Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favourites on the BBQ

Smile Favourites on the BBQ

Hi Everyone,

I'm having two couples round for dinner - 6 adults, no bubs as yet and i was thinking of doing a casual BBQ. Just wondering what everyone's favourite things for a BBQ dinner are, including salads and accompaniments. Preferably not too unhealthy (weight loss prior to TTC for me).

Thanks in advance for your brilliant ideas!

Ruth

I love marinated chicken kebabs and rissoles
    Just a nice tossed salad
    and sorry but for me it has to be potato bake

Ellibam Guest

my fave salad is lettuce tomatoe cucumber bacon mango avocado cheese with ceaser dressing!!mmmm

i like any thing bbqed

Chicken bits or kebabs marinated!
    Lamb is always yummy - steaks carved into slices can be added to a salad or you can serve with pita bread and tzatziki(mmmmm interesting spelling :P) and make souvlakis!
    Roast pumpkin salad
    Skewers of vegies - eggplant, zucchini, capsicum, anything else you like!
    Fresh crusty bread.

IF you wanna splurge - half a scampi each. Seriosly orgasmic in your mouth!

smiles4u Guest

Thumbs up

Pop a bottle of chilled Paul Newman's Creamy Caesar Salad Dressing on the table 4 every1 2 add 2 their own green salad.

Had at my BBQ recently ... Every1 LOVED it !!!

It's allowed on the Tony Ferguson diet, ... So don't worry there ok !!

Av a super BBQ

We love to BBQ a whole boned lamb, usually marinated and have a garden salad and some jacket potatoes. You just whack the lanb on the grill or hotplates and cook until you how you like it ie; med/rare

Baked potatoes, corn in foil with a little butter and herbs or chilli, flat mushrooms, or chargrilled vegies (eg, eggplant, capsicum, sweet potato, pumpkin, zucchini, asparagus) are all good accompaniments.

Marinated chicken breasts - lemon juice, garlic, lots of black pepper, little bit of olive oil, herbs, or ginger, soy and lime, are great - easy and healthy. Or fish is great done in foil with a little butter, herbs, white wine, pepper. Good sausages from a butcher are also good!

Green or garden salad, a good healthy dressing is 1 tbls olive oil to 3 tbls orange juice, 1 tbls white wine vinegar, 1 tsp dijon mustard and 1 clove crushed / very finely grated or chopped garlic.

If you can find any, a good quality homemade or specialty tomato sauce really makes a difference compared to the usual commercial sauces! Some good delis will have them.

Enjoy your BBQ!

I always serve a "plain" tomato salad.......we have an abundance of home grown tomatoes at the moment too, which spurs me on.....

Just slice large tomatoes and lay then on a white plate, overlapping.

Then sprinkle with a little salt, caster sugar and black pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and tear over a few fresh basil leaves.

I always love BBQ'd field mushrooms too.....just remove the stalks and dot with some garlic butter and BBQ......divine.

Corn on the cobs (the little juicy frozen cobbettes are best) wrapped in foil with some butter and paprika and BBQ'd for about 30 mins.......

In terms of meat: I am a bit of a traditionalist. Trimmed sirloins marinaded in nothing more than olive oil & lemon juice, and some good meaty sausages from a butcher........and Frenched lamb chops........

Ok i am a huge potato bake fan, as well as corn on the cob wrapped in foil. However we were at a friends a few weeks back and they put us onto the pre packaged John West garlic prawns and sweet chilli calamri and they were very nice and I don't normally eat these foods. You can find them in the section of the cold stuff near prepackaged mince, chicken etc. near the deli.
    Oh and nothing can beat a nice long crunchy french stick with a little marg/butter.

Great suggestions everyone! I really appreciate your ideas. I'm going to be using them all over the next few months I think! For this weekend, I think i'll be doing:
    Lucy's tomato salad
    Salad with Paul Newman's Creamy Caesar Salad Dressing - thanks Smiles4you.
    BBQ mushrooms (thanks Suse and Lucy for the tips)
    Corn in foil (thanks to many people who suggested this!)
    Tanstar's roast pumpkin salad
    French stick per Kas' suggestion
    Beef skewars with rosemary, garlic and redwine marinade (came up with this idea on the train this morning)

Tanstar - what do you put in your roast pumpkin salad?

I'm going to use all your seafood ideas for the next time I have my "couple who are doctors" around (they splurge big when we go around to theirs, so I feel obliged to lay on something nice for them).

My favs are:

Corn on the cob straight on the bbq.

Chop some veggies (carrots, zucchini, potato, sweet potato, etc) into sticks and spray with oil and sprinkle herbs on then cook on the bbq hotplate.

Get some nice crusty bread cut into thick slices and put garlic butter or herb butter on both sides, brown each side on the bbq.

Coles have really nice honey bbq sausages, I like those and I dont like normal ones.

Default Your favourite BBQ recipes?

Well, my oven died last night and it's going to be a week before anyone can come and look at it. So, it's time to pull out the good old BBQ instead.

All I've ever cooked on the BBQ is your usual steaks, snags and kebabs and occassionally a roast - my BBQ has a hood with a spit.

So people tell me your favourite BBQ recipes. I need some inspiration!

Just bumping for some fresh summer ideas

bumping again!!

*drools*

I LOVE BBQ pineapple

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123