thread: Manduca and Hip displaysia

BellyBelly Life Subscriber
    Add Beautiful Disaster on Facebook Follow Beautiful Disaster On Twitter

Jun 2010
    Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.

Manduca and Hip displaysia

So I have just got a manduca and now a friend has me worried saying that they cause hip displaysia and that it more common in girls

Have I just wasted a lot of money buying this?

Any advice would be welcomed.

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Mar 2008
    Vic

Re: Manduca and Hip displaysia

It won't cause dysplasia. If bub is already that way inclined, it could be that certain carriers make it worse.

I haven't seen the manduca up close but it looks like the main pressure would be the seat and not the legs - carriers like the baby bjorn force the legs downwards unnaturally. Carriers like the ergo, caboo etc put bub's legs in a more natural position and it looks like the manduca is very similar to the ergo. DD1 had severe dysplasia, DD2 very mild. I wouldn't have hesitated using an ergo and I did use a caboo.

I'm sure someone with hands on experience will confirm, but I wouldn't be rushing back for a refund just yet.

Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Jul 2007
    melb

No you haven't wasted money, as previously posted above they are very similar to the ergo which is fine to use as does not allow baby to "crouch dangle" like a baby bjorn.

Mar 2008
    Vic

Found this on an official manduca site --

This position is frequently referred to as a ‘frog’ position, and in medical jargon is often described by means of exact angles. We prefer our own term, the 'M position', as we think it helps the non-expert to visualise very well what it is supposed to look like: in this position, the lower legs, the thighs and the bottom all together look rather like a capital M. Babywearing in this position can help prevent hip dysplasias and encourages the baby’s still immature hip sockets to develop in the way nature intended.

Jun 2010

Found this on an official manduca site --
    Thank you. That's what I thought but she had me doubtful

Sep 2008
    Adelaide

Agreed - We have a ergo, and yes, they position babies/toddlers in the same position as a manduca. I did my research pre purchase as DS was a Hip dysplasia bub so there was no way I was taking any risks with DD. These types of carriers that position bubs in a frog type sitting position actually discourage hip problems rather than cause them so your friend is quite misinformed here.
    I would not however use a baby born etc that lets the legs dangle as mentioned as these would not be good for hip development at all.

Jun 2010

Perfect my pretty new purple one should be here in a few weeks yay

BellyBelly Member

Aug 2010
    Albs, WA

my paed physio advises the ergo/manduca for bubs with dysplasia before using the correction casts.

Jun 2010

my paed physio advises the ergo/manduca for bubs with dysplasia before using the correction casts.
    That's great Trish I might tell said friend as her girl is in a cast thing now at 4 months old for 3 months but she told me her autho said no carriers at all.

Feb 2010
    Gold Coast

Number one tip when babywearing? You want bubs legs/bum to look like an M shape. It's often referred to as froggy legs.

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

That's what DD1's orthopaedic surgeon recommended also. He said that the fact that we'd been baby wearing her was the difference between a brace (for 12 months all up) and surgery.