thread: Consent form for birth

May 2005
    Canberra

Definitely try and find a birth advocate. Even put the word out on BB here for people in your area who would be willing to step up for you. Or maybe you have a friend that would be willing to do it and research into birthing so they have some idea of what is on and what isn't?

Add Little Chicken on Facebook

Mar 2010
    Melbourne

Doesn't sound like a good form to sign early. They are probably doing it in case an emergency arises and you are unconscious or otherwise unable to give consent, probably where they meant your DH could sign it. Still a very poor way they presented it to you. Who was explaining the form to you, a midwife or an admin person? Just because a consent form is signed now does not mean it overrides your future wishes. Consent can always be withdrawn.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jan 2006

That's ****.

Feb 2006
    Mornington Peninsula, Vic

I can't believe in this day and age in Australia we have pregnancy care like this. wrong, wrong, wrong!

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Apr 2010
    In the mad house at loopy land

I too wouldnt be signing that no way at all

Dec 2006
    Melbourne

Far out! I wouldn't be signing it at all! DS was delivered in a large regional hospital & I only had to sign a consent form just as I was about to be wheeled into theatre but that was consenting to a c/s if they needed to as my little guy wasn't coming out. DD was born in a small regional hospital & we still weren't asked to sign anything. How odd that they ask you to do it now?!

Sep 2008
    In a cloud of madness.

id be sending that form off to a media person with an explaination of the care you have recieved. I'm very sorry that you have to go through this. I agree with others, is there anyone on BB willing to help you out, a phone hook up an extra step could hubby set up a skype set up with a IM or doula??? So they can see you and support you based on bosy language as well as voice etc??

I'd be demanding another midwife/dr also.

Mar 2006

I second what Little Chicken said. Consent can be withdrawn at any time.

Also, it has to be an INFORMED consent. If a Doctor hasn't sat down to explain these things to you (including possible risks), it is not a valid and legal consent. It has to be a Doctor, a midwife or nurse can not consent you for these things.
    I'm somewhat appalled at their comment when you refused to sign it. I'd chat to your Ob about it for sure.

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

Signing the form now under the theory that you can always withdraw consent later on is misguided. If you are unable to consent (ie you are unconscious) and a procedure is medically necessary then the hospital will be able to gain consent from your next of kin OR are able to go ahead anyway. A pre-signed consent just gives them permission to not explain the options, and to exert greater pressure for procedures that may not be warranted.

Dec 2008
    Brisbane, QLD

No way in hell.
    I can't even put into words what I think about this. Scary scary stuff.

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

That's terrible. I'm sorry you are in this position .

I read an american article, which may not apply in Australia, that consent is implied when you require life saving treatment, or when you cannot give consent... and that they considered labour to be such a time. I was amazed. Anyone know which conditions apply under which they consider consent implied???

You were RAK'ed in 2015.
    Add beansbeans! on Facebook

May 2008
    with the fairies and butterflies

Do not sign it. If you feel threatened by what was been said to you then report it. Do not give consent to hypothetical situations. Report it, do not sign it, if your dh is asked to sign it then tell him not to.

Sep 2009
    Melbourne, VIC

There is no way I would agree to sign that. I'm sorry you have no other midwives/hospitals/birth centres to choose from...that really, really sucks. Would you consider making a complaint to the Victorian Health Services Commissioner? About your treatment with your previous bub, this consent form with no explanation (ie not informed consent) and their threat to have your DH sign it if you don't? *hugs*

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jun 2008
    In snuggle land

That's scary.

Is it possible for you to move closer to another hospital closer to your EDD? I know that would be difficult, given that term includes 5 weeks. Do you have friends or family you could stay with?

Jun 2005
    USA

I read an american article, which may not apply in Australia, that consent is implied when you require life saving treatment, or when you cannot give consent... and that they considered labour to be such a time. I was amazed. Anyone know which conditions apply under which they consider consent implied???
    We've been shocked and learnt the hard way that implied consent is the norm in the US. Apparently we consent to quite a bit by sending our son to school!

There is no way I would sign that form, and I'd be thinking hard about what to put in your birth preferences now too. Make sure you have it prepared and put in your file before your due date. If any of those things need to happen they can ask you at the time, or if you are unconscious THEN they can get consent from your husband.

Jan 2006

Actually, they can get consent from your husband even if you are concious and saying "hell no, you are not doing that to me." And it's the signature that counts as that's the paper trail. I refused consent for an episiotomy so they just asked my husband, who agreed. (And who isn't coming anywhere near me next labour and birth.)

This happened to me, although not pre-birth (I was laughed at pre-birth and even in labour for not wanting drugs). "You sign for a section or your husband will and we'll give you a hysterectomy." Yeah, way to annoy a labouring woman.

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2010
    North West Victoria, Australia

WTF TFB?? How can they say that to you??

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

We've been shocked and learnt the hard way that implied consent is the norm in the US. Apparently we consent to quite a bit by sending our son to school!

There is no way I would sign that form, and I'd be thinking hard about what to put in your birth preferences now too. Make sure you have it prepared and put in your file before your due date. If any of those things need to happen they can ask you at the time, or if you are unconscious THEN they can get consent from your husband.
    Yep unfortunately things are worse in the USA .