Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips to save electricity please :)

Default Re: Tips to save electricity please :)

Our bill was $650 for the quarter. I have been told that this is normal. I work 3 days a week so I'm home 4 days. The house we rent is older so i know this is why. My brother lives in a new place and his water bills are like $60. Ours are $160. And dd only uses one extra bath a night compared to them.

We pay less than that in a house of 4 people, I'm at home 5 days a week, older house, teenage + school aged daughters. We live in SA so the price per kWh is more here than anywhere. BUT we have a gas space heater as main living area heating. I understand there are some highly efficient panel style heaters that are much cheaper to run, it might be worth lashing out a couple of hundred on one of those to save a lot more on power over the life of the heater. In the meantime, turn the heater's thermostat down and turn it off an hour or so before you stop using it because it will keep putting out heat for a while.

Also, look at the power settings on your laptop, set up the screen to power down to a low power setting after 10 mins of not using it, and to "sleep" when you're not on it during the day (saves power but starts up quicker). Also if you're using a modem, install a timer on it to switch it off when you're not using it. We have all this stuff set up to happen automatically. I don't mind paying for electricity we use, but i mind very much paying for power that is just leaking away for no reason.

I also meant to say check out how your power is charged. For eg, if you're on a smart meter it may be cheaper to do stuff at night than during the day.

Our bill is $300 per quarter. House is 118 years old and draughty. Our winter is much shorter than yours though, so much less heating! We have an electricity monitor, it's awesome. I'm same as OP as far as knowing exactly how much every single appliance uses. Our base level is $0.01 per hour in summer and $0.02 in winter. Goes up to 25c/hr if we have a single floodlight on! We paid $50 for it, I think?
    We also got a power board that switches off standby items. Haven't noticed a big difference. We don't use a dryer, they're power leeches.

Our bill is $300 per quarter. House is 118 years old and draughty. Our winter is much shorter than yours though, so much less heating! We have an electricity monitor, it's awesome. I'm same as OP as far as knowing exactly how much every single appliance uses. Our base level is $0.01 per hour in summer and $0.02 in winter. Goes up to 25c/hr if we have a single floodlight on! We paid $50 for it, I think?
    We also got a power board that switches off standby items. Haven't noticed a big difference. We don't use a dryer, they're power leeches.

Default Tips to save electricity please :)

ETA - sorry, just realised how unhelpful some of my comments have been (ie re buying stuff to save power) if $$$ are tight. Still, try to focus on what you can do & you will be able to achieve some savings without spending anything.

Is your oven gas? We have a gas oven but everything else is see electric, I put the oven on to warm the flat up, as gas is so much cheaper, and the oven seems to warm the place up quickly, so I don't need to leave it on, and often think of something to cook in it while is on.

Good idea wysiwig! Yes our oven is gas My brother just popped over and I asked him what his elec bills are. He said around $400 and they leave their ducted heating on low all day!! It's ceiling ducted too.
    can't work out why ours is so expensive! All our big appliances are relatively new and good ratings. It sucks that we are renting! i hate this house! I know it's something with the house because all our stuff is fine. The house is tiny so doesn't take much to heat, but it is always freezing inside. I block all draughts and close blinds. ARGH, just so annoyed by this. We just can't afford to pay for ridiculous bills. And we can't afford to move out!

Might be an insulation issue??
    Is the flooring tiles or floorboards? We have tiles and even when the heating is on, the tiles and tiled areas are freezing!

Maybe speak to the landlord and ask about insulation?

ours is up too, but we are running an extra heater (DS coslept last winter) and our insulation sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Marydean View Post
    Maybe speak to the landlord and ask about insulation?
    There is no way the landlord would fork out for insulation if there isn't any. DH will have a look today though. I haven't had very good experiences with landlords fixing their rentals. Our last place had a mouldy bathroom from water in the walls and they refused to fix it. Also the tiles lifted away in the dining area. A tiler came out to do a quote and then 2 weeks later the landlords 'handyman' came and fixed them, with the wrong colour tiles. The security screen had broke just before we moved in and thr same 'handyman' just bought heavy duty fly screen mesh and pop riveted it on to the old screen frame. So yeah, bit hesitant to ask for anything. Plus we just had our rent put up so we are now paying what others are paying for a new house. And we don't have the money to move out. Bit off topic sorry. I will get DH to check today....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12