Thread: babywearing and hypermobility

Default babywearing and hypermobility

So DD2 has Down Syndrome. I briefly saw a physio at our early intervention play group last week who gave my ergo and Hug a bub a very quick look over and said not to use them, due to babies with Down Syndrome having hypermobility in their hips. Now, DD2 hasn't been properly assessed so I have no idea if she does have hypermoblity and to what extent and I can't get into the physio I want for 2 weeks. So I'm trying to find some answers myself and getting very confused lol.

Anyone have a baby with hypermobility and still wore them? What carriers did you use? I am possibly getting a ring sling, is that a better option than the ergo with newborn insert and the hug a bub?

Why would hyper mobility be an issue?

(I have a brother with DS, who often sits with his ankles near his ears)

I have no idea, I'm new to this! Hence why I'm so confused lol

Hypermobility is often associated with hip problems DD had hip dysplasia - I used hug a bub and Ergo when 5 months. I was told fine as both tend to keep the hips in the froggy position similar to brace. For hip development legs being straight down is worst. I would have thought newborn insert in Ergo is fine too (I used one with DS but he didn't have hip issues)

The physio said the carriers that bounce were no good, but I think she meant baby Bjorn type ones. She said hips together was better but then the hip dysplasia people said that position is not good. I know the babes in arms page has an article on Down syndrome and the ergo and they say its ok.

I found this post by MadB which may be useful. It sounds like the hyper mobility may be the issue rather than the Downs. I do know that quite a few mums of kids with DS find carrying their baby very helpful. Perhaps MadB will see this?

Several girls in my baby wearing group had babies with hip dysphasia & they were advised to wear baby in Ergo especially when bub had brace. They could use wraps/hug a bub after the brace came off.

But so far as I understand you LO doesn't have it? Your physio is giving you 'preventative measures'. Did your physio give you any ideas of what you could use?

Dd has hypermobility and had hip dysplasia she was fine with the ring slings its the baby bjorn which could apparently cause an issue.