Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 80% caesarian rate?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I'm reading a great book at the moment, Henci Goer's 'The Thinking Woman's Guide to A Better Birth' - great book recommended for all who are thinking of becoming pregnant or who are, very empowering and based on FACTS ... she said that in some models of midwifery care, the caeser rate was 4% - how's that for some stats?! There is plenty of evidence which indicates that at least half the caesar rates were not necessary in the Obstetric Model of Care. But see, if we don't have complications, then Obs don't have jobs... as Henci Goer says, childbirth is a natural process just like digestion! But it's just not looked at it that way in the usual Obstetric Model.

Her book also deals with breech bubs Meg, might be worth a read for you.

Re: the Pink Kit, it's a video / DVD and shows you how you can see for yourself where your pelvic bones / outlet is. It tells you where to feel for the bones so you can see/feel for yourself how wide your pelvic outlet is It also covers everything else about a woman's body, I think it's brilliant and more women would benefit greatly getting to know their bodies this well. Hopefully one day we can all overcome the embarassment - it's easy for guys - they can stand naked in front of a mirror and there is all their reproductive kit in front of them! But most of ours is internal so it takes more effort to get to know all about it

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Hi - not just in this topic, but all, you can make stats say almost whatever you want. 4% of what and over what time and where ?

Also wondering about the 'emotional repercussions' for the mother of a CS baby mentioned back there ?

The emergency CS I had last time was hideous, the whole gel, induction not working business only tobe told afterward that Cait was not engaged, and I should not have been induced - and this time I'm not prepared to even think about the possibility of going through it again. I'm also not interested in the possibiluty of labouring for days only to end up in the same place. I'm informed and empowered and am booked in for an elective CS.

Barb.

Barb.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Good on you Barb, all the best for your caesar - that's what you want so that's all that matters.

May I ask why were you induced in the first place? This is one of the many disadvantages of induction, failed induction, which then leads to even more intervention. That's not to say it will happen a second time, but hey we all do what we need to do. If you weren't induced and Cait was left in her own time, you probably wouldn't have had the caesar do you think?

Midwives have very good stats and that is well documented around the world - they are in the business of leaving things be and birthing is a normal event. Homebirth is still very common in parts around the world (e.g. New Zealand) and they wouldn't be doing it if it weren't safe in this modern day. Obs are trained to find problems and 'fix' things and 'save' the baby from our bodies, because apparently our unreliable bodies aren't capable of doing things as they should.

As I mentioned before, the World Health Organisation has stated in it's reports, that with all things considered, a caesar rate of 10-15% is generous. So I don't see it that difficult for midwives to reach 4%. I also hear about many midwives who have worked for many, many years and not even had to perform a single episiotomy, or some perhaps only one - and of the 26 odd years my teacher has been doing birth support, she has only ever known of two infant deaths - and in those cases, both were known to have health problems that would take their lives shortly after birth. The outcomes for birth can be wonderful when left be.

But also back to the original topic - 80% of births as caesers - that's outrageous. At the end of the day, everyone does have the right to choose their birth and they will read and take in what they want to, I'm not here to tell anyone they are wrong or making a bad decision. I am only offering that everyone consider all options. I thought I was informed prior to my two births but now having this training and being pointed in the direction of more informative and useful books, I see that so much else out there in the way of information and books on the topic leaves alot to be desired.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Good on ya barb! And thats great that you've made a decision! Just want to clarify something too, there's nothing "superior" about one woman having a natural birth over a c/s. I think the fact that we each get to hold our babies in our arms is the most important thing. But I do agree with Kelly that its good to keep ourselves informed. Sadly I do think often the c/s can be overdone but I'm not saying yours or anyone else's c/s was unnecessary. And when it comes to the mothers trauma too, I think thats all relative. I had a pretty interesting labour LOL! 27 hrs, no progression sintocin etc but I didn't find any of that traumatic. It was the post birth that I found traumatic, the seperation, the labelling "Failure to progress" and being told I never gave birth, that sort of thing that did my head in. At the end of the day EVERYONE is different, and no two women are going to share the exact same feelings when they give birth, no matter how their labour & birth goes.

Just my thoughts

*hugs*
    Cailin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12