Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone recommend Dr for early circumsision VIC

Default Can anyone recommend Dr for early circumsision VIC

I still have a while to go but I have a feeling I will need to book Noah in as soon as possible to have it done prior to 6 weeks. I don't want to put him through anestetic(sp?) when he is 6 months old if he doesn't need it. I live in Horsham, is there anyone in Ballarat or on the way to Melbourne that does it and what is the approx cost? Thanks!

Sarah

Last edited by Sair; January 17th, 2007 at 07:53 PM.

Hi Sarah

Is Ringwood near you? Circumcision Australia have a surgery there and they are really good. Its all they do. They use the plastibell method which is a very humane way of doing it. I wil PM you their site.
    Last edited by hannanat; January 17th, 2007 at 07:27 PM.

Ok, just realised I can't PM you, lol. I will email it to you instead

Caro, I didn't mean to sound agro about it, I will edit my post, but I just know a lot of people get defensive about it and try to make their opinion known, I just wanted to avoid that.

Natalie, thanks for the info I will look into it!

You're welcome, Sarah. Good luck with it all

Just wanted to say - in our religion we circumcise at 8 days.. They don't have anesthetic then (not usre about pain at 6 months though?), and my baby cried just when they took the nappy off. My nephew even slept through his.

Although they do give like 2 drops of wine, but i doubt that does anything.

Nat - what age do you guys do it?

As early as possible, Yael. Apparently its a lot easier the younger they are. Is you're Dr near Horsham, Yael?

Melbourne is good as well since Noah may need to go to the Childrens Hospital for his club foot for the plasters. It is only 4 hours away. I was thinking of looking to see if there was any Jewish churches around here to see if a Rabbi might do it. I have a few months anyway....

Hi - we had Alex done by a dr. herschell goldman - we works out of hampton park which is about 40 mins from the city on the monash freeway. He was fantastic, very thorough, went through everything for about an hour and he's done 1000's of them. I don't know how it was done, I don't know about the bell thing mentioned above.

I think the actual proceedure was $100 and the consultation beforehand was $140. You can claim some back on the consultation, but not on the procedure. We don't have private health care - it might be different if you do.

I know a lot of ppl who have used Dr. Goldman and who recommend him highly.

I don't know about costs, when we did it is wasn't a medical thing per se, so we didn't pay that way (you pay the mohel (Hebrew word for person who did it) what you feel is appropriate for the procedure).

DH also just walked in and said lots of his extended family used Dr Goldman.

I don't think you will find any synagoges outside of metropolitan melbourne, and i think you will find it hard to find a mohel (not all rabbis are mohels - its a specific training to do this), and infact a lot of mohels aren't rabbi's just to make it confusing!) who will do it as a medical procedure unless they are a dr, as for us its more of a religious ritual.

Good luck

I was present, but on the other side of the room cos i didn't want to see.

I wanted to be there so i could feed him straight away after.

Sarah - There is one doctor in Geelong that does it - His name is Mr North. I think its $125 and then a follow up visit a couple of weeks later. I think you have to have it done by 6w?
    I'm still considering it, and thankfully I have my GPs appt today, so I can get a referral for it, and maybe get in in time.
    Not sure if Geelong is easier for you than Melbourne.

Yeah Geelong may be easier, it is confusing as I may need to go to Melbourne for his club foot issue anyway. I like the sound of Dr Goldman though. How experienced is this Dr North, do you know? I already want the best for a boy that isn't even born yet, he is going to be spoilt that is for sure.

Does anyone else have problems with email alerts, I am subscribed as far as I know but not getting any alerts for any posts. I will re subscribe and if it doesn't work I am off to the Mod help I guess...

Barb, do you know what medical center Dr Goldman is at? I can't track him down through yellow pages or white pages...

mooshie Guest

i am another who can highly recommend Dr Goldman, he has a surgery out in hampton park, so it is quite a way for you sarah.

oh we had our ds done by dr goldman at a private hospital (he came in to do the procedure) when our ds was around 24hrs old, he didn't have the bell he had it done the other way (the cut), was absolutely fine, only time he cried was when they took the nappy off and he did a huuuuuuuuuuuuge poo, so cleaning him up before the op was the only distress he showed.

the other reason i wanted it done whilst we were in hospital was for just in case, he started bleeding or something, however there was no need to worry as he was absolutely fine. i wasn't tho, especially when he was on 15 min obs after the procedure, the midwives certainly changed their attitude towards me unfortunately, hey but it is all up to the parent.

anyway sorry going off topic. dr goldman - great

Sarah - Mr North is the only person in Geelong who does it, and apparently he does a fair few of them. I dont know any more than that - sorry.

I will try and get contact numbers for the two then and see what I can get organized. From what I hear they can be very busy since there are few left that do it anymore. I am not too concerned about what method is used, it isn't like Noah will remember any pain anyway, I prefer the swiftness of the snip anyway I think, the plastibell takes a few days to get the foreskin off I think. Oh the things you learn eh?

mooshie Guest

sarah

i am pretty sure dr goldman is at hampton park medical clinic, his name is hershall. if you want i can get the number from my aunty as my cousin recently had him done their as well, before she went back home to the states. her son was done at the clinic at around 2wks of age.

let me know and i will try and get the number if you want it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast