Thread: 11 month old feeds

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

Default 11 month old feeds

I'm heading back to work next week, part time. DD will be 11 months and my question is will this schedule be ok for her
    BF- 6am
    BF- 7pm
    BF-9pm
    Or am I crazy?? Lol
    She has been sleeping through from 9-6 ish the last week or so.
    I have been doing a 4pm feed but wonder if doing a 7pm and 9pm will still work on the 3 days I'm at work
    I thought about expressing but it will be a massive amount of work to do it store it and travel the 90mins home on a train with it.. Ho hum.
    I also think if I express on the days I'm
    not at work will this mean my boobs will need emptying on the days I am at work too.
    Sorry this is a bit muddled lol really my question is ... Is this enough milk for DD? Those spaced out feeds.
    I tried to test her on a formula feed at lunch but she poo poo'd it!

Default Re: 11 month old feeds

Hello!

DD was 13 months when I went back to work 2, then later 3 days a week and I wasn't interested in expressing at work. She wasn't a real booby baby though- from about 10.5-11months she naturally dropped a feed during the day of her own accord (about mid morning) then at 12 months, in preparation for returning to work, I slowly weaned her off her second day feed, which was before her day nap if I remember correctly. I just swapped boob for cow milk which I had already introduced at mealtimes so it wasn't like ick, what's this weird milk?! So I fed her first thing when she woke up in the morning, then offered when I returned from work, usually about 4:30pm, then again at bedtime and whenever she woke at night. She eventually self weaned the 4:30pm feed too.

I think at 11 months you can go straight to cows milk BTW. I didn't mess with formula at all, as she was eating well by then and still had a number of BFs.

DS1 was feeding three times a day at 11-12 months, dropping to twice a day around 12 months. He self weaned at 14 months and went straight to cows milk in a Sippy cup. He wasn't a real booby monster either though.

I think if you're not there as a reminder, she won't miss day feeds at all. Your supply will quickly adjust to your new work schedule and you won't have to express on work days, but will still be able to feed three times on your non work days if you want.

I work three full days one week (out if the house 7am to 6.30om) and two evenings the next week (away 2.30pm to 1am) and we have been just fine. The first few weeks I had to express for comfort but otherwise, the girls have coped just fine and my supply hasn't been affected as they make up for it when I am around. This started at about 11 1/2 months when I returned to work.

Awesome thank you all so much! I just have to remember breast pads for work I guess incase I explode

Just an update on how things have been going.
    So far all great she's been really good adjusting to those 3 feeds on the days I'm at work ... Until today! It's my day off today and so she fed at 6am and then around 5 I thought I'd do our 2nd feed. She refused! She screamed and carried on, which to be honest she had done a bit throughout the day which is unlike her. So we did some skin to skin cuddling and played blowing kisses and clapping and she calmed down and about 30 mins later had a feed from one side. Fast forward to bedtime and again refusal and screaming.... I popped her to bed.
    This is the first night she hasn't had a feed before bed.
    So I wonder if this is her way of deciding she doesn't want to feed anymore?
    I just expressed 50 mls as that's all I could sit there for, to just take some pressure off the side she didn't feed from.
    Do I just ride it out and follow her lead from here?

still on the teaching contract roundabout

Just ride it out; ds2 who's nearly 22 months has been doing this where he doesn't want to feed to sleep half the time now (ds1 feed to sleep consistently until 26 mths so not used to it either)

Thanks I am amazed she woke only once in the night so I went in and shh shh her and she went back to sleep.
    This morning she refused again

DD did this too, completely normal. Sounds obvious but she will either pick up again when she's ready or decide feeding to sleep is for plebs! Could be a case of much occupying that clever, developing little mind to simply drop off to sleep now.

Thanks LL she's refusing all feeds, so we are done

After one whole week of screaming if she so much as caught a glimpse of my boob while I was getting dressed, she has a cold and tonight was night 3 of booby....

Quote Originally Posted by Joeve View Post
    After one whole week of screaming if she so much as caught a glimpse of my boob while I was getting dressed, she has a cold and tonight was night 3 of booby....
    Awwww welcome back boobs, she knows exactly what the best medicine is for her! Poor little chicky, I hope she feels better soon

Awwww... Hope this means a little longer for you both.