Thread: Australian College of Midwives released a revised position statement on homebirth

Default Australian College of Midwives released a revised position statement on homebirth

The Australian College of Midwives has released a revised position statement on homebirth

Position Statements

It all sounds pretty reasonable. What was their position before it was revised?

such an improvement on the interim statement! I'm so glad they acknowledged that women have a right to continuity of care from a known midwife regardless of complications that might develop, and that it is the responsibility of maternity services & governments to have access agreements with midwives

I am so happy with this! The previous statement indicated there were various contraindications to homebirth (including a scarred uterus) leaving midwives in the situation where they would have to refuse to care for such women. This statement is much more common sense. I'm so pleased they have seen sense and that some of the protesting at the ACM AGM may have made some difference