sauce). I also cook with regular milk not bm.
    DS has been eating this since early on and we did bls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so sorry if I'm confusing you

Basil is a great herb for babies, lots of fresh veggies. Ive started grating ours so its easier for the boys and i use macaroni pasta as they handle that better

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

DS2 is eating spag bol but I have mushed it up a little. As MrsS said, grate things and it's easier for them. Also pasta is easier than spaghetti. Both our boys have loved spag bol but just wait till you get that first poo that looks exactly like spag bol. It's a treat

Omg at the first poo haha!

Thanks guys. The penne is a good tip. Basil is what I normally throw in, so that's good. Good to know I'm on the right track

What a coincidence, Amelia's having spag bol tonight too She's had lasagne, and some other pasta before, so I'm prepared for the poo

The only thing I leave out is the red wine. I guess it would be O.K. to keep it in because the alcohol would cook out but it feels weird to give a baby something that has wine added. I hope she enjoys her dinner!

We did spaghetti with DD and I was amazed by 7.5 months was sucking it up like a pro. I don't change anything at all, just whatever we are having because have found if the more effort I put into making it suitable for them the less they like it, if DH cooks they always eat it and he never thinks of them when cooking, if I make something in particular because think they will like it, they are never as keen.

I find that DS can grip the spiral pasta better than the penne. He mainly sucks the sauce off and then chucks the pasta on the ground.

Given I'm terribly lazy this time around, DS has been having spag bol since he was around 7 months. I just cut out the salt and chuck in grated carrot and zucchini.

Both DS and DD started on pasta when they were in their 6th month. It was one of their first foods and we didn't modify it much from what we usually ate (just less salt). They both loved playing with the texture.

DD is now a huge fan of penne and we have it quite a bit. It's so easy at lunch time with a little sauce or even just some grated cheese for a quick easy lunch I know they will both eat.

Here is a pic of DD the first time she ate spaghetti bol

My son eating pasta with a neopolitana sauce I made