• Yes I would!

19 32.20%
  • I'm curious....

7 11.86%
  • Unsure / don't know enough

4 6.78%
  • No way!

27 45.76%

thread: Placenta Encapsulation - Would You? Have You?

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥
    Add BellyBelly on Facebook Follow BellyBelly On Twitter

Feb 2003
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Placenta Encapsulation - Would You? Have You?

Placenta encapsulation is on the rise, more people are reading about it and more placenta encapsulators are popping up around the world, including Australia. Would you have your placenta encapsulated? What are your thoughts?

Placenta Encapsulation - The Benefits of Eating Your Placenta

Last edited by BellyBelly; April 2nd, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

Definitely, and was intending to! Unfortunately I ended up birthing in hospital, and in the excitement of the moment, my placenta was forgotten about and was thrown away. My iron was shot after birth for a good few weeks, and my bleeding very heavy, I believe had I been taking my placenta the difference would have been phenomenal

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jun 2008
    In snuggle land

I would except I want to have a lotus birth and I dont think you can do both.

Apr 2006
    Perth

I've read lots about eating the placenta in the past and TBH while I can understand the benefits, the idea of it is pretty gross to me I don't eat meat particularly either and it would I think be too much for me.

Someone, I think Teirae, started a thread a while back though about encapsulation and it sounds like there are some amazing benefits - helping beat PND being a huge appeal for me having gone through that with DD2. I think i've probably left it too late to organise anything for this pregnancy though but actually have it on my list of things to discuss with my OB next appt. Swallowing a tablet or two daily sounds like something I could definitely do.

Apr 2008
    Adelaide

I couldn't stomach the thought of it. I understand they're are benefits but as most other primates do not eat the placenta I find it strange that it is often represented as the natural thing to do? But to each their own

Mar 2007

eek... no way, never.

Jan 2010

No. Not for me, but to each their own.

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2010
    North West Victoria, Australia

Definately would love to. But, DH is very anti.
    If I had someone prepare it for me, I would do it. But I can't imagine myself actually doing the process, with a newborn.

I really want to do it, but I just don't see it happening.

Jul 2006
    Melbourne

Not for me. I couldn't stomach eating the placenta. But each to their own

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

No. Way. Ever.

Aug 2010
    Sydney Aus

I couldn't do it, but as others have said each to their own.

My curiosity does want to know more, but not to do it for myself.

Jul 2008
    Balnarring, Vic

yes I've done it with ds2, so am taking them right now.I also have a placenta tincture.

I haven't told a great deal of people as the reaction from my family was bad enough.

it is the best thing I've even done. after being physically unwell, lacking in vitamins and suffering severe pnd with my previous two, Im happy to say I have none of that this time around. I feel a bond with my baby and it feels blissful.

I don't think the capsules are the only reason for this, I think he's birth played a huge role also.

I would recommend it to everyone.

eta- its not like taking a huge bite of raw meat! its dehydrated and crushed into powder then put in capsules. it looks like a vitamin and has no after taste.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by loulabelle; March 29th, 2012 at 01:53 PM.

Add Little Chicken on Facebook

Mar 2010
    Melbourne

It's not for me, but each to their own. The concerns I would have about sending into someone else to do is; 1. Is your the only placenta they are doing at the time and if not, how do they ensure there is no mixing or cross contamination, or, can they guarantee that the placenta you receive is yours. 2. Do they keep them before processing them in a safe and hygienic manner. 3. Do they add anything, like herbs or fillers, when they make them.

Jul 2008
    Balnarring, Vic

It's not for me, but each to their own. The concerns I would have about sending into someone else to do is; 1. Is your the only placenta they are doing at the time and if not, how do they ensure there is no mixing or cross contamination, or, can they guarantee that the placenta you receive is yours. 2. Do they keep them before processing them in a safe and hygienic manner. 3. Do they add anything, like herbs or fillers, when they make them.
    most will prepare in your home.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk

Mar 2011
    Brisbane's Southside

I've actually never heard of this at all! Off to google now...

**Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

Oct 2005
    North Queensland

Yep, I would and was also planning on it

I've also enrolled in a Placenta Encapsulations Course.

Perhaps adding a link to the original post so that people can have a read about it.

I think there is a lot of misconception that you birth the placenta, chop it up and down the hatch it goes.

Plus I think if people knew the benefits that can come from it, more would be open to it.

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

I am planning on doing it with Spocks placenta. I have a recipe for encapsulating it, but don't think I'll actually do that. My back up is to just freeze it and cut it into small tablet size pieces and take them like a tablet while frozen. I had trouble actually finding someone in my area to do it for me, so I would have to do it myself, and it will depend how I feel after giving birth if i do it properly or not.
    I did start a thread not too long ago inquiring about it too.

and in my work as a midwife, I ALWAYS ask the mums and dads if they are intersted in their placenta and want to look at it and then if they want to keep it. Not one person has said yes to keeping it yet, but atleast they have to chance to.

Nov 2009
    Scottish expat living in Geelong

I am rapidly becoming less sceptical about placenta encapsulation the more I learn about it. It's a moot point now because my baby growing days are over but I think I would definitely consider this if I did have another. I'm fairly certain I could prepare it myself too, it actually doesn't look difficult.