Thread: Fish on/in the BBQ?

Default Fish on/in the BBQ?

After the thread about what everyone's doing for Chrissy lunch, I asked my mum what the plans were for ours. She hadn't any real plans, so we decided we're going to surprise "the boys" (my dad, brothers, and DH) with a nice proper feast. Yesterday after seeing a Jamie Oliver show, we decided we'd have a shot at cooking fish on the barbecue - the only way we can cook up there - but have no idea what to do.

So, hit me with your best fish-on-a-barbie recipes!

Hmmm. I've never done Fish on a BBQ before!

You can wrap them in foil and BBQ them.
    If you want to do them on the grill you need a wire frame so they don't fall apart when they are cooked.

Grab a whole snapper, you will probably need a couple depending on size, and leave it whole. Have the fishmonger scale and clean it for you.

In the cavity of the fish slice some ginger, lemongrass, lime slices, fresh coriander, sliced eshallots (stems and all) and chilli if you like them. Lay the fish on a sheet of foil lined with baking paper, and drizzle with soy sauce and pepper. Wrap it up like a present, make sure the edges are sealed, and pop it on the plate of the BBQ, close the hood if you have one. Will take about 15 minutes per kg, the flesh should still be firm and just flaking, and opaque.

If you want more "sauce" in the foil after, add a knob of butter.

I've just pre-prepared them, ready to be wrapped up and cooked

I've never really dealt with whole fish before, aside from catching them. My Pa always prepared the fish we caught if we were eating them, I never even watched him

Were they super fresh chick? A full 3 days is a long time for fresh fish to be prepared for.
    Did you use citrus? The acid in it will 'cook' the fish well and truly before Christmas day...Just keep an eye on it and make sure they are still ok to eat on Christmas day xx

Yeah I second what lime slice has said, we have fish on the BBQ at least once a fortnight and at the very earliest it would be prepared the night before but not any earlier.

If your putting the hood down make sure the burners directly under the fish are not on.

Oh noooo I thought of do the right thing, save us a heap of time up there... They're in the freezer though, if that makes a difference?

Oh, yep, it does!
    Take it out the night before you want to cook it and pop it in the fridge.

Foothills of the Blue Mountains, West Sydney, NSW

Quote Originally Posted by LimeSlice View Post
    Grab a whole snapper, you will probably need a couple depending on size, and leave it whole. Have the fishmonger scale and clean it for you.

In the cavity of the fish slice some ginger, lemongrass, lime slices, fresh coriander, sliced eshallots (stems and all) and chilli if you like them. Lay the fish on a sheet of foil lined with baking paper, and drizzle with soy sauce and pepper. Wrap it up like a present, make sure the edges are sealed, and pop it on the plate of the BBQ, close the hood if you have one. Will take about 15 minutes per kg, the flesh should still be firm and just flaking, and opaque.

If you want more "sauce" in the foil after, add a knob of butter.
    I just have to say that sounds delicious!!! Oh I am definitely using those flavoursome ingredients for our BBQ fish on Christmas day (only difference is we will just be buying fillet, not whole fish). Thanks for sharing, yummy!

Sent from my iPhone, using Tapatalk