Thread: 15 month sleep issues at night time

Default 15 month sleep issues at night time

Hey BB girls

im hoping someone may be able to just share some words of wisdom on what is going on with my DS2 - he is 15 months

DS2 has been a great sleeper really. ive always been lucky with my boys and always went to sleep at night on their own well and also if woke during the night early on they had feeds and then went straight back to sleep. DS2 has been night weaned since about 7 months and sleeping through for the most part (occasional sickness or teeth aside)

for the last five nights however he has been screaming hysterically when we put him to bed at night. as soon as we walk into his room he stops crying and lies down. If we leave he screams and stands up and cry's until we come back in. We have been sitting at his door waiting for him to fall asleep for the last five nights. If we are in his room he plays up too much. This is taking between 20-50mins.

The other issue is that has also started waking during the night as well screaming and the same pattern repeats. If we go in he stops screaming and lies down and is calm. if we go to leave he screams. I am sitting at his door during the night too. 2-3 times a night and up to an 1hr to go back to sleep (mostly averaging 20mins).

I *THINK* its a separation anxiety thing. But to make things worse he is also teething with a top molar and a bottom molar, and is JUST about to start walking on his own. he is taking walks on his own if we stand him up, but not initiating his walking YET.

I have a feeling it is just a huge time for him and this is what he needs, but any other opinions or advice?

even a pep talk to get me through this stage! lol I am someone that loves (LOVES) my sleep and just getting a bit tired and run down from the change in my sleep patterns!

Default Re: 15 month sleep issues at night time

I think you're right, he's got a lot of things going on right now. Sounds like he needs a bit of extra comfort/reassurance. My ds is actually going through another one of these phases atm too. He's 21 months. I used to just pop him in bed, so goodnight, walk out & he'd go to sleep. around 8 months this changed. Since then he's had random periods where I need to be in his room for him to go to sleep. I started holding his hand (otherwise he'd just stand up & cry), then sat next to his cot on a stool, then further away etc. Sound like you don't need to do these steps though if you're already able to sit outside his door. Don't really have any words of wisdom, other than that he will probably go back to sleeping by himself again soon. Probably doesn't feel like it to you atm though.

My ds also started to sleep longer through the day at 16 months (1x 2hr nap), previously he only would have 2x 40 min naps during day. Don't know if this is relevant to your ds, but thought I'd mention it.

Default Re: 15 month sleep issues at night time

Only just saw this andie.

DS is doing much better threw the night. The going to sleep is still requiring us at the door which is fine , although I'm not sure how we will do that when there is only one of us at home since we also sit at our ds1 (3.5) door as well.