thread: Consent form for birth

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2010
    North West Victoria, Australia

Consent form for birth

At my hospital there is a consent form that they make you sign when you book into the hospital. I said that I would discuss it with my OB.

The consent form is for...

Regional (spinal or epidural) anaesthesia
    General anaesthesia
    Delivery aided by forceps or vacuum extractor
    Episiotomy
    Manual removal of placenta
    C/S

I don't know that I'm comfortable turning up in labour and they can do all those things without asking me.

I don't have to sign this, right? When you turn up in labour they ask for your consent form straight away....

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

Nup. i wouldn't be consenting to any of those things at this time.

May 2005
    Canberra

Thats strange to get you to consent to those things before they are nessecary. I would just tell them that you will be happy to consent IF the need arises, but that you don't feel comfortable signing at this stage.

Oct 2008
    Newport, VIC

I'm guessing it's just part of the normal pack of paperwork they give you? Is it a private hospital? If it's public they can't turn you away, so I wouldn't worry there.

Not sure about private - your OB might have to do a bit of negotiating for you, but they are normally happy to go with what they OB says.

I wouldn't be signing anything like that without it being necessary.

Oct 2008

I am not some one who normally gets too antsy about standard policy/procudure/paper work stuff, but even I wouldn't feel comfortable signing that. Happy to discuss and make a call IF the need arises but not to just agree to all of them without having the context of an actual 'situation' or hurdle to deal with. I mean, there are some situations where I would want a epidural, and some I wouldn't, I want to make that call when I know which scenario we are faced with because my consent would change.
    Unless I guess if the consent form says it covers these procedures if you are already unconscious, then I would probably be OK with it because I'm thinking if I am already unconscious things REALLY need to happen.

Dec 2007
    Victoria

Are you sure it is a actually a consent form? I wouldn't be signing it at all! I would also go out of my way to make sure they put that on my file too.

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2010

"Consent to Treatment During Labour"

I............ hereby consent to the following operation(s) and/or anaesthetics, where considered to be clinically indicated and/or necessary"

Regional (spinal or epidural) anaesthesia
    General anaesthesia
    Delivery aided by forceps or vacuum extractor
    Episiotomy
    Manual removal of placenta
    C/S

being performed on ......*given names*...........

I also consent to such further operative procedures as may be found necessary to be performed for the preservation of my life and health, and/or that of my unborn baby, during the course of the labour or operation(s) stated above.

In conjunction with the above stated operation(s) I consent to the administration of such anaesthetics as may be considered by the anaesthetist to be necessary"

This form freaks me out, TBH
    I got told when I said I'd talk to my OB about it "Well, we CAN get your husband to sign it if you won't"

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2010

Oh, and it's a public hospital.

Jul 2009
    Out North, Vic

WOW i personally wouldn't be signing anything like that in advance.
    I would let them know your happy for it to be kept on file and your or your DH will sign it once the need arises.

Also how dare they state they can get your husband to sign it, is that supposed to be a threat?

Mar 2008
    the world

Not wanting to be too negative but I would be very wary of giving birth in that hospital. It doesn't seem to bode well for how well they will respect you and your wishes as a woman giving birth. The form and their general attitude doesn't seem very 'labouring woman and baby friendly' to me.

Oct 2008
    Newport, VIC

I got told when I said I'd talk to my OB about it "Well, we CAN get your husband to sign it if you won't"
    Rude *****.

Dec 2007
    Victoria

Ah...no, they can't get your husband to sign it unless you are in a situation when you are unable to give consent - like, unconscious.

Tell them to shove their form where the sun don't shine and then seriously reconsider your birth options. What a disgrace.

Mar 2007

WOW, I would never ever sign that. So it's basically saying when in labour we will do anything we want to you because you've already signed this. No thanks, I'd want them to be informing me of what's happening IF it is needed.

And after them saying that there's no chance in hell I'd be giving birth at that hospital.

Jan 2009

Wow, to me, it doesn't say a whole lot about their intentions to be supportive of your attempts at a natural birth if they are expecting you to sign this before you even go into labour! Sort of feels like the same class (for me) as a pre nup - your thinking and planning the worst is going to happen.
    I wouldn't sign it.

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2010

I'm stuck with the stupid hospital I've got. I'm sick of having tantrums about the hospital. They were so rude to me when i turned up there with pregnant with DD. I got told "Well, there's no point being here. We can't do anything with your baby like THAT"..... Ouch. Way to talk to the 18yo in preterm labour with a sick bub. They just called in a plane and flew me to Melbourne.
    They boast about being a Level 2 SCN but wouldn't take DD while she had her NGT because they "don't have the staff or facilities".

It's either that hospital, or go to Ballarat, Bendigo or Mildura. All 3ish hours away. And there's ALOT of lonely roads between here and the cities. And there's no IMs or Doulas anywhere NEAR here. I've written to dozens but none will come this far.
    Plus, I don't want to be that far away from DD.

At least I know now from your fabulous replies that I don't have to sign it. I'm thinking I may need to try and find a Doula or IM I can talk to because I can't hire one.

Thanks again ladies.

Jan 2008
    Brisbane

You don't have to and there is no way I'd sign it!

Oct 2008
    Newport, VIC

Just thinking... Could you look at having a phone arrangement with a Doula or IM? Not as conventional, but could still be a good support for you. You might pay a lesser fee to have them available on the phone for you, especially during labour.

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

Omg no.