Thread: Ergo question

Default Ergo question

Hi there, just wondering if anyone has tried carrying a 4 year old on their back in an ergo? Or are they just too big/heavy? Thanks

I did when we went to Hong Kong a couple of years ago, but then my kids are pretty flea-like so not your average four year old. For me though, I think its a case of if you know you're going to have to carry your child anyway, it is far easier to support their weight with the help of the ergo than to just carry them in your arms/on your hip IYKWIM.

Depends how big the 4 yr old is I guess. I would use a toddler carrier though.

Not ergo, but have in manducca. Only way ican arty my kids for any time..

That should have read only way i can carry my kids (5 yrs and 4 yrs).

I have carried my 3.5 year old in an Ergo on my front. It was quite comfy actually, but we were just trying to get out of the airport without a meltdown, not a long hike.

I have carried my 4 year old on my back in the Ergo...we were walking around at night in Sydney and she was too zonked to walk herself. Was either that or carry my 4 year old and put the 2 year old in the Ergo. Best solution was 4 year old on back (not too bad in the end, lol) and hold 2 year old in my arms. Lol - did that all make sense?

I carried my 3 1/2 year old in ours on holiday a few years ago. He was about 17kg then. It felt fine to do that. He even fell asleep on me. I would think it depends on the size of your child. I think the weight limit is about 20-25kg.

I have carried my 17kg 4 year old on my back in a manduca. The only thing was that he is quite tall with long legs so his legs weren't really well supported, they kinda flopped about a bit. If you are going to do it as a regular thing, I would look at getting a specially designed carrier so that they get the leg support to achieve an M position, and less of the crotch dangling effect.

Weight wise, it was fine for me to carry 17kg, but I am pretty used to hefty stuff and have a large frame myself.

The seat would be too narrow at that age. It can be done, weight wise, so long as they're not beyond the limit, but it may not be very comfy for them as their legs will hang. If you're looking at using it for longer periods of time, I'd suggest getting a big kid carrier. If it's only short trips, then it would be ok.

Thanks everyone. Ok, next question, is there a specific carrier that I could carry a 4 year old in? I think he's about 19kg.

Have a look at the Tula.

Hi ginger we still use our Ergo with our 4 year old. She is not petite about 18kg's. I can wear her on my back.

Default Ergo question

Tula, wompat, Kinderpack all do 'preschool' sized carriers as do a lot of other brands.