Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of vaccinations...

Liz ikwym... I had already discussed it with my GP and she was happy to separate the injections... but if I *can* get the imported separate MMR vax then its definitely worth it IMO. If the govt won't admit that there is a link then IMO its up to us to try and open up the doors for choice for parents, so that they can make an informed decision...

*hugs*
    Cailin

you have to import the vax's from UK to give them seperate measles & mumps & then rubella, australia does not have them seperated only together.
    beckles

But what I mean is do dr's allow you to do that? Sorry should have clarified

*hugs*
    Cailin

oh sorry i missed a few posts when i posted so didn't understand the question, i think you would have to find a really co-operative GP and then order through a pharmacy, perhaps online, dr's should be happy to help you with it, it is legal and remember you are a consumer so yes dr's do do it and when i spoke to my GP she would if i had agreed, i guess the key is a 'good' gp.
    someone asked the benefits, well i guess as someone said it can reduce the immunological overload that the body feels when given a vax, also some parents only want the mumps and rubella and opt out of having the measles. although i haven't found research on whether it is just measle vax or the MMR that is the link to autism hence my boys have not had it at all.
    beckles

I am another who researched this extensively before making a decision. In my case though, I decided to vaccinate. I am not 100% convinced I made the right decision, but I made it because on the information I have available, it seems that the vaccinations are safer than the diseases they prevent. I know people will argue that measles, chicken pox etc are not dangerous, but a lot of information I have gathered suggests that the complications from these diseases are more common if the disease is contracted, than the complications from the vaccinations IYKWIM? As I have said, I do not know if I have made the right decision or not. But at least I made an informed decision and I think that's the best anyone can do. And I have to say that I was glad Jack had been vaccinated when there was a case of menningicoccal at his day care last year.

As an aside, the info the health dept (communicable diseases) gave me when we had the menningicoccal scare is different to what Michael has said. I can't remember the details now, but I posted the details in another thread at the time. From memory I was told that the vaccination is just for one strain, but it's the strain that is more likely to be serious and it is something like 90% effective. I do remember he told me that we only have strains a and c in Aus, not b (or not very commonly anyway). It just goes to show how much contradictory information is out there. How can anyone really know what to do?

Here is what I posted about meningicoccal vaccine at the time (I obviously got confused b/w a and b strains in my previous post):

BTW for those who are interested, the health dept guy who I asked numerous questions of said that the menn C vaccination is effective in preventing menningicoccal c in 19/20 kids (so isn't 100%). And the only two strains of menningicoccal that are usually seen in Aus are B and C and there is no vaccine for B. However B is usually (but not always) less severe than C. They don't yet know what strain this baby has.

i have researched some of this info regarding thimersol in vaxs and because some vax's contain 'trace' amounts they do not have to disclose it. but from 2002 yes most of the heavy metal was removed from vaxs
    beckles

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieR View Post
    Here is what I posted about meningicoccal vaccine at the time (I obviously got confused b/w a and b strains in my previous post):

BTW for those who are interested, the health dept guy who I asked numerous questions of said that the menn C vaccination is effective in preventing menningicoccal c in 19/20 kids (so isn't 100%). And the only two strains of menningicoccal that are usually seen in Aus are B and C and there is no vaccine for B. However B is usually (but not always) less severe than C. They don't yet know what strain this baby has.
    On examination, I stand corrected on the nature of the vaccination. The one used here in Australia DOES only protect against the C-strain.

However I think your health professional was misinformed. At one stage there were quite a few deaths resulting from C-strain infections, but worldwide and overall the B-strain is understood to be much more lethal. If you do a search for meningococcal on Wikipedia, it has some easy-to-digest information.

Just wanted to say that the law or directive was passed to ban thiomersol (thimerisol) from the manufacture of vaccines, but it's widely acknowledged that the old thimerisol containing ones weren't replaced. They were used. It was a directive to manufacturers, not health professionals, if that makes sense. Anything that was in circulation was used and replaced with thimerisol free stock.
    Last edited by hannanat; January 13th, 2007 at 09:30 AM.

Wow. I wonder if it's out of circulation yet? How would you ever know??

I also wanted to add, I have received 3 emails and 2 MSN messages today asking about Layla and her autism caused by the MMR vaccine. Just wanted to make clear again that it was not the MMR that was the problem for my girl. Layla received InfanrixHepB, Oral Polio and PedvaxHIB on the 26/6/02 and was hospitalised at Westmead Childrens Hospital the next day

Snap, Liz. I'm sure it would be out of circulation by now, hun. I'm not sure of the expiry dates but I don't think they have this long a life span, hence the reason for the thimerisol in the first place - it's a preservative - and I said I was going to stay away, lol - yeah right.

Putting on my mod hat as well. I understand that this is a topic which some are passionate for and some against. I am passionate about this topic and to avoid confrontation or offending others I have stayed out of quite a bit of this.

I just want to say that personally I think that if you have information you want to share with someone who has a differing opinion, please refrain from pushing it too hard. Others have made their decisions not based on mal-information but from the information they have chosen to agree with. For instance you can read information that is pro-vaccination and it may speak true to your heart as a parent. Well done, you have made an informed decision. Now I have read information that is anti-vaccinations (and certain ones yes, but I'm not getting into that arguement) and have made a decision accordingly. What someone says or quotes here may make me look further into my decision, but what has been shared here isn't anything new either.

We vaccinate but we delay it a bit. Imran will be getting the ones scheduled for 6 months this month (at 9 months) and the 12 month ones spaced out between 15 and 18 months.
    I'm another that is partly motivated by the greater good

MellieC Guest

Hi I just wanted to add my story to this debate on Autism being linked to MMR vaccine.
    My son is 10 in June he has Autism.
    When I took my beautiful baby boy to go & get his MMR at 12months of age he was like any other normal 12 month old
    A few days after his MMR he was quite sick I took him to the doctors & got told it wasnt linked to is MMR shot that he had just picked up a stomach bug.
    He got better after a few days but in the weeks & months following he seemed more & more unsettled & seemed to regress in his milstones
    By 15 months his behaviour & development had changed dramatically.
    I went to numerous doctors but got told not to worry I was young overeacting first time mum but I knew something was wrong with my child!
    It took until my son was 2 and a half to be diagnosed with Autism!
    I had been to yet another speech therapist (my son was still not talking)! And she said to me I think it is something more than just his speech & I said to her do you think he is Autistic & she said well its not for me to say but YES
    After that she refered me to a great Doctor who got the ball rolling & in the months to follow my son was formally diagnosed.
    My son will be 10 in June, he is still non verbal, in nappies, has challenging behaviours & goes to a special school.
    We have to take each day as it comes some days are good some not so good.
    I love my son with all my heart but it is hard not to grieve for the child he could have been.
    I am not trying to scare you all but from a mother of an Autistic child I just wanted to make you aware that things can go wrong.
    My son is fully immunised.
    My daughter is 5 & she is fully immunised apart from MMR.
    I am so scared to get her MMR shot.
    I saw my beautiful baby boy change in front of my eyes & there was nothing I could do to stop it
    So I am not saying dont immunise your children against MMR I am just saying to keep an open mind & look at all options.

I'm very sorry Mellie. I know exactly how you feel as my dd was the same, though from a different vaccine. Have you tried any dietary or biomedical tratments for your little boy? They are great for non verbal kids. My heart goes out to you and your family.

oh mellie i am so sorry to here your story. it must be so hard and frustrating for you. good luck and gentle hugs
    beckles

Mellie, I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to see your son regress and diagnosed with Autism. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast