: When did your waters break in your FIRST labour?

• First sign of labour

69 44.52%
  • Early/active labour after contractions started

15 9.68%
  • Late labour before pushing

11 7.10%
  • During pushing/birth

7 4.52%
  • Artificially broken before contractions started

12 7.74%
  • Artificially broken during labour

41 26.45%
123 ...

thread: Waters breaking... your stories!

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥
    Add BellyBelly on Facebook Follow BellyBelly On Twitter

Feb 2003
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Waters breaking... your stories!

I'm writing an article on all things about waters rupturing and would love to hear your stories to possibly include in the article. So:

* Did your waters naturally break as the first sign of labour? If so, where/when? Share the story of your waters breaking and how you and your partner felt.

* How soon did labour establish after your waters broke, naturally or artificially (please specify which)

* Any general comments or stories about waters breaking

Thank-you
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

paradise lost Guest

My waters broke naturally in bed at 3am and woke me up. I think i'd been having slightly crampy BH before then but not enough to wake me. After they broke i got ctx every 12-15 minutes (12 if i was awake, 15 if i slept, but waking up to them hurt more). I didn't sleep after about 6am and i "got up" about 9am. XP slept in the other room because he was stoned - not really one for an article. That's one of the reasons he's X. He tells me he can't remember me being in labour before 11am.

Bx

Enchanted Guest

My waters broke naturally and it was the first sign of labour for me. I was at home when it happened at around 11am and they were only leaking. I had no contractions and went to the hospital for monitoring that night. When I got home from the hospital I started having very slight mild contractions which would come and go. My Husband and I were very excited but very nervous knowing that our tiny bundle would be with us in the next few days. I had been told by the hospital that they wanted to induce me if I hadn't gone into labour in a day. The day after my waters broke I was getting slightly painful contractions which had no real pattern to them, I tried everything to establish my labour and it was when I went for a big walk that my contractions started to intensify. I was still not having regular contractions and went into hospital the following morning to be induced.

Is that all you want Kelly?!?

Sep 2004
    Sydney's Norwest

Baby number one, arrived at hosp with waters intact at 7cm. ARM not long later. Labour was already well and truelly established, he was born around an hour or so later.

Number 2, arrived at birth centre 7cm dilated (my lucky number) baby was posterior. Waters left intact to see if bub would turn but he didn't. Spontanious rupture in hard labour, born around 30 minutes later.

Number 4, waters ruptured as labour kept stalling. Bub was born around 7 hours later.

I was fine at all times with what happened with my waters. Although I would prefer not to have them artifically ruptured this time. I am not totally against it though.

Nov 2005
    in a house!

My waters broke very unexpectedly 15 days early at Coles! I was having some "pains" just before hand and was finding it very hard to walk. Then I felt a POP, a tiny drip, then it didnt stop gushing!

I was finding it hard to breathe through all the embarassment/excitement/anxiety/nervousness etc, and my husband was speechless!

It was a very exciting time for us but very rushed and unplanned as I needed a c/section due to footling breech baby. So the ambulance had to rush me to the hosp which is 35 mins away.

Once my waters were gone, so was my tummy! All I had was a baby sticking out on one side and NOTHING on the other. A very strange thing to feel from the outside

No contractions or anything else. Bubs was born by ceasarean 3 hours later and I was 3cm dialated just before the section.

P.S the smell was the worst part

Nov 2006
    Melbourne

I was at my SIL's for dinner and was sitting on the couch watching TV. I felt a wetness which felt wetter than the mucus I had been leaking since 3 days before. I decided to go to the toilet - luckily! AS soon as I was there - GUSH!!! It was like throwing up after a big night out - I couldn't leave the toilet! Every time I stood up more woud come out! Sorry TMI - it was clear with specks of colour - the mucus plug I guess. Contractiosn started 2 hrs after that and then it was all on!

BellyBelly Member
    Add Tobily on Facebook

May 2004
    Brisbane

With my first baby my waters started leaking at 36 weeks.

At the time I had no idea about the difference between a "leak" and fully broken waters...so the first thing I did was call the hospital

Of course they told me to go in, and I did even though I was having no contractions. Just a bit of show but nothing else. I had GD and this was all happening a bit early so I was nervous to stay at home and see what happened.

All of this happened at 11 o'clock at night - I went into hospital, they admitted me and informed me that if nothing was happening within 12 hours I'd be induced. Lunch time arrived the next day and I'd had not so much as a twinge, so I was hooked up to the drip. My daughter was born at 5am the next morning after an 18 hour induction. Despite all the intervention it was a positive experience

Jul 2006

I was in hospital, 6cm and had an ARM, contractions sped up within 5-10 minutes,DD was born just under 4 hours later.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    melbourne

rolled over in bed 6.30am and felt a little squirt, discovered was pink tinged so figured was waters, went for monitoring, was induced with drip 27 hours later after only mild irregular contractions over the course of the day and night, this was the first sign of labour 11 days early, DH was soooo excited rushed home from work!! couldnt contain his excitment

would definatly avoid induction next time as was very intense and out of my/our control,

Mar 2007
    Somewhere in the West

I woke up at 1am to go to the toilet, still 3 weeks away from my due date. I went back to bed and as I was falling asleep my waters broke. In my tiredness I actually thought I was wetting the bed!! I got up and walked to the shower where they gushed. DH was at work so I called him to come home.(Apparently he was so calm no one at work believed him when he said he was leaving to have a baby )

Contractions started a couple of hours later with no regularity or strength so I was induce 10 hrs later. DD was born at 8pm.

Oct 2004
    Sydney

My waters broke naturally at home in bed. It was about 1am on the day my daughter was born. It was the first sign of "real" labour for me. I had been getting lots of braxton hicks contractions all day, and I was really excited thinking labour was going to start very soon! The BH were a little painful - not very, but enough for it to be difficult for me to fall asleep, so I ended up just lying down in bed. Just as I was about to drift off to sleep, I felt a painful contraction and a pop low down in my tummy! I knew straight away what it was, so I told my hubby then ran to the bathroom and stood in the shower as I was leaking everywhere! It was a strange feeling. Within minutes I was getting proper regular contractions 3 minutes apart! My DH called the hospital nd they told us to come in! Needless to say, we were both very excited, knowing we'd be meeting our baby later that day. I wasnt even nervous. I was surprisingly more calm than I thought I would be.

Oct 2004
    Back in Brisvegas :)

My waters broke naturally at 11:10pm, 9 days after Maddy's due date. Started off as a trickle and as I rolled over onto my back in bed I noticed that even tightening my muscles didn't stop it. *L* Hubby ran in with the towels and I went to the emergency room with a wad of towels between my legs! *L*

I'd been feeling cranky earlier that day but it was definately the first sign of labour for me. Maddy was born 14 & a bit hours later after being induced via drip 7 hours after my waters broke.

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥
    Add BellyBelly on Facebook Follow BellyBelly On Twitter

Feb 2003
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Thanks for the great stories everyone! I have added a poll in this discussion too.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Nov 2005
    in a house!

isnt it funny it seems most waters break at night! Mine was at lunchtime

Apr 2007

my waters broke naturally lying in a hospital bed waiting to be induced.......as I was in one of the delivery suites, I could hear other women in the throws of labour and I'm sure my water's broke after hearing one particular woman in the last stages of birth.....I've never heard anything so shrill. Within half an hour my contractions started ....it was 6am.

Jul 2006
    Melbourne

My waters broke at 9pm at night, when I was 35 weeks. I was sitting down, on the phone, I laughed and thought I'd wet myself LOL. But it was my waters and they continued to just trickle throughout my first stage. I knew it was my waters as they were tinged with pink, I say it looked like pink champagne! DH and I were VERY excited, despite being a little underprepared! I had my first contractions exactly an hour later and they were instantly 40 seconds long and four minutes apart.

I might add that I'd broken my foot a week before having DS, so we're not sure if that maybe helped me to go into labour a little early! (All the hauling myself around on crutches etc.)

Jan 2005
    Down by the ocean

I "thought" my waters had broken into the toilet as I had lots of dripping but it was likely the mucous plug. When we got to the hospital I was examined and was 3 - 4cm dilated and the waters were intact. The OB offered to break them to get it moving so I agreed. OH BOY did it get things moving or what. Next contraction was serious business!
    This was about 11:30am and Mason was born by 4:30pm.

Aug 2007
    Berwick Springs

I woke at about 5 am to find i had lost the mucus plug, contractions started about an hour later, but very mild. At around 8 am i went to the toilet where i had what i thought was a very big 'wee'. Contractions sped up alot after that!!
    When i arrived at the hospital, the doctor went to rupture my membranes but found that they had already broken. Obviously that was the big wee lol My son was born 6 hours later.

123 ...