Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1974 Maternity Ward Pamphlet for New Mothers

WTH!!!!!!! Were they for real, the babies being put on a feeding schedule that suits the nurses, insane. Fancy being told when you can & can't see your baby & that you musn't unwrap your child unless you ask permission, laughable really. Our poor mothers.

WoW, I am so glad that times have changed!

Oh wow. If that had been now, I'd "risk" a homebirth

ohh my ...... what an eye opener!

I am so pleased that things have moved on from that!
    It really overrides all mummy instincts.
    I wonder how many mums threw all those rules away as soon as they left the hospital.

Oh shoot, I'd planned to keep my hair rollers in during labour so that my hair was 'set' for visitors. At least I can have a coffee and a smoke in the morning before feeding...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbles01 View Post
    Oh shoot, I'd planned to keep my hair rollers in during labour so that my hair was 'set' for visitors. At least I can have a coffee and a smoke in the morning before feeding...!!!
    I just saw a crazy looking woman labouring with massive rollers in and a smoke hanging out of her gob!

I would have home birthed for sure!

LOL. It's funny.
    As is the 1950's video on that website Teni linked to. Have you watched that? Fascinating.

ooo what was the 1950's video?

I got sent a page from a 1960's sex education book that was utterly HILARIOUS! It had stuff along the lines of "set your alarm to do your face before your husband wakes up for the day, you don't want to alarm him" and "If you must apply night creams or hair rollers for bed, do it after your husband is asleep"

http://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2010/11/1/1950-video-labor-and-childbirth.html

Don't forget to put your lippy on before you go to the hospital!

OMG I am so so glad that it isn't like that anymore.. there were some classics in there though that made me giggle, but my heart broke for the babies left for so long without their mothers and them not being able to unwrap them by themselves, FFS I wonder what was under the wraps that the mother couldn't "see".....

Re: the viewing window in the nursery - when I was a little tacker visiting whoever in the local hospital (small town Tas) with mum, we'd always go "see the babies" through the nursery window. Must've been mid-late 70s, possibly early 80s I'm thinking. Thank God that times have changed!

DP and I were glued to that video! It's horrid! I did have a little giggle though!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12