Thread: 10 month old goes psycho when trying to dress her!

Default 10 month old goes psycho when trying to dress her!

Someone please tell me this is just a phase!! DD is a nightmare to dress, especially after a bath. The past few weeks, she has started throwing the biggest tantrums when we try to dress her after a bath in the evening. It takes two of us to do it now She HATES it! Once she's dressed, she's quite happy but the whole process is quite upsetting for all involved. She arches her back, screams, twists, turns - does anything to avoid being dressed. And no amount of distraction makes it any easier!

I just don't know what we can do to make it easier for all of us. It's almost like she's really traumatised by the whole experience but I don't think that's the case, I'm hoping she's just trying to get her own way, testing out her new found indpendence, lol.

Any thoughts?

My little one does this too when dressing and undressing. She hates it for some reason!

Sorry I'm no help, but just wanted to share the pain!!

Sue xx

I feel your pain too! Where are you dressing her after her bath? I was dressing DD in the bathroom after her bath and it became impossible, so I now take her to her change table and dress her there. It's harder for her to escape and she seems to accept it slightly better (I do mean slightly ). I always give her something to play with while dressing her too to help distract her.

Hopefully they grow out of it haha!

My 10 month old is the same. I take the whole process quite slowley which he seems happy with. I let him crawl around his bedroom, when he comes close I pop in an arm, etc. I find that if I just try and push through he gets really upset by the end of it. This way he gets cranky for just a second or so and then continues on. It does take a long time though, but luckliy for me it isn't ever change he gets cranky with.

Yep, same thing here atm. Have you tried dressing her in front of the mirror so she can watch the 'action'? Just a thought, sometimes works with DD. Its soooo frustrating especially when they are in a great mood just before! Hopefully it will get better for everyone on this thread soon

Miss A cracks it when I dress her after bath time too. Not to bring you down, but I remember forcing DS to get his clothes on many many times until he started dressing himself about 6 months ago...

I feel your pain! E is a nightmare to dress as well. I gave him my phone after his bath tonight and it distracted him long enough so I could dress him. I'll be trying that again tomorrow

OMG! Yay that we are not alone but BOOHOO that there us so many of us going through the same thing! It sucks, doesn't it!!

Thanks for your support and advice girls. So far we have already tried moving her back to her change table in her room (as opposed to the blow up change table we have in the laundry) and the novelty of that wore of quick smart. We have also tried in front of the mirror but that isn't quite satisfying enough for our young misfit either. We give her all sorts of marvellous things (that often aren't kid friendly!) to try to distract her but nothing seems to work.

Last night we let her cruise around her room and up and down the hallway with her towel over her (it has the hood in it so that was over her head) and she thought that was a great laugh. We decided she (we!) had had enough when she peed on the floor so we tried dressing her and as usual, it was a disaster.

I feel better knowing we are not alone. Maybe it will pass....eventually.... (Art?!)

Same thing here!! Not just after a bath but all the time, even just a nappy change. I started changing DS on the bed with his mobile on, that worked for the first few goes, then no luck