Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Wearing General Chatter #1

Default Baby Wearing General Chatter #1

Hello all!

This thread has been created as a general chatter thread for those who wear their babies. It's designed for those who want to support each other in their baby wearing journey, however long that may be, and to share ideas and suggestions for baby wearing techniques and methods.

Some useful baby wearing and related articles on BellyBelly:

Babywearing - The Benefits of Carrying Your Baby
    Cuddle Me Mum - I Need a Cuddle...
    Cuddles - How They Make Your Baby Smarter, Calmer and More Secure
    Velcro Baby - The Baby That Clings!

Different ways of wrapping your baby may be found in this thread:
    http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...hniques-58821/

Looking forward to hearing about everyone's baby wearing techniques and favourite wraps and slings!

We just tried a rucksack back carry with a wrap today and was inspired to also try a double hammock version as well (another back carry). Very comfy and leaves me much freer to get things done. Up to now I've stuck with the kangaroo carry (well practised from DD1 and the HAB).

Also love my ring sling for those quick trips in and out of the car, particularly school drop offs and pick ups.

I'm now on the look out for a short wrap to use with some of the suitable wrapping techniques. To use for the same kind of things as my ring sling to start with, while DD2 is still little.

I almost created a thread last week!

We did the Hug-a-Bub thing with DS and being unknowledgeable about BWing back then, 4m was the end of wearing for us due to stretchy sag.

With DD we started with an Ergo which was great as an.infant but she no longer loves it. She loves the buckle waist Beetlebum we use. I tried wrapping but didnt have the patience. We have just got our first ringsling and although I love it, I dont love using it, but im surr the confidence will come.

Im about to have a custom ObiMama WCMT made and am in the midst of deciding what wrap to use.

Being back at work, I love BW as I feel it helps me make up for lost snuggles during the day.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Looking forward to getting lots of tips from this thread for when bubba #3 arrives.

Both my girls were very fussy babies and wearing them saved my sanity - or at least a bit of it ;-) DD1 I had mainly in a baby bjorn for the first bit Then I discovered the error of my ways and switched to a ring sling but it had big padded edges so we never really liked it/got the hang of it. Ended up discovering an ergo but unfortunately with DD2's pregnancy so quick it didn't get a great deal of use.

DD2 practically lived in the ergo for the first six months and I loved it but she got really hot in there once the warmer months came long. Dragoncookie - do you have the "new" style infant insert for your ergo or the old one? I've only got the old one and wondering if the new one is better with tummy to tummy carry?

This time around I've already bought a sakura bloom ring sling ready for #3 for school runs and unless I really fall in love with it, will probably still use the ergo for around the house and out and about stuff. I've tried experimenting with the RS so far with a very cooperative teddy bear but am struggling to get everything snug and smooth. Do I need more weight in there maybe, or do I just need to accept I'm completely unco-ordinated and just stick to the ergo?

Great thread!!!!

I started wearing DS when he was a teeny tiny baby, but only for walks and in a cheap Tomy carrier. Since then I have gone from that to a Bubba Moe, and then heaps of others have been tried, Ergo (both standard and sport), babyhawk oh snap, beetlebums (quite a few!), Obimama, dream carrier (wrap conversion and full buckle), Close Carrier, Bamberoo... argh I've tried a lot (and spent a lot of money!!)

These days I only have my Kleinsmekker mei tai and my beetlebum SV FB.

I don't wear a lot these days, only when I have all the kids shopping or for school pick up - DD3 is pretty independent and doesn't really enjoy a lot of cuddles

ETA: I have also experimented with wrapping with a Storch Leo and Jade Mild, but because of my short dinosaur arms - I find it impossible to get them on properly!

Baby wearing is just like second nature here. It makes so much sense! If you're going to be carrying them around a bunch anyway, might as well have your hands free

DD1 lived in a Close Carrier for the first 6 months, she was a winter bub and then we started using an Ergo. She was rocked in one carrier or another for most sleeps during her first year (occasionally fed to sleep).

With DD2 I started off using a ring sling and just adore it. It is a Breeze Baby and is so cool (temperature wise). I've now also started using my beautiful Beetlebum that I inherited from Mrs Nerd Burger! It is great because I can use it for DD1 or DD2 comfortably.

I almost feel like I don't belong here, we "only" have the bigger-brand carriers and I have no idea of all the others

I loooooove my ring slings (though my pink one's gone missing AGAIN!) and my HAB wraps are getting use again lately because her little legs get sore from walking and she needs a sleep

Yay! Great, great thread!

I had a cheap 'crotch dangler' from Kmart with DS - I wore him for the first few months until it got too uncomfortable to carry him. I didn't know any better .

With DD I have been wearing her right from the start - first in a Close Carrier, then a Beetlebums half buckle... I now own four carriers and have a wrap on the way - yikes! I can't wait for my wrap to arrive - I find the idea of wrapping really appealing but I guess we'll see if it's something I actually like/can get the hang of when it gets here.

In the meantime, I'm loving my two Beetlebums (one HB, one FB, both wrap conversions - lucky me!) - one of which also came from Mrs Nerd Burger!

Can't wait to chat in here .

Hello! Great thread!

DD1 lived in the HAB for the first 6 months of her life, having all her naps in there. Then I got a sling to carry her on my hip if we were just ducking into the shops.

DD2 I used the HAB again for the first few months. Then I got an ergo and she's still having one of her day naps in that at 1 yr old. She loves to be carried. The ergo is not the best for me though. I am too short and the bit at the bottom that is supposed to be kind of 'hard' gets all folded when I try and sit down. Not sure what else to try though.

This time around I have mastered the art of feeding while wearing DD2, woot! Still have not got the hang of a back carry though. Doesn't feel comfortable and the strap on the ergo makes my floppy belly look gross, rofl.

We have an Ergo that DP uses, I find it uncomfortable compared to wrapping. If you can cross the straps at the back, like the Manduca, I can see how that would be better. DP is keen to learn to wrap though, so I'll start him on the HAB at my first chance.

Epacris lent me a Girasol size 5 I think that got me started on the different wraps. I got an Ellevill Paisley (cotton/bamboo blend, soooo soft) in a six that is great for a kangaroo carry. I've only had it just over a week and I've been stopped and asked about it half a dozen times already. I'm waiting on a Zara to arrive.

For the wrappers in here, what's your pref for a shortie? Suse recommended a Storchenweige Leo and a particular Oscha. I need to stalk FB until one comes up.

Some of the WCs look so pretty, but I'd have to try some different types to be convinced for myself.

Yay! A bw thread! I had a no name sling and crotch dangler when DS was little and a giant pouch sling for DH to use. They all hurt my back so I gave up on that. Then a 6months or so ago i made a MT on a whim and now use that and my 3 wraps I've since acquired. Only prob is DS is now a "big kid" and wants to walk everywhere! So keen for Oct it's not funny!!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Just wondering if those who have used the close carrier have found it to be good? Still got a few months to go, but I wanted to get the caboo for our winter bub and then a baby bjorn comfort carrier for when he/she gets a bit bigger.

We borrowed an ergo carrier from a friend when we went overseas with DS but I couldn't get my head around it and don't think I could do it on my own with a toddler in tow..

Babywearing has been one of the best things I've done with my little boy.

We started off using a peanut sling in the early days. I was having weekly blood tests, so it was great to just have him cuddled in there in the clinic when I needed that done; and my DH plays soccer - so most of his winter games had my little boy just tucked away on me. I loved him being in there!

Then when he was about 4 weeks old or something, I started using the Hug A Bub. Hard to work out at first, but before long it was second nature. This was really good for us on Wonder Weeks, or during arsenic hour - I would just walk around the house or street with him in there and he'd settle pretty quickly.

From 6 months old or so, we had the Ergo Performance & I still use it still. Rhino LOVES it - tucked into mum and watching the world go by. I really should do back carry; I just don't set aside the time to learn it.

Tell you what though - feels like EVERY time I wear it someone has the assumption that he's too heavy for it and that it has to be so uncomfortable. I love educating people as to why it's so much better than the ones you usually see people wear (apparently it's not that common at the places I visit!); and hopefully I've converted some people... :lol

I don't know how people get on WITHOUT a sling. My SIL has never used one (with 3 kids) and I just don't understand it!

Nat82: I used a close carrier with my DD and it was awesome. Very very easy, very very comfortable - perfect for newborns and little babies. My DD would fall asleep almost instantly she was so snuggly against me. They're best for the first 3-4 months I found, as once bub gets heavier the fabric hangs a bit.

When i took DS for his newborn hearing test i was wearing him in a Close Carrier. I didn't have to take him out, the person was happy to attach the ear and head things while he was cuddled up on my chest. So nice!

I wouldn't mind a hugabub or another soft carrier or wrap so i could have one for home and one for out. the only thing with the close carrier i don't like is the dangly bits are too long, but not long enough to tie up.

yay!!
    I plan on BWing when Spock gets here. I so far have a ring sling (also has big padded edges, dont know if that will get good or bad), wrap sling and a babybojrn (however it is spelt). just from me playing around the wrap is my fave, so see what happens when I use it for real =)

I'm expecting my first bub in August and carriers were the first thing I bought! There's already a second hand ergo and 4 woven wraps in my stash! Not quite sure how that happened so fast. The beautiful fabric is definitely addictive. So far my teddy bear has enjoyed being practice wrapped.

Great thread! So far I only have a Close Carrier that Buster just loves, I absolutely adore wearing him in it! Hate to think of him growing out of it Not sure what else to get, have lots of googling to do since reading all your responses!

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast