thread: HELP! Bad credit rating not our fault...

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jul 2007
    Rural NSW

Re: HELP! Bad credit rating not our fault...

What a nightmare - good luck with it all.

It might also be worthwhile calling ASIC to make sure the company has not been deregistered etc.

Good luck with it all

Aug 2009
    Melbourne

Update...

We finally got to speak to someone at the council who was willing to help and look into this for us.
    The bills/fines have been paid. The debt collector has either not been told or reconciled this, and has not closed the case.
    The lady at the council is writing a letter for us to submit to Veda to have the record cleared.

She then went on to say that there is currently $2000 owing that has not gone to the debt collectors yet, but is late, so can we please pay it. DH is going to drag FIL down there tomorrow to pay it.
    DH also updated the business address with the council, so there are no excuses.

While this is all happening, DH has submitted his resignation from the business.

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2009

You'll find that the person who listed the default is the only person who can ask Veda to remove the default.

So if council did, they need to communicate with Veda. Likewise, if a debt collector listed, they need to fax the removal to Veda.

Veda can be hard to deal with, plenty of "not my jurisdiction" crap played between Veda and creditors.

Sounds like a stressful time! Glad it's getting sorted (and your DH is stepping back)

Aug 2009
    Melbourne

So you don't think the letter from the council will be enough?

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2009

You can definitely try, can't hurt. I worked in a huge corp who were harsh defaulters. Every time I managed a Veda removal it was always after the customer was told by Veda the direction needed to come from us (they are very strict with their listings)

Here is what they say:

"If the entire listing is incorrect, such as an overdue debt that is inadvertently listed on your credit report by a credit provider e.g. the debt is statute barred, Veda, after investigating your complaint or on the advice of the credit provider, will remove the listing."

If you actually have a letter from council saying that the defaulted was listed in error - it will be removed entirely. If the letter says "account has been paid" the default will merely be updated to reflect it's paid.

Does the letter clearly state the default was listed in error? Make sure it's extremely clear this needs to be removed not just updated

Aug 2009
    Melbourne

Hmmm no, it says the account has been paid.

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2009

Ok. Get a stat dec with your dh's side and submit with the letter

Aug 2009
    Melbourne

You read my mind! That's exactly what I was thinking.

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2009

Just bare in mind that Veda don't remove defaults easily.

What they'll do is investigate the default and ask council to justify why they listed it. If they cn produce proof why your DH was defaulted and is within the code of credit, it will only be updated to paid (which means his credit will still remain impaired)

If it's found that he isn't liable for the debt, it'll be removed completely.

Ideally, if you can get the council to write something along the lines of "xyz was not responsible for this debt, the default was applied in error please remove completely" - Veda will remove.

The letter you currently have looks as though it'll be updated to "paid"........doesn't help getting through a finance application.

Let me know how you get on (PM if needed). Their criteria is strict but not impossible to maneuvere