Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Don?t go private *just* because you have private health insurance

Just thought i'd update now the birth has happened. My private m/ws were fantastic. I birthed with support, but absolutely no intervention. My m/w asked permission to occasionally check the baby's heartrate with the doppler and took my blood pressure and temp when she arrived. No vaginal exams, no unwanted intervention at all. Fabulous care both pre and post natally. There is not a thing I would change about the experience. It gave me a totally different perspective on birth.

It was covered by my insurance, most of it anyway (there is still an insurer willing to cover HB).

I agree with looking into all your options. And faith that birth is not something to be afraid of that needs the support of all the medical expertise money can buy, because women manage much better without it!
    Last edited by Jennifer13; February 26th, 2012 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer13 View Post
    It was covered by my insurance, most of it anyway (there is still an insurer willing to cover HB).
    Brilliant to read again about how positive your birth experience was for you. May I ask who you are insured with?

It may come in handy if I can get my dh onboard for a third child

I'm with Australian Unity. It's expensive compared to what we had before, but I get HB and much more back on other things, so we're trying to make it work harder! They pay $3,000 towards a HB m/w.

I chosed not to go private because I didn't believe in the 'business model'
    by going private (more services = more money).

A few of the providers in the public system ****ed me off (coz I'm clearly dumb & dont need to know why I'm there for what tests etc.). Plus their procedures didn't work for me.

So I went & looked for my own support & found our IM. I wished someone had told me earlier, I spent a fair bit of my pregnancy initially fairly stressed out because I knew the system wasn't working for me.

This thread has inspired me to write a letter of support for independent midwives to my local mp.

Good on you ladies! Let's keep spreading the word.

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk.(Occasional fat fingers syndrome might occur)

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer13 View Post
    I'm with Australian Unity. It's expensive compared to what we had before, but I get HB and much more back on other things, so we're trying to make it work harder! They pay $3,000 towards a HB m/w.
    Wow, that's awesome. I didn't know that

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123