Thread: Vegan/vego BBQs

Default Vegan/vego BBQs

Hi ladies!!

Dh and I are new to the vegan/veggie lifestyle. Were also gluten/soy free. We do eat fish once a wk tho so not 'fully' veggie. We do this for health reasons not ethical.

I was wondering what you girls take for a communal BBQ gathering? Coming into summer were going to be doing BBQs every night I suspect. I already have a stunning raw mayo I put on my potato salads, just perfected falafels but that's it!! I'm grasping at straws now!!! Any advice/recipes would be much appreciated!! X

---------
    Leah and Dan
    Lucy 5
    Minnie 2
    Pippi due 29 sept

YOU are what YOU eat!

My SIL and brother do wonderful tandoori sweet potatoes that go on the BBQ. You do cubes on skewers or slices.
    Grilled eggplant is also yummo.
    Vego kebabs - just cube your favourite veges and stick them on skewers.

Is cous cous gluten free? If so cous cous salad is scrumdiddlyumptious.

Ooo tandoori potato sounds YUMM!!

Umm no I dnt think we can have cous cous as it's a grain but we can sub that for quinoa! Ta for ur tips!!

---------
    Leah and Dan
    Lucy 5
    Minnie 2
    Pippi due 29 sept

YOU are what YOU eat!

Check out The Post Punk Kitchen, and The Thoughtful Kitchen, just google them for the addresses x

Our fave is chilli corn on the bbq. Peel back the leaves, take out the silk, rub on spread of choice (butter, marg etc) and shake on chilli falkes, fold the leaves back up and cook on the bbq. I also do lentil & vegie patties, vegie skewers (with egglant, mushroom, capsicum and zucchini). I also do a mean lentil, fetta, and beetroot salad which is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by LimeSlice View Post
    Check out The Post Punk Kitchen, and The Thoughtful Kitchen, just google them for the addresses x
    Will do!! Thanks!!

---------
    Leah and Dan
    Lucy 5
    Minnie 2
    Pippi due 29 sept

YOU are what YOU eat!

Quote Originally Posted by Nai View Post
    Our fave is chilli corn on the bbq. Peel back the leaves, take out the silk, rub on spread of choice (butter, marg etc) and shake on chilli falkes, fold the leaves back up and cook on the bbq. I also do lentil & vegie patties, vegie skewers (with egglant, mushroom, capsicum and zucchini). I also do a mean lentil, fetta, and beetroot salad which is awesome.
    Lentil and veggie patty recipe?? Were just abouts to try dh back on corn too! I hope he can have it as they sound divine!! I miss feta severely allergic now

---------
    Leah and Dan
    Lucy 5
    Minnie 2
    Pippi due 29 sept

YOU are what YOU eat!

Lentil burgers
    Veggie skewers with cherry tomatoes, button mushrooms, capsicum & red onio

And HALOUMI!!

Add some cubed haloumi to your veggie skewers - Delish!

We also do mushroom caps stuffed with pesto of your choice and a sprinkle of cheese, either with or without breadcrumbs.

Ainsley does a nice veggo stuffed capsicum, it has a tasty couscous mixture inside.

If you are after a quick casual BBQ we just usually use some of the substitute meat products like Frys which you can get from Woolworths.

I recently made a great salad with brown rice & quinoa. It was a not-quite-caesar salad. Very yummy. Not vegan though, the mayo had eggs in it.

Do you have the vegetarian TMX cookbook?

I used to be vegetarian. I used to take my own lentil burgers to BBQs. You can grill your own saganaki. Lots of different salad options, grilled vegies etc. The quinoa tabbouleh in the GF TMX cookbook is great. You can make a vegetarian frittata/quiche. Obviously not BBQ'd , but a good addition. Loads of dips and sauces can be used to make food interesting. BBQ fish can be very yummy.

cous cous is not gluten free, though apparently you can find gluten free versions.

For gluten free, grain free couscous, you can blitz cauliflower til its all grainy then saute in olive oil.

Do lentil burgers with different varieties of lentils, beans, or added vegies.
    Nut loaf slices are yummy barbecued.
    TVP burgers - I'm just mastering these.
    Cook polenta with some chilli and olive bits, then grill big chunks of that.
    Experiment with vegies: cabbage sliced lengthways, cos lettuce, broccoli with almond paste is delish.
    Risotto balls (I thicken with psyllium, but I'm sure you have an alternative!)