Thread: What's happened to my sleeping little girl?

Question What's happened to my sleeping little girl?

DD is almost 2 and has been waking during the night lately screaming. This is really odd because she very rarely wakes during the night and has been like that for a long time. When she wakes I go in and she stops crying, but if I try to walk out again she starts to scream. At bedtime she sometimes has a little grizzle, but nothing major and it only lasts up to 5 minutes. But the night wakings she just screams and carries on. I tried a night light, but she still woke. She doesn't seem to be in pain at all, she just wants someone to stand at her cot with her. I get that, but why now? Why after almost 2 years does she want this? Nothing has changed. Not one thing. I have resorted to putting her in my bed twice now and I do not want to continue that (even then she fluffs around for ages). I'm starting get anxiety before bed wondering how many times she will wake and how crap I will feel tomorrow. I feel like I have a newborn again.
    Does anyone know what could be going on? Any similar experiences? It's just really strange to me.

Default Re: What's happened to my sleeping little girl?

The past week ds has been doing the exact same thing. First he was waking at 3.30am, then 2.30am, then 1.30am. He wakes up crying (totally out of character), then seems to just want me/dh/cuddle etc. The night before last I spent an hour cuddling/resettling in his cot. He seemed happy enough, but didn't want to let go of my hand. I kept thinking he was asleep and trying to lighten my grip on his hand but as a soon as he felt my hand relax he would grip it harder. In the end I bought him in to my bed, it was 3am & I just needed to be laying down. I think he just needs some extra comfort atm, I have no idea why. I wondered if he was teething, getting sick, tummy ache etc - but I think you can drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out. He also went off his food for that week too. And his day time time naps went from 2 hrs to 1 hr. :-/

Last night he slept from 8pm-6am, I am crossing my fingers that things have gone back to normal now. He also ate all his dinner last night for the first time in a week. Willingly too! And he slept for 2 hrs during the day today as well. It probably doesn't feel like it, but your dd will sleep through again... you just have to hold on until she does... can dh give you a hand with settling her at night?
    I am also finding that he is more 'assertive' atm. Today he got cross at couple of things (ie not being allowed to touch the bin), cracked it and started whacking my legs (totally out of character) and whinging. He then got overwhelmed and started crying and cuddling my legs. Then we sat on the couch, cuddled until he calmed down. It's like he didn't even understand what had a happened either, maybe not understanding what he's feeling/thinking & how to express it.

Anyway, I know I've just talked about my ds but wanted to let you know I'm experiencing the same. I hope your dd starts sleeping again soon, I feel your pain. Not being able to sleep when you desperately need to is just horrible. :-(

Between ages 2-3 toddlers go through a brain shift. It's possible that could be one cause for it? Have you tried googling "night terrors in 2 year olds"?

My son used to do it when I'd put him to sleep and he'd been overtired. Could being over tired be a possibility at all?

This has happened twice to me. A few months ago and last week. He just cried or grizzled when I tried to leave the room. I ended up laying in his bed with him and cudddling him really tight until he fell into a deep sleep. It took a while but for me its easier as he is in his own bed. I kept thinking this better not become a habit as I need my sleep too. But so far its just been the twice. I think its because he is missing me during the day. I know your dd is in childcare too. Have their been any changes at childcare. DS two best friends have progressed to the next room and I think he is really missing them too.

I hope she settles down again for you. Since she is a good sleeper I think she will be good again.

If your DH is like mine he is not much use through the night and to be honest DS prefers me at night anyway. Lucky me ha ha.

Have you thought about a big little girls bed? Maybe she is ready? Just a thought, not to pressure you Having DS in a single bed means there is room for me instead of coming into our bed.

Thanks ladies, Dot Face I did think of night terrors and a few people mentioned it too. I will def look into this and see what the go is with it. Andie, I am interested in everyones experiences so don't stress! Vic, I am worried if I shift her to a toddler bed she will just walk out and into my room anyway. Plus she is hard to get to sleep most nights, we put her down at 8 and she will usually muck around in there for at least 30 minutes before going to sleep!

Daycare said she had done the same thing with her nap the other day too. But tonight her cheek is bright red too so it may be a bit of teething. I noticed her top second molars are through so we are just waiting on the bottom ones now.

ETA: Has anyone used a nightlight and has it helped? I have one, but it's a bit too bright I think.
    Last edited by Marley&Me; June 5th, 2015 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andie78 View Post
    I am also finding that he is more 'assertive' atm. Today he got cross at couple of things (ie not being allowed to touch the bin), cracked it and started whacking my legs (totally out of character) and whinging. He then got overwhelmed and started crying and cuddling my legs. Then we sat on the couch, cuddled until he calmed down. It's like he didn't even understand what had a happened either, maybe not understanding what he's feeling/thinking & how to express it.
    We have had the exact same thing, my usually calm,happy boy has started getting so worked up, he wanders off to find something to throw, yells at tit a bit, then goes and picks it up again.
    But he is a shocking sleeper, who has just started sleeping,so definitely something odd about this age!

Oh we've had tantrums here for ages! Andie, that happens to me a few times a day, except I don't get the after cuddles

She didn't wake last night so it was a good night. Fingers crossed it was just a phase. But upon reading further into the matter I think it may be nightmares....

We had 'night time tantrums' earlier in the year every couple of nights she would have a full blown screaming tantrum (in bed with me) that went for up to 20mins. Weird. Wouldn't let me near her and would get out of bed and sit next to the bed until she eventually calmed down and climbed back in. Not fun at 3am.
    Haven't had one for a month or so TOUCHWOOD
    No idea what it was, I think they just do weird things around this age, a lot of changes going on. Hope it stops x

Well the wakings have stopped so I guess it was nightmares. So glad she is sleeping well again. It's awful seeing them so upset in the middle of the night.