Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding Beyond 12 months #2

Default Re: Breastfeeding Beyond 12 months #2

Quote Originally Posted by OceanPrincess View Post
    That's an amazing effort wysiwyg! Well done!! Don't forget those weaning hormones - they can make you a bit emotional xx
    Really you think even though he has been feeding so little for quite a while - it might still have some hormonal effect?

I have been very lucky, it has never been an effort or difficult for me with either child.

I was talking to a friend a while back, and he was saying his wife was going to finish up breastfeeding because she was going away for two nights (child was 12 months old) - and she was sad about it. I was explaining that this time last year I was away for 6 days, no feeding or expressing and have still gone on to feed for almost a year after that, he didn't realize that would be possible and said his wife didn't either. I was surprised that someone would think an absence with an older baby would have to mean an end to BF.

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

I miss being in here

Well done on the great effort W!!

Great work wysiwyg. I have heard other women say that emotional effects of weaning have come as a surprise to them ,because they were only feeding once a day or less. It might not happen to you, but good to be aware of just in case.

Are you going to do something nice for you?

Congratulations on 3 years wysiwyg. I agree with HotI, make sure to do something nice for yourself.

Ahh you guys sounds like my mum, she is always saying I should do something nice for myself - I do nice things for myself all the time, is just our definitions of fun things don't match.

I will do something nice though, I am getting a folding bike for myself as an end to BF present though.

Well done, wysiwyg! Three years is a great achievement. If he hasn't been asking for extended periods, my guess is he won't be bothered. My DD1 was about to turn four when we had a few days away where I didn't offer and she never asked to bf until about a week later. She was very easy to put off, no tears. Clearly ready! Hope it happens the same way for you. I had no hormonal issues (unless relief counts!).

DD2 is still going two times a day. Not at all jealous of her little sister bfing at numerous times, but getting quite cross with me when I end the bf. She would sit on there for way longer than she ever has and that feels comfortable. Plus, I need to get everyone else ready in the morning to get out the door! I count to ten to give her a warning when it's over (after about 5-10 mins), but she still cracks it. Partly it's her personality, so I think I'm going to have to ride it out. She's got a bit of a cold too, so I'm guessing she appreciates the cuddles and the bm.

DS weaned when i was pregnant, around 19 months of age. i have expressed a few times since baby was born (if she has slept long times), and most times DS has claimed the milk before it reaches the freezer. I am happy not to restart breastfeeding him, but also happy that he enjoys the milk.

Spock is still going strong. I limit her to max 3 a day. (After breakfast, afternnon nap.and bedtime) some days she only gets 2 depending on when im working.
    Im on nightshift the next 4 nights. And im staying in the nurses quarters cause te commute is too far to drive when on nights.
    As a result im not going to see Spock until monday (mum n dad are bringing her to me on mon and.staying with her in the town while i work mon night)
    Alot of things have me nervous, but obviously my boobs are one. Im worried she might just see it as the end. Im not ready. Im worried ill be so uncomfortable, im taking my pump but never had much luck expressing so worried wont be enough. ..
    Any advice, encouragement would be great

TT40 - I went away for five days when DS was almost two (sunday night to saturday morning), he was having morning, nap, and bedtime most days then - but only two if in daycare - I didn't express or anything (as he never would take EBM - I had never bothered) - I went on to feed him for nearly a year afterwards. I remember I was slightly uncomfortable by the end but nothing major at all. He was mad keen when he woke on the Saturday morning - but according to mum had only mentioned missing "Mo Mo" once. DD finished up at about 21 months ish - but there was no break - she just decided that wasn't interested anymore, I suspect that was due to being pregnant (I would have been about 22 weeks). All children and situations are different but there is definitely hope that it won't be the end, and that you won't be uncomfortable either.

Ok... so i came back and she fed =) was normal straight away. Im happy that it wanst the end then, not because of the end, but because it wouldnt have been her decision to stop itms.
    This week tho she has been sick, bad cold, blocked up. She keeps asking for milk as comfort cause she obviously felt yucky. But would attempt and either got a mouthful of snot or couldn't breathe. Resulting in one suck and her pulling off saying i dont want it. Instead she would just have 'boobie cuddles' which had to be bare breast, but she would snuggle.up to it etc.. that was 2 days ago, now she still asks for it, but doesn't even try to suck, just has the cuddles.
    Now when she asks, do i encourage her to try? Or only let her if she does. One downside to her weaning is thats how i would get her to have an arvo nap...other people she will cuddle with and fall asleep with, but not me. So i guess the real question is do i want her to drop her sleep...that im not ready for =p

TT maybe she will be happy with boobie cuddles now before bed? I've heard that before, kids who transition from milk to cuddles with the boobie One of my friends' sons used to fall asleep with his head on her boob and his hand down her top

I'm glad she came back, even if it may not continue Don't forget weaning can mess about with you a bit, so go gently.

Afm, well, I am thinking about walking the same path. Not because DS2 wants to, but because I am getting a bit sick of it. I never wanted it to go this way but I'm just over it. I've been pregnant or breastfeeding for more than 6 years, with out a break, and I am thinking its time to wind it up. It's starting to wear me down too - if I'm not around, he can go to sleep fine, he's fine without me when he gets tired. When I'm around, however, as soon as he gets tired he starts screaming at me for milk. When he's feeding he sticks his hand down my top, which I hate. I try and take his hand out and say firmly "Stop, I don't like that" but he just keeps doing it. He takes hours to get to sleep at night and wakes 2am ish and starts demanding milk. I try and hold him off til 6am ish but it just wears me right down.

I wanted to let him wean when he was ready. But the reality of it is a bit different.

That is perfectly understandable OP. I felt like that when Spock was about 18mths. Which is when I forced the night weaning, that helped, and then made it easier to have control and limit when she feeds through the day. It was hard though, took months to get to where I wanted.

hugs OP. The years do take a physical and emotional toll.

Night weaning, and moving to set times for feeds made it much easier for me to continue feeding. i couldn't handle wandering hands and had to hold hands with the child during feeds. When feeds were cutting down, i found DD needed more physical stimulation. cuddles from dad (not from me, cuddles seemed to frustrate her when breastfeeding changes were initiated by me), back massages, and physical activity - jumping running spinning. DS weaned during pregnancy, and preferred to sit with his back to my chest having a banana. he liked rubbing my belly when i was pregnant to go to sleep, but maybe cos i couldn't handle boobie cuddles.

My DD2 recently spoke her first "sentence"... "Mummy booby me me me couch." I'd been gone for 6 hours volunteering and she was clearly starving - she can really hold out. Her stubbornness will take her far one day.

Im really not enjoying bf Spock anymore. ... we are technically down to one a day, before bed, but she still asks for it at other times, and gropes and plays with my boobs all the time! Tips on gently encoraging her to drop that last feed?

I feel your pain, I'm fed up with it too. Have you tried talking with her about it? As in "don't do that, I don't like it" when she grabs you.

As for the feed, some things I'm trying is talking about how bugs boys don't have milk from mummy and that I might run out soon. Not really working for me but I'm giving it a go...

Tt40 and op im with you here.

Dd2 turned two today and still bfing constantly throughout the day and night

Everyone has said how good she is when im not around but when she sees me she hardly lets me take a break

Even at the shops she will be pulling my shirt down and sooking for milk.

So fed up.
    Havent had a full night sleep in two yrs and dd2 does not look like she is willing to give up bfing any time soon.

Doesnt help when i still get Dmer with strong let downs throughout the day.

Particularly worse on mondays due to constant feeding over weekend.

Will be going to see a doc to refer me to get some help.

Am. Over. It!!!

Hugs to all of you.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast