thread: Roast Beef in the slow cooker?

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2006
    NSW Central Coast

Roast Beef in the slow cooker?

Ihave a 1.3 kg piece of beef (no bones). How do I cook it in the sc? Do I need to add oil? As well as potatoes pumpkin, etc...And will I be able to make gravey with the juices later? Is it too late to do now for a 6pm dinner tonight? TIA

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2008
    Tassie

I chuck it all in, the meat, vegies with a little water on the bottom (about 1/2 cup). Pop it on high and leave it for 6 hours.

Once its dinner time, serve up allt he food and use the juices in the bottom for gravy.

I love my slow cooker, it's used almost daily here Today is mediteranian chicken and vegies. Last night curry chicken. Gotta be the best thing I own!

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2006
    NSW Central Coast

Thanks missymoo. I've put the meat on and will now do the veg and stuff. Hopefully it will cook in time.

Gotta be the best thing I own!
    I gotta second that! I only just got mine at mothers day but I have used it atleast once a week if not twice a week since I got it. Soo much easier to cook dinner with it, than getting through witching hour at my house, always when I'm cooking dinner!

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Sydney NSW

Great idea I think we will have this on Monday as i have a 1kg piece of topside beef.
    Please let me know how it went Lilias.

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2006
    NSW Central Coast

Turned out absolutely DELISH!!!!! DH was most impressed, even DD and DS really enjoyed it . YUMMO!!!

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Sydney NSW

Great!! Thats tomorrow night's dinner then.

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2006
    NSW Central Coast

Good choice, enjoy!!

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2008
    Tassie

hehe I love my slow cooker!!

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Sydney NSW

It smells great so i am hoping it tastes as good LOL Just abit worried about how little water is in the bottom but I guess I have only made casseroles before.

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2006
    NSW Central Coast

I just kept an eye on mine, I topped it up a bit too, jic! But only a little 'cause I also didn't want to drown it just before it was cooked.
    Hope it turned out! Mmmmm, yum! dinner is boring old spag bol here tonight...

Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Jul 2007
    melb

so meat doesn't dry out with you only having a small amount of water in the bottom??

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2008
    Tassie

never dried out here, I put in 1/2 cup per KG of meat roughly
    You keep the lid on so the liquid doesn't evaporate

Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Jul 2007
    melb

ok cool will have to try it!!!

i just remember reading that when doing caserroles etc that meat should be under liquid

Dec 2005

I do one cup of beef stock with my roast in the SC. If you're interested in trying something new, you could add some coke to it too. I've read that from a recipe on here somewhere. The taste is actually quite nice.

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2005
    Perth

So you dont completely cover the meat then with liquid? Do you turn the meat at all to prevent the topside from drying out? I have always done casseroles, curries etc where there is plenty of liquid so am worried about it drying out.

And did you put the vegies in at the same time? I assume they would be "soft" as opposed to "crispy" like when you do a roast in the oven.

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2008
    Tassie

yeah they vegies are soft, just how I like em, the meat doesn't dry out. I use my slow cooker almost daily and it's never dried out. It's always falling off the bone

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2006
    NSW Central Coast

I just put the tatoes and pumpkin into the oven on high for about 10mins or so to make the a bit crispy.