Thread: Surprise Twin Homebirth

Default Surprise Twin Homebirth

As the title suggest, this is a SURPRISE twin homebirth.

It does go for 33 minutes so grab a cuppa

Its a great clip however I am left pondering a few things.

She had a midwife but neither picked up on twins.

I also didn't like the rushed 3rd stage - perhaps this was arrangement between midwife and mother however the midwife never provides any uterine support while she is tugging on the cord.

No-one seemed very concerned at keeping mother and babies together.

Whilst I'm glad all turned out well, the types of things niggle at me.

Thoughts?

I watched that the other Day.
    Yes it is odd how it wasn't picked up but unless you interview her it's hard to know what we're the circumstances etc.

Yeah I was annoyed how the baby was taken away if it were me I'd want it there with me or close to me if I couldn't hang onto it.

A lot of the comments on the video really annoy me so don't read them if you don't want to get annoyed

I haven't watched the clip just thought I'd mention that even with modern tech twins have been undiadnosed. One of the midwives I work with was involved in an undiagnosed twin delivery. The mother had 2 scans that both missed the 2nd twin. They had no idea until number2 was born. That happen at westmead only a few years ago.

Yeah that would be a surprise then Mildez. You wonder how the babies manage to hide that good. Well I suppose sometimes they can't find my left ovary on ultrasounds when it is there so I guess it is similar. Would be quite a shock though!

I haven't watched this yet, waiting until the kids are in bed. However I wanted to share the midwife humour from when my twins were born. Apparently it is not that uncommon for a triplet pregnancy to be disguised as twins, even with scans and the like (of which I only had 2 in my pregnancy). The midwives thought the best time to tell me that this sometimes happens was after my first twin was born when I was in labour with my second I was very keen after the second twin was born for confirmation that there wasn't a third

A lady I cared for during labour twins were not diagnosed until 22weeks. At her morphology scan it was picked up the baby had a cardiac anomaly and the mother was transferred to Sydney for a review with the experts in the field. Turns out there were 2 in there and some how the sonography was picking up both of the hearts at the same time which made it look like the 1 baby's heart was not normal. Two healthy ID twins we're born some months later (they did share the same sac) the woman had 2 prior scans and only 1 baby was seen. She was also extremely thin so it had nothing to do with her body habitus just the way the babies were lying.