Thread: If you watched 'The Business of Being Born' and loved it... (question!)

Default If you watched 'The Business of Being Born' and loved it... (question!)

...what other docos/articles/books etc can you recommend to me?
    I'm done with having babies so I'm a bit rusty on all the wonderful educational and empowering stuff there is out there about birth. But a friend's sister (who I'm not hugely close to, but friends with on FB and have met her and her little boys quite a few times) has just announced that bub #3 is on the way and she's just watched 'The Business of Being Born' and said she loved it. So I'd like to give her some titles and/or links to similar stuff that she can check out in case she finds something that might be useful to her as she awaits her new baby's entrance to the world. Anything would be helpful, thanks in advance! x

(PS - Mods, I hope this is the appropriate section for this thread! Had a look around and this seemed to me to be the best place, hope I got it right lol!)

I really enjoyed Orgasmic Birth...not as far out as it first sounds and a lot of it has nothing to do with Orgasmic birth at all.

The books I adored and that helped me achieve the birth I had were Birth Skills, Spiritual Midwifery and Ina May Gaskins Guide to Childbirth.

There is a new film coming out shortly called "The Face of Birth". Its a similar doco to BOBB only is based in Australia which is awesome.

Orgasmic Birth is a GREAT doco also.

The Big Stretch

A new one thats come out recently is Guerilla Midwife. Fabulous!

The political education aspect of birth is fab, for what it is.
    In terms of preparing for a birth though, really not that helpful. If this is what you/she is after, then I would recommend The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, New Active Birth, Spiritual Midwifery (the birth stories are amazing) and Birthing from Within.
    They all offer really practical, helpful advice; Woman's Guide in particular is fantastic for evaluating options and weighing risks, and is totally supported and referenced.

Any and all birth videos on YouTube can be really helpful for seeing how it is done.

Giuditta Tornetta's Joy In Birthing resources and Stephanie Dawn's Sacred Birth Work are both invaluable. (You can find both on FB, and Stephanie in particular offers regular teleconferences and webinar's. Giuditta has a website you can order the books etc from too.

If you need anything else, PM me HTH!

As Sara has mentioned i reckon she should google (or FB) "the face of birth". there are totally awesome clips and interviews on their website (new film is coming out soon). also cool as it is a local version of BOBB...
    Last edited by Cassius2; September 5th, 2011 at 09:23 AM.

Just FYI. Season 2 of the buisness of being born starts next week. The 5th I think

Quote Originally Posted by delphmoon View Post
    Just FYI. Season 2 of the buisness of being born starts next week. The 5th I think
    I think you mean "One Born Every Minute"

I hear it does start on the 5th of Oct but from what I can find on SBS...its not being shown on their channel. I'm pretty sure I heard a while back that its gone to cable.

I loved Orgasmic Birth too.

There is a second BOBB movie coming out too

Stay clear of One Born Every Minute and birth shows on those cable channels!

There are 4 Business of Being Born movies coming out, they are called More Business of Being Born. I have seen the first one (Down at the Farm-Conversations with Ina May Gaskin). The 2nd one is being shown in Mlbourne in about a month by Maternity Coalition.

Great stuff Thanks so much, girls! We were having a chat about homebirthing the other day and it turns out her neighbour also had a homebirth, she said she was going to ask a few q's (and mentioned that 'we heard the whole thing!') but would probably take the hospy birth route as it's what she's familiar and comfortable with (both her children were born vaginally with minimal pain relief and interference so that's great if she feels most secure in a hospital setting and can do her thing unimpeded), but she's very interested in all these docos, TV shows and articles to help inform herself and her partner and aim for achieving the best birth she can according to her own feelings and comfort. Thanks for all the recommendations - I'll have to track down these myself and give them a look, even though I'm not planning any more babies, it's always great viewing and I love finding out more myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    I think you mean "One Born Every Minute"

I hear it does start on the 5th of Oct but from what I can find on SBS...its not being shown on their channel. I'm pretty sure I heard a while back that its gone to cable.
    Yes I meant that lol.
    I am not sure what channel- will have a look but I'm pretty sure its on free to air because the time it is advertised clashes will another one of my fav shows. Will have a look though

I double checked and yes, its on SBS one on the 5th October at 830pm. Heres the LINK