Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding Chatter #18

Default Breastfeeding Chatter #18

Sterla, I bf DD1 until she was almost four. Ppl do think it's unusual, but I know at least two of my friends who then went on to bf their own toddlers for longer partly because my doing it made them think about it. It was other Mums on here that normalised it for me too. So I think if other ppl see bfing toddlers, it will make it seem more normal. Since, you know, it's not like we're that weird in other things. Try to remind yourself how great it is that your DD is still bfing and all the benefits you are both getting from it.

DD2 is still a frequent bfer at 14 months. DD1 was down to about four bfs in 24 hrs and not overnight at this age, but DD2 would have four by lunchtime! And she wakes about 3 times a night.

It doesn't last forever. I think back to DD1 and those four years of bfing are a distant memory. It all passes so quickly. I try to enjoy our milky snuggles, this is the only time in her whole life when I can do this for her.

I reckon that amongst those mums that allow their babies free access, the frequency of feeds (and length, too) doesn't seem to change all that much. It's more normal, however, to push food and cut out feeds.

Default Re: Breastfeeding Chatter #18

thst could just be it MadB, I let Spock have whatever wherever whenever. the only restriction I have ever placed on her is when we are in the bath and she wants both sides at the same time (eg has lefty, comes off has a suck of righty comes off has a suck of lefty and repeat) she can go off and on all she wanys in the bath just only one side.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterla View Post
    ...Actually, I was wondering, is there a general thread for breastfeeding toddlers? I thought it might be helpful to be able to chat (and vent) with others doing the same.
    Great idea - you'll find it here

Hope it helps a bit Sterla!

Actually i beg to differ. I still offer regularly to DD and always have but she's definitely decreased feeds over the last 4-5 or so months. She's never been a booby monster though, always an economical timesaver feeder- too much to see and do and be distracted by! That said I have cut out one feed just recently (her pre-morning nap feed) as I'm back at work for two part days a week, replacing with cows milk. So she now has 3-4 feeds in 24 hours but she had been on 4 for a few months anyway. But just in the last two weeks she's been less interested even in her afternoon feed.

Ah, well, there's always an exception to the rule
    Just anecdotally, I guess, I've noticed the difference in babies I know between those who are breastfed freely and those who are actively dissuaded It's entirely unscientific

Quote Originally Posted by MadB View Post
    Ah, well, there's always an exception to the rule
    Just anecdotally, I guess, I've noticed the difference in babies I know between those who are breastfed freely and those who are actively dissuaded It's entirely unscientific
    I've noticed the same. I have been told if I want dd to eat more I need to stop breast feeding her so much

If I were to offer boob to DD right now she would squeal with excitement, clamber madly to get to my boob then... Have a few distracted sucks and twiddle with my other nipple and constantly swap from one to the other without really taking much.

I love that excited squeel =)

so after 10months, I finally don't squirt across the room with let down! dmer hasn't faded though, I had hoped it might when my letdown wasn't as strong

DS is smack in the 12 week wonder week and is having the lightest of feeds, crying and being distracted most of the time. I know it's normal but after 11 weeks of 2 hours feeding festivals & his massive growth I'm finding it very disconcerting. My boobs are feeling so neglected LOL. Still plenty of wet nappies and poo though.
    I'm glad you've started a toddler BFing thread OP. I had many family and friends around me with muted disapproval of my continued feeding DD beyond 1 then beyond 2 but I had a lovely experience one day when feeding then 18 month DD at a local shopping centre. I sat down to feed DD next to another mum with 2 kids and after about 30 seconds the lady turned to me and said 'I just have to say how proud of you I am (I'd never met her before), I've never seen anyone BFing a toddler in public and I think it's great you are'. She went on to say I'd given her confidence that perhaps she could continue feeding her baby past 12 months as she had weaned her 1st child before 12 months (due to pressure from around her) and really regretted it.
    Normalising toddler feeding in public helps others to have the confidence to do it themselves.

Ladylove does she like other milk?

I think some babies may be more independent. My brothers self weaned early and mum fed me to over 2!

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

Ok ladies I have a question
    I appear to have the lovely AF back DD is 6 weeks in a few days. The last day or so (just as AF has returned) she is showing some signs of reflux. Could something in my milk from AF have changed?
    Ps I am soooo cranky that AF is back just saying.

Thats a pain Joeve. I'd be cranky too. I know when mine returned DD was fussy for a few days as I think it affected my milk. Not sure about reflux though. Perhaps its because her digestive system is still so new and reacting to the change?

Thanks dusty she is just unsettled and grunting and arching her back, milk is coming back out a lot and she cries more then.
    I was hoping for a longer holiday from AF

that sucks! they do sometimes react to a change in taste, I think? Maybe see if it settles down again in a few days

Thanks MadB. I will just ride it out for a few days and hope things settle down. Just breaks my heart seeing her so sad.

I've heard a lot of mamas observe their babies become fussy around the time AF comes. I've not noticed it myself with DD though.

Default Re: Breastfeeding Chatter #18

I get a VERY fussy baby when AF arrives. It can start up to a week before and gets particularly bad for at least the first day or two when things then settle down.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast