thread: Breastfeeding Chatter #16

Jul 2005
    Sydney

M, great weight gain! DD2 put on 300g in her first week, which is more of a relief if you've got a small baby or had a rocky start. They do slow down in time.

BAL, glad to hear he had a better feed. Do you do bath time bfs? Or sleepy bfs?

Little O, poo is always changing. It's not usually a very good indicator of anything unless you think there's a reason to be concerned.

DD2 is stretching out her bfs a bit more. Loving her food, although it's not a major source of nutrition. Although nappy changing is now clearly demonstrating that stuff is definitely going in. She tackles food with so much enthusiasm! And because she's not into bfing for comfort, I can't see her bfing until four like her big sister. I'm going to enjoy it while it's here. I figure I've got at least until she's two. Fx.

I can't believe I'm sad that I might not bf much beyond two. Considering when I was pg with DD1 I figured once they were walking and talking that would do me. How much has changed!

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jan 2006

you never know jen, it could all change. dd was never much for comfort feeding to begin with....

Jan 2011
    Perth

Jennifer my girl has just started a few solids over the last few days after I wasn't quick enough and she stole my avocado and it's like she's been eating her whole little life! So I'll be interested to see how her feeds go when she's really into her solids journey.

Jan 2011
    Perth

Oh and while DD is most certainly a comfort sucker, she doesn't like comfort sucking on my boobs alas.

Jan 2011

I've noticed dd has upped her comfort sucking.

Actually she seems to be feeding more again, off both sides. She'd dropped down to one side, but now she needs too and is getting more restless these last 2 days. Could my supply have dropped? I haven't felt as full. She just finished a wonder week too..,

Jul 2008
    Melbourne

I'd say she's just making sure that you're producing what she needs - so your supply was meeting demand & rather than your supply dropping her demand may be increasing so she's feeding more frequently to meet her demand & simulate supply. everyone is different but I haven't felt full either with ds or dd after the first month or two.

as long as she's happy, peeing & pooing, your supply is most likely fine

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

I so hope DD goes back to the ready when DD2 is born. I miss BF her so much. Still offer every day, but my milk has been gone for a good few months now, and DD is about to enter her 14 month, and she only had one BF right at the beginning of her 13th, so I think it's fair to say she's weaned for now. Refuses it when I offer and signs for her bottle or water. One sweet observation, I taught her to sign milk for a BF at 7 months, and whenever she wanted a BF she signed milk. When my milk started to dry up and we started supplementing with EBM and cows milk, she stopped signing milk and started singing either water or her own variation, which means the bottle we use for her nap feeds for milk. I like that the milk sign was just for boobie milk. Sometimes when I'm offering boob she'll sign milk, but will just snuggle and cuddle them. Hoping to tandem feed if dd can go back in a few months.
    Last edited by PumpkinZulu; August 9th, 2012 at 03:54 PM.

Jan 2011

Thanks Sloane. She is definitely pooing and weeing a lot so that's good to know.

PZ: not sure of its what happened to you, but my mum said my brother went off her milk when she was pregnant with the next. Could this be what happened with your dd?

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

Sort of. My milk started drying up almost instantly. Nothing was keeping it there, and DD had a really, really hard time with it going because she was still feeding every 1-2 hours and so not ready to wean from the boob She fed for about a month when there was literally not a drop in my boobs, and then gave up. Now I have colostrum again and she hates it.

Jan 2011

Wow how annoying for you both! Wonder if it's the hormone change?
    Fx for you that she goes back on it when the milk comes back!

Our of curiosity, how do people go tandem feeding when bubs is newborn? Dd fed all the time so I wouldn't know how I could have fitted another feed in?

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

Hormonal changes is exactly what it is. I tried all the ways to boost supply in vain, teas, cookies, supplements, motilium, but it's the pregnancy that dictates the hormones and causes milk to go. Doesn't happen to everyone, but it's not really controllable if it does happen to you, which really, really sucks.

With tandem, I assume you just feed the other child when the newbie isn't on the boob? And maybe off the same side the newbie had last? No idea lol

Jan 2011

That would suck! Did you have a good supply before ?

On another topic(feeding at the moment so all these thoughts come out ), I didn't realize that demand feeding was such a different idea to some people?? I have these random that I meet ask how often she feeds and I say roughly 3 hourly, but depends. Cue shocked face I don't make her wait??? I figured if the child's hungry and I feed her it's normal!
    Also the time limit business. I actually like feeding her to sleep! She looks so cute as she dozes and then when I take the breast out when she's sleeping she startles and opens up for it again hehe

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

Amazing supply before, feeding DD every 1-2 hours around the clock and pumping around a litre a day also.

Jan 2011

That's just crazy how it can change! Did you have enough stored that you can keep giving her some?

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

Unfortunately no, I was donating, so had none of my own. Got donated EBM which we've just finished.

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

Double post.

Mar 2011
    Brisbane's Southside

Hi ladies!

I didn't know if I should start a new thread or not but I thought I'd see if anyone in here could help me - I've had a few issues with getting BFing established with DD2 (cracked and bleeding nipples that took a long time to heal, and blocked ducts a few times). It seems to have all settled down and feeding is going well but now I seem to have a red swollen area around the base of both of my nipples. It doesn't hurt but the skin is getting really dry and a bit itchy where it is red.

I thought the attachment issues might have been because she wasn't getting enough into her mouth - could this be an irritation of the skin because she is attaching wrong?

I googled it and thought it might be thrush but she doesn't seem to have any white in her mouth and I'm not getting and sharp pains - although just today DD2 has come up in a red spotty rash on her bum.

Does this sound like thrush? And if it is can I use the natural treatments that work for vaginal thrush?

Jul 2010
    Canberra

Amazing supply before, feeding DD every 1-2 hours around the clock and pumping around a litre a day also.
    Wowzers, awesome!

RE: demand feeding, yep, I get those comments too little_O - especially from older rellies. The LC at a BF class I went to before DD was born had the best analogy for it. If you think about how much we as adults eat, snack on and drink throughout the day, why wouldn't babies be the same?

... 61415161718