Thread: In need of some fancy BBQ ideas

Default In need of some fancy BBQ ideas

Hey guys,

I really need some fancy but not too complex ideas for NYE bbq

We are just so sick of snags and burgers

I don't have anything specific, but recommend marinating the meat! It makes a huge difference LOL. Either buy some marinades, or do a search for some. They're really simple, just do it the night before, and then cook the meat as normal.

Also, perhaps do some kebab skewer things? I'm sure people will have some recipes for you

I was going to say skewers too - I had a recipe for rattatooie (can't spell sorry) skewers that was great, but I can't find it unfortunally - it was eggplant, zucchini, capsicum and maybe other veggies marrinaded then threaded on skewers and BBQ'd, but I guess just use your immagination.

I love sliced zucchini and potatoes on the barby.

Marinated Chicken wings are great

****tail franks are very nice on the barby too.

You could also do ham steaks with pineapple.

You can get some very nice flavoured rissoles (the lamb cheese and honey ones are yummo!!) from safeway/woollies.

I like to do nice salads. I always make a potato salad with bacon and mint in it. And the Asian noodle salad on the back of the Changs fried noodle packet is another yummy one.

Hope this gives a bit of inspiration

Have fun!

I do a yummy roast veg & lamb salad - you marinade some lamb in balsamic vinegar, garlic & olive oil then roast some veggies (I do pumpkin, capsicum, onion and eggplant) then bbq the lamb and put all together with some spinach & rocket, and some pinenuts. You can use the marinade as the dressing its sooooo yummy! And super easy...

My DH does a yummy teppanyaki on the BBQ - cook beef, chicken, prawns etc and some vegies like julienned carrots, onions, capsicums, and serve with a ginger and soy sauce. It's delish.

I make a d'lish potato bake which is always a huge hit! (and soo easy!)
    Peel & cut potoatoes (I cube/dice them, but you can slice them).
    Microwave until cooked - usually about 8 - 10min, but you dont want them to go 'mushy'.
    Mix 600ml thickened cream & 1 pkt french onion soup mix. Put potatoes in oven dish and pour cream mix over. Sprinkle with grated cheese & bake at 180oC for about 20 mins.
    If I have time, I also cook some diced bacon & frozen chopped onion in frying pan & throw that in.
    SUPER easy & guarantee everyone will love it!!!
    P.S - for 600ml cream I usually do about 6-8 potatoes.

We buy these absolutely divine butterfly prawns that are marinated in garlic butter - cook from frozen on the BBQ for 3 mins and they are done! sooooooo tasty even for frozen prawns

great ideas guys!

trillian, where do you buy them from? Also, can you please authorise my group membership?

I just get mine from my local butcher, but you can get them at woolies too I think. The brand I get is A&T Trading and they are in a black box with a pic of the prawns on the front. It's a 1kg box and they have no heads, so it's a genuine 1kg kwim? I got mine for $34. They have a website too - google attrading and it's the 7th listing - they might know of VIC distributors.

ETA - you're also approved ROFL.

I will definitely check those out. Especially with no heads!

And thanks for the approval...I;ve been patiently waiting... NOT! haha

Buy a lamb leg, cut the bone out and 'butterfly' it into a big flat piece of meat. Marinate in nearly anything you can imagine then cook on the BBQ! Mmmmm

Goes really well with grilled mediterranean veggies like strips of zucchini, capsicum, eggplant chargrilled.

Another fave is to get big flat mushrooms, pull the stalk out, fill with pesto and top with cheese, just plop them filled on to the BBQ and they will cook thru like that. Mmmmm.

1. Butterfly lamb leg is a great idea and really yummy - our local butcher will butterfly it for you so you may have a local that will too. You can also get butterflied spatch**** or corn fed chickens which are great and easy to cook too.
    2. Hmmmm can't go past moreton bay bugs on the barbie but not sure how easy to source or $$ they are where you are.
    3. Baked whole fish wrapped in baking paper then foil and stuff its cavity with big chunks of lemon, lime and dill. Score the skin and rub w a little sea salt and olive oil. Is very impressive looking too and everyoe just serves themselves off the whoole fish. Works well with fillets too, just wrap them as individual parcels and pop some slices of lemon / lime / herbs and salt and pepper. Goes well with a simple citrus, mango and red onion salsa.
    Good luck!

Another really good 'fish on the bbq wrapped up in foil' recipe is lime slices, topped with chilli, coriander, spring onion, julienned ginger and carrot (you could also add red capsicum), then the fish on top, with a splash of soy. Leave a bit of space in the foil so that it steams nicely. Works really well with salmon or tuna, or a white fillet like spanish mackerel. Top with fresh chopped coriander.

Chicken thigh fillets marinated in ginger, soy, garlic, honey and sesame oil are great too, or tandoori chicken (tandoori paste mixed with a bit of yoghurt)

Prawns with a little garlic and a splash of beer (makes them really sweet and tender).

Butterflied lamb is fantastic. With garlic, lemon and rosemary, or a Moroccan spice rub and yoghurt.

A sumer easy but fancy TV-chef-looking nibblie is fetta cubes wrapped in zucchini. Buy long but not too thick zucchinis and using a veggie peeler slice off long, thin strips. Then take your cube of fetta (Greek fetta is best and doesn't need to be more than mouthful-sized) and wrap it in two strips (hard to explain but you sort of put two zucchini strips at right angles to eachother with the fetta at the corner and wrap the alternating bits of zucchini around the fetta so it holds together). Then BBQ on a flat plate - the zucchni will be nice and charred while the fetta will be warn and creamy....mmmmmmm.....

A bit late, but here are a couple of pics from our New Year's Eve BBQ - it worked really well for a big group, but you could do the same thing on a much, much smaller scale for around 20 people.

I allowed one hour of cooking time for each 4.5kg of meat....so it needed 11 hours!!
    Click Here
    Last edited by TheBear; January 4th, 2009 at 08:26 AM.