• Elise Leonie

7 24.14%
  • Amelia Leonie

22 75.86%

thread: Amelia or Elise?

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2010

Amelia or Elise?

Well, it seems we are back to the drawing board (kind of).

After months of thinking of our baby as Elise DH mentioned last night that he isn't sure about the name (he's worried about people calling her Alyce (with the definate 'A' sound rather than the 'El' sound that he likes).

After some discussion and going back to the list I made months ago he decided he might like Amelia (I prefer it spelt Emelia but it is essentially the same name so no big deal I guess).

I like both names, although it is weird to think of the baby as 'Amelia' when I've been thinking of her as 'Elise' for so long.

TBH I think DH will go with whatever name I want, but I want it to be something we are both happy with as we are going to be hearing (and saying) it a lot in the future! (oh, I'd really prefer not to have to go back to the name book if poss....)

What do you think?

Feb 2008
    With my awesome cherubs

I've voted for Amelia as that was my girls name (Amelia Grace) and now as we are having 2 boys and no more after this I can't use it ... now im babbling lol i love the name so yeh theres my answer!

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    South Eastern Suburbs, Vic

I guess that's the trouble with our accent hey, Elise, does become Alise sometimes. My bestie is 'Ellen' and I have to work hard not to say 'Allan'.

With Amelia, are you okay with 'Millie' as a nickname? Most Millie's I know are actually Amelias.

Jun 2010
    Tiny Town

I'd vote for amelia too. I know the most beautiful (inside and out) girl named amelia. As nelle said though, she goes by millie, she's never actually called amelia unless it's her full name - amelia rose

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Mar 2010
    Happy Land

Amelia is such a pretty name! I'm pretty sure we are having another boy, but if we happen to have a girl then I think we are decided on Amelia Grace (great minds MrsS!). Good luck with your decision

Aug 2008
    Adelaide

I voted for Amelia as that is DD's name (Amelia Grace). I'd always wanted Elizabeth but DH hated it and liked Amelia. As soon as she was born I knew she was Amelia. You can always wait until you meet bubs to see which fits.

ETA - And nobody calls her Millie either. In fact, we don't shorten her name at all.

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Oct 2007
    Outer South East Melbourne :)

I voted for Amelia, i love that name but DH doesn't so its off my list

Sep 2006
    Brisbane

I love Amelia too, we have a Julia so so Amelia is off the cards for us

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2010

Thanks for the replies everyone! As for nicknames - I do like Millie, I can also see a possibility of Emmy there too which I like.

I must admit, I am starting to think that Amelia might be a goer.....

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2010

I guess that's the trouble with our accent hey, Elise, does become Alise sometimes. My bestie is 'Ellen' and I have to work hard not to say 'Allan'.
    That's exactly what he was thinking, our accent making it more on an 'A' than an 'E'.

Nov 2006
    WA

Voted Amelia!

we have an Emelia here

Apr 2007
    SE QLD

I like both, but with the options to vote, I voted Amelia.

The Doctor Who character Amelia shortens hers to Amy.

Oct 2006
    Perth

I voted Amelia 'cause it is DD's name (Amelia Kate). I don't shorten it but DS does as he can't quite say it properly yet, so he calls her Mia.

I love Elise too. It's on our list if we have another one.

smiles4u Guest

Well I'm gonna go against the grain here LOL as my DD's middle name is Elise after my beautiful younger sister Elise !!!

My sister Elise has most people instantly pronounce her name with the Al (usually Aussies) and yet she gets it with the E sound more from ethnic people ... She honestly loves either it's only when people forget and go to call her Elisa she gets annoyed. My sister has always made it known she loves her name and has met only two Elise's I'm her lifetime ... Funny thing is they all had blonde hair and brown eyes.

smiles4u Guest

I forgot to mention before after my DD was born I came across the name Trelise, or is that too different for you ?

Feb 2010
    on a big patch of paradise.

Of course my vote goes to Amelia. I love that name and my Amelia is the most wonderful little girl. We have never shortened her name and so far only one of my cousins tried calling her Milly but because no one else did, she soon stopped.

I went through my whole last pregnancy thinking bubs name was going to be Mikayla and then at 38weeks DH mentions the name Macey and that was it, bubs came out and I knew straight away that Macey was right for her.

Can not believe how close you are to meeting bubs.

May 2007
    Home

I'd go for Elise Amelia seems to become more popular, and I prefer names that are slightly different
    FWIW, one of my friends name is Elise - and I have NEVER heard her being called Alice (and we've been friends since primary school!)

Nov 2008
    on the verge of greatness!

lol chody .. my turn to help you!!!

i have a old school friend who's an Elise and I've never heard her called anything but E-leece. Have you thought of Alyssa or Elyssa as an alternative?

but I also prefer Amelia.

Men! they shouldn't be allowed to have opinions in these things, they just make it complicated lol. good luck