new thread!

ETA: boobs are cool.

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

yay!!

Life Subscriber

Jul 2006
    Brisbane

ah hem. Can I gently remind you to keep posts on topic. Of breastfeeding Otherwise the thread will be full in no time and I'll have to change it again.....

Apr 2009
    Sydney

Question: cluster feeding. How early does it start? I nursed DS2 4 times in 3 hours and he's only 3 weeks old. I'm talking gulping and searching for boob if DH was holding him. Also, he seems very very unsettled in the evening. The poor poppet is so tired but every time he nods off he gets a bout of tummy/pain, goes red, screams for 30sec or so, arches his back, kicks his legs out. Normal? I can't remember this happening with DS1..

Jan 2011
    Perth

I think it can start as soon as they are born.

Life Subscriber

Jul 2006
    Brisbane

That sounds very tiring BR It can be normal for some bubs at this age hun. If he feeds a lot in a short space of time, do you keep changing breasts or stay with the one? It might help him settle if you stick to one breast per feed for a few days, and even one breast for two or more consecutive feeds if they are close together. If your other side feels full, expressing enough for comfort is a good idea to keep those blocked ducts at bay.

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Aug 2010
    Over the hills and far away

Teirae I had the same problem, it has eased over time but still feel it. Which is good, let's me know when the rush starts, to calm DS and put pressure on other nipple to prevent leaking. And agree with HotI the pressure thing generally works.

Sent from HTC wildfire using TAPATALK, so forgive any spelling errors its a small keyboard.

Apr 2009
    Sydney

Thanks MR. Yep I'm actually sticking to one breast per nursing session. Hoping it's just a phase. I just don't remember ds1 being this bad. But each baby is different I guess

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

blackrose ~ my dd does that often! hence my question a while back about when to swap sides. ive been keeping to one side mainly when that happens. mach nurse said when they gulp it gives themm more wind - they suck mire in and milk just pushes it all down rather thsn giving it a chance to come up. dd is better now at controlling/coping with it and doesnt gulp aa much....i only assume the bigger she gets the easier it will be for her.

sent via my vortex manipulator!

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

Forgot what I was going to say.

Gees this little (big) man can eat. And hold onto his wind. Oh yeah, I was going to ask, and please forgive this stupid question (I blame baby brain), do "big" babies need to be fed more &/or more often? Mack feeds pretty well (so far! :fingerscrossed: ), but already I am feeding both sides, and sometimes twice on one side for a feed. Although I'm not sure how much of it is 'comforting'? He falls asleep on the boob.

And I will admit, I had forgotten how much newborns can make your nipples HURT! Owwwwwie!

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Aug 2010
    Over the hills and far away

Netix my DS was a big eater and weighed 9lbs 6ozs, not sure if that had anything to do with it. When my milk came in the engorgement was gone that evening. He now feeds 4 times a day sometimes 5, and can fully feed within 15mins from both sides. He fed 2hourly for his first few months and I had a massive supply.

Sent from HTC wildfire using TAPATALK, so forgive any spelling errors its a small keyboard.

Apr 2009
    Sydney

Teirae - yep I figure that things will settle down once my supply sorts its self out.

Netix - I would say yes. If you think about it, bigger adults have a higher calorific need to maintain their weight so I would assume babies would too as well as more calories to support them growing lots and lots. And yes,holy nipples batman!! Hope you're enjoying your newborn snuggles!

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

My smaller baby fed heaps more than my big baby. I have a feeling that 'bigger babies need more' might be a rumour, and it is more individual differences between kids.

Jan 2011
    Perth

Ladies... Consistent Green poo and nappy rash for the first time ever. I've heard this is wins? Or something I'm eating? She's still fussy every other feed though yesterday all her feeds bar one went without a hitch!

Jan 2011
    Perth

That would be wind

Mar 2009

My smaller baby also fed more which I believed to be because she has a higher metabolism so she used the calories quite quickly whereas my big baby seems to be able to store food more. My DD1 was 2.9kg, my DD2 was 3.8kg so quite the difference. I think it is just the different ways people convert energy.

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

Ladylove - any signs of teething? teeth coming through affects dds poos and the only time she gets nappyrash

12311 ...