: Which name?

• Grover

2 10.53%
  • Baxter

8 42.11%
  • Griffin

9 47.37%

thread: And which boy's name? Grover, Baxter or Griffin?

Jun 2005
    USA

And which boy's name? Grover, Baxter or Griffin?

And now we need to nail in a boy's name...

Middle name will be Lawson.

We locked in Grover before conception but I feel like it's pretty quirky and I lose my nerve sometimes. I think once he's named it would be awesome and is on trend and wouldn't be odd in the gamut of names around these days but I think a lot of our generation might be "really??". I love the -ver ending and I love that it's a nature name.

We came very close to naming our last son Baxter. I still love it and love the nicknames Bax/Baxie. I feel a little unsure about it now though as DS2 has an X name too. Too much?

Griffin has been on the list for all the boys but I've been concerned it would become a little too popular for us. Doesn't seem to be happening as it keeps flying just under the radar but is well known and 'normal' enough now. Our DS1 also has a name ending in -n and I kind of don't feel thrilled about having two names that sound the name on the end when you call them out.

Always open to more suggestions too!

Dec 2008

Re: And which boy's name? Grover, Baxter or Griffin?

I like griffin and Baxter equally. Not a fan of Grover, it reminds me of Sesame Street. Sorry.

If you like the ver sound, what about Gulliver, Oliver or Dover?

Jan 2011
    Perth

Why Lawson as a middle name? I adore it as a first name

Grover reminds me of The Muppets/Sesame Street.

Griffin is quirky, i like that too though not so much next to Lawson as both have a similar sounding end - in/on.

Jun 2005
    USA

Hmm... that's a good point. We decided on Lawson when we decided on Grover and I hadn't really thought it doesn't go with Griffin. We could always choose another middle name though.

I don't think I love Lawson enough for a first name. We chose it as a middle name as we like middle names with meaning and family connections. It's a combination of my father's middle name (Dawson) combined with my husband's fathers name (Lawrence).

I don't mind about the Sesame Street connection to Grover. The Sesame Street Grover is the best character on there! He's awesome.

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Oct 2007
    Outer South East Melbourne :)

I like Baxter out of the names. Grover reminds me of Seasame Street

Platinum Subscriber

Apr 2010
    coastside, Vic

I actually prefer Griffin out of those, can't go with Grover either, Sesame Street connection too strong! would be like calling him Cookie Monster (he's my fav :-) )

Don't think griffin very common at all, can't remember hearing it ever as a midwife, but I do like it, hadn't thought of it before and might run it past my pregnant sister too if you don't mind

Sep 2005
    In the middle of nowhere

Griffin would be my choice out of your 3, but now you've mentioned Bax and I'm kinda stuck there. I really like that.

FWIW both my girls have a 'y' ending and noone's ever commented. Any further girls might just as well

Jun 2010
    Tiny Town

My preference would be Griffin, Baxter, Grover. But I don't think Griffin Lawson sounds right so I'd go with Baxter. I think Grover is a great name and very cute for a little boy, but it kind of seems like a nickname and I can't imagine it on a man.

I love the middle name you've chosen and the meaning it has for you.

Oct 2008
    Victoria

Love Griffin! I have a few friends who have children with similar sounding names but in all honesty I don't notice, it's really only you mentioning it that made me think about it.

Nov 2011
    SE Melbourne

If you like Grover, by all means it's your choice and no one has the right to judge or have an opinion...

But... I just wonder whether when he's an adult if other people would be able to take him seriously - I know people should not judge by names... But.... There are definite connotations that come with that name.... And while Grover was a cute character, he was also a little... Frustrating...? Might be a bit tricky when he's looking for work and all that??

Griffin and Baxter are both a little more mainstream, but quirky enough to be different.

I'm pretty sure I read some research somewhere that states it's important to be careful about names, as they can impact on a child's ability to be successful.... (Not okay of course! But unfortunately we live in society and have to work within it.... And our choices for a children can impact on their future too.... Sigh... Society sucks sometimes)

Mar 2004
    Sparta

I love Grover.
    It's a fantastic classical name that worked just fine for a POTUS.

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2010

Of those names I would choose Griffin. I'm personally not a fan of Grover. I just think of Sesame Street and it makes me wonder if a child may be picked on or end up resenting the name?

Dec 2011
    Surrounded by sand

I really like Grover. There are a few nicknames that you could get out of it and it's a different but not unpronounceable or too out there a choice.

Add sepata on Facebook

Sep 2011
    Sydney

I'm a fan of Grover. And if he doesn't like it or wants to go by something else for work then he has Lawson. That's why our boys have two middle names plus their christian name, so they have choices as they get older.

Jul 2007
    melb

I like Griffen, have only come across a few. Baxter I don't really like but is ok. Grover all I think of is seseme street sorry.

Jun 2005
    USA

I have a whole thread about Grover so I wont go into it too much but Grover Cleveland was a pretty robust man and a US president. And how does Oscar get the all clear when it's just as much a Sesame Street name? I really think it's a name that will travel perfectly well into adulthood.

Jan 2011
    Perth

Ha good point re Oscar. If you love Grover then go for it. People always grow to love the name of new babies in their lives anyway, regardless of first impressions.

Oct 2006
    In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

Chose the name you love. I was locked into the name I chose for my DD however, entertained some others for the sake of DH
    It's a funny one, there are some crazy names out there but no matter what the name over time people never know you by any other name. You just call someone by name because that's their name, if that makes sense!