thread: Argh!

Add No.5 on Facebook

Jan 2007
    Brisbane

Argh!

Why does it have to be so hard to agree on a name?

I've got a list of girls and boys names (about 6 names on each) and all bar 2 (both girls names!) have been vetoed by DH

Girls names I have:
    Matilda (favourite!)
    Paige - DH says is ok
    Stella
    Violet
    Bianca - Another ok by DH
    Ivy

DH suggested Jenna/Gemma but middle name will be Jennifer so no J-sounding names for a girl.

Henry (favourite - heart set!) - was DH's grandfathers name so he doesn't want to use it
    Callum
    Harry
    Oliver
    Noah
    Eli

DH suggested Antony but its too close to my uncles name (Who is Anthony) & I just don't like it.

DS is Lachlan so all L names are out. I've just put Charlotte and Hamish out there so we shall see. Also vetoed by DH are Grace and Eva.

Please help. Suggest anything and everything at this point. We went through baby name books when pregnant with DS and they didn't help at all. DS name wasn't even a suggested name at all throughout the process then at 2 days old I gave in and said yes because I didn't hate it

Last edited by No.5; June 3rd, 2012 at 07:34 PM.

Add Kazbah on Facebook Follow Kazbah On Twitter

Sep 2006
    Dandy Ranges ;)

I think that "argh" might be a bit weird on the birth certificate

What DH & I both did, for both kids, is we both created our own lists. We then swapped lists, and struck off what we totally hated.
    We (I) then compiled a single list of all acceptable names and we both ranked each name on it from 1-... I then gave each name a combined score, and that was the name we chose.

For DH2, we chose the middle name before the first name, so it made it easier - finding the name that "went with" the middle name was easier.

Good luck.

Jan 2008
    Central Coast NSW

I had similar issues with my DH! I had a huge list but he wouldn't agree on any, so frustrating. In the end I started suggesting more "out there" names (DH is very traditional) and he started getting worried so reconsidered my "normal names" list

My boys are Blake and Lucas, and the girls names I like are Alexis, Sophie, Ella...

Jul 2007
    melb

I love Hamish and Charlotte but my DH hates both names!

DH didn't like lots of names I did was a long slow process!

I love lots on both your lists!

Names are so stressful!!

Jacob
    Harrison
    James
    Noah
    Christain
    Patrick
    Edward
    Matthew
    Joshua
    Tristain
    Travis
    Louis
    Lewis

Harriet
    Eleanor
    Nina
    Rose
    Maddison
    Madeline
    Audrey
    Amalie
    Amelia
    Sarah
    Felicity
    Stephanie
    Cassie
    Heather
    Hilary
    Caitlen
    Sadie

Apr 2009
    Sydney

My DH and I wrote down our top 5 names that we both liked for our DS. Then, any common names, which so happened to be 3 of them were put into a hat. One was drawn out and that was our DS's name (also Lachlan!!).

Why don't you do that? If there is one name common to Both lists then that is the name. If there are no names common at all then go away with each others lists and have a think. We also now need to consider a name that goes with Lachlan. As in , 'these are my children, Lachlan and ...' Also, I don't know if you shorten Your Lachlan to Lachie but we do, so for us it was important to pick a name that could also be shortened so while I like Hamish, I didn't like it being shortened to something like Hamie or Hammy IYKWIM?

We also like the Celtic/Scottish theme to our kids names so that had to be considered too

Good luck!!!

Apr 2009
    Perth, WA

Love Matilda and Charlotte they are both on our list although DH is not a big fan of Matilda.

Love Callum and Noah but unfortunately 2 of our friends already have bubs with those names.

Add CKJ on Facebook

Dec 2011
    Central Coast NSW

Feeb your list contains all 3 names I am using for this little man!!!!

With DD we chose her first name from a song (although her father did hear another name from a song and wanted it until he realised it was about a prostitute). Her middle names are a mixture from both families (mine/my mums and her paternal grandmothers middle name). She is Kaylin Louise Marie

Thankfully with this little man the name choice has been solely mine (well I've asked dd for help). We have chosen Jacob Louis Harrison (although may change Harrison to Michael)

For a girl I likes Chloe grace. I do like quite a few names on your list, so wish you loads of luck

Jul 2007
    melb

Feeb your list contains all 3 names I am using for this little man!!!!

With DD we chose her first name from a song (although her father did hear another name from a song and wanted it until he realised it was about a prostitute). Her middle names are a mixture from both families (mine/my mums and her paternal grandmothers middle name). She is Kaylin Louise Marie

Thankfully with this little man the name choice has been solely mine (well I've asked dd for help). We have chosen Jacob Louis Harrison (although may change Harrison to Michael)

For a girl I likes Chloe grace. I do like quite a few names on your list, so wish you loads of luck

How funny!!! Don't change Harrison to Michael!! :-P My boys are Jacob and Harrison and a close friends son is Louis and they all play well together!!

Jan 2009
    In my own little fantasy world

We did a similar thing to Kazbah. Except that I made up a list and had DH choose names from it. I had about 130 girls names & 70 boys names. DH & I went through the list separately and highlighted any name we thought we might consider using. This is regardless of whether we knew someone with the name (apart from strong negative associations), initials or potentially clashing with DS's name or our last name. We ended up with 10 girls names that we had both highlighted. So then we both took our shortlist & put it in order of preference. We happened to have the same top 4. One we counted out because a friend had used it. Another I changed my mind about. We were tossing up between the last two for weeks before we finally settled. I think it was only about 2 or 3 weeks before her due date that we decided. Boys names didn't quite work out that way. DH didn't like any of the names I'd picked. I ended up settling for a name I didn't love simply because I knew she was a girl. DH didn't know though so I had to pretend to be choosing a boys name, lol! I even considered choosing DH's middle name even though we would have used his first name as the baby's middle name (so it would be his name in reverse).

Emily
    Erin
    Isla
    Amy
    Milla
    Mali
    Talia
    Amelia
    Hazel

Archer
    Reuben
    Hayden
    Cooper
    Evan
    Matthew
    Robert
    Jeremy

Sep 2011

I LOVE Stella and Archer

May 2012
    Where faith conquers fear

You have some gorgeous names there! I love Matilda and Oliver

Jul 2010
    Canberra

Violet and Harry are my picks. They're all lovely though - it's so hard!

Apr 2011

I Love Violet and Oliver

Jan 2006

You know, "Grr, argh!" can be pronounced as Greg, if you wanted to go down that route. Personally, I'd go with "I'm giving birth, I'm naming the baby" especially as he got his way with the name last time.

DH really didn't want Liebling to be called William when I was pregnant. It's weird how many people think he's called Will, given that he's not. I just use a different nickname to what most people think of when they hear his name.

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

we had such a hard time this time around...afraid i am not much help as we were looking at Dutch or Italian names.

Dec 2007
    Victoria

I LOVE Ivy! DH hated it

Why doesn't he want to use Henry? Gorgeous name

We had terrible time with DD2, she didn't get a name until she was 4 days old lol Turned out she got a name that we both decided we didn't like when we were thinking about them. Once you see them everything goes out the window.

Alexis is a *TOP* name

Add No.5 on Facebook

Jan 2007
    Brisbane

I do like Alexis Limey

Thanks everyone. We probably will do the list thing next week when we know what we're having

Just to be difficult I've added another 2 names to the list Piper and Kai!

DH has said no more girls names on the list because all I keep suggesting are girls names

Jan 2012
    Western Suburbs Melbourne

Argh!

Schonell - does the middle name have to be Jennifer? Or can a variation like Jenna or Gemma?
    Oh I love all of your picks so far!

Matilda Gemma
    Paige Jenna
    Stella Jenna
    Violet Genevieve
    Bianca Paige

Henry as a middle name....
    Callum Henry
    Oliver Kai
    Eli Noah
    Archer Harry

Good luck!