Thread: Need recommendations for a carrier for DH

Default Need recommendations for a carrier for DH

We have an Ergo sport, with infant insert, bought 3 years ago. We thought it would be good for DH. However, he is both tall and broad shoulders. The straps are let out to the maximum and it's difficult for him to get it on and off without assistance. He also lacks flexibility to reach around for the back strap.

he needs a carrier that is easy to use (not a wrap), not girly looking, that is comfortable in Summer for both him & bub and that fits his broad shoulders. Any recommendations?

on another note, the ergo is too wide for my narrow shoulders. I have a wrap I'm wrestling with but find it easier to put bub in the Ergo. I also need something else.

There are strap extensions if it's ok for him otherwise.
    Otherwise maybe a Mei Tai? They're more adjustable so could work for both of you. (I have a blue one you're welcome to if you want)

I don't think your husband will fit into any of those sling things.

The manduca is the best carrier for all shapes and sizes. You don't need any newborn inserts it's all built in. Highly recommend!!!

Have a look at the bigger carriers - kinderpack, bamberoo etc Can you go to a local babywearing meet and try some? If you're in brisbane you can try my bamberoo

I find different carriers work in the first 6 months, to those that work for a bigger baby.

the close carrier was good for dh and I for a small baby, it is kinda like hug a bub, but you don't have to wrap it.

We loved the close carrier for those first few months too.

A mei tai is a great option, or a half buckle. Much more adjustable. Check out Kleinsmekker, baby hawk, angel pack, Melkaj (my favourite)

Mei tai would be my suggestion. For the both of you. Half way between a wrap and full buckle (has the structured body but you tie it, so suits all sizes as long as the straps are long enough).

currently using a beco soleil and it is pretty fabulous. i am not a tall person though, but it does have way more strap room than the ergo that i have.

Agree with the manduca recommendation!