Thread: Breastfeeding in my ergo, how? Cluster feeding for 7 hrs :(

Default Breastfeeding in my ergo, how? Cluster feeding for 7 hrs :(

Hi ladies,
    A few ppl have suggested BF bub while she is in a sling. We have the ergo & I'm wondering how I feed her while she is in it?
    When in it her head sits at about the top of my cleavage, I'm not sure how I would BF her.
    She has been cluster feeding but for sometimes 7 hrs straight & I'm trying my best to find strategies to make things easier. I'm so tired as she does this overnight, if you think the sling won't work do you have any other hints?
    My LC recommended sleeping with her as she will sleep on me but when I move her to the bassinet she sleeps for a cpl mins and then cries to be fed again, we do this for hrs on end through the night but I'm not so keen on sleeping with her in case I or DH suffocate her.

I'm not sure about the ergo as I' haven't used one, but definitely recommend sleeping with your baby - makes life much easier.
    there are a few risk factors - not reccommended if you're very overweight, smokers or on any medications that make it difficult for you to rouse from sleep - amd you should take care to keep baby's face clear of blankets etc.
    When very little, I sleep ny baby on my shoulder or arm, or next to me with my arm around them - that gives me reassurance that i won't roll on them and dh won't be able to without first waking me. you might also feel better if dh sleeps elsewhere.
    I think it's much safer to do this than risk falling asleep in a chair with baby in arms.
    hope you figure out a way to make things easier for you

No idea about b/fing in the ergo but i do know it can be done.
    Have you got a cot? If so you could take off one of the cot sides & put it up against the bed. She might sleep better knowing your close by or you could try putting a t-shirt you wear in the bassinet, that way your scent will be close to her & she might find some comfort in that.

This is what i have done, i used to make this whole set up in bed when she was tiny and she would sleep on me,before she was a mover and a shaker she just slept in bed with me , when she started to roll we moved the cot against the bed took one rail off , but now that she is crawling moving almost walking etc we just found it easier to just take the bed apart and we all sleep on the mattress, so much easier,DD starts off in her cot and then comes into the big bed after her first wake up, i can sleep while she feeds,comfort suckels etc,i find this exellent , best move we have made

I have an ergo as well, i did feed dd once in it but i had to lift my boob up to her and stuff hehe but i do know there is a way u can do it but im not sure how ?

I used a mei tai sling with dd, but it's the same arrangement as an ergo. Basically you have to loosen it a bit and get bub more in line with your breast, then you have to really lift your breast up and across to bubs mouth. At 7 months dd was a pro at feeding in the sling and it was a lifesaver for me. It is easier with larger breasts, but you can cradle bubs head in the crook of your arm and really loosen the straps if needed...then it's almost hands free. I used to do my shopping with dd feeding.

As for cosleeping, it really is the best way to maximize sleep. I would put dd on your side, with something up against the bed (even the cot) so she doesn't roll out. Then I would get her sleeping in line with your breast and go to bed topless. It's tiring when they feed all night, but you can sleep then too.

Breastfeeding mothers are VERY aware of their babies studies have shown, but maybe do some research to help you make the best choice for your family.

Hi, Babyluv,

What you have there seems to be a fabulously well adjusted human baby. For 9 months she lived *inside your body*. that was a habit of a lifetime - continually fed, always cuddled and never lonely, hearing their mother's heartbeat and their voice etc. Then they are born and our culture demands they sleep alone, in their bed for long hours at a time. No self respecting baby will want that. She's not starving - but she wants to be connected to you - and any baby knows that when your nipple is in her mouth - she has that connection she's had for a lifetime.
    I'm wondering, do you generally fall out of bed? What about your partner? Most of us, even though we are dog tired and sleeping like a log are aware enough to know where the edge of the bed is. Likewise with your baby. Parents that don't drink, smoke or take drugs are safe to sleep with their baby - and indeed, that's the way most of us survive these tough early days. Your LC has made a great suggestion.
    Re the ergo, loosen the straps so she drops to nipple height, or lift your breast us, cup it with your hand. It takes a bit of practise, but you will get there - a bit of a dance, or sway with your baby will soothe her to sleep

I don't agree with that babies wont fall out of bed, my LO has almost done it a few times once she started to roll, that's why we only sleep on a mattress now, and she has fallen of the mattress a few times now , but lucky she only falls onto soft carpet .
    You will work out for you what works for all of you, it may change a few times along the way, but remember different things work for different mums and bubs, so exp untill you find what does work.

It can be hard but i tried to keep remmebering that your baby needs you for comfort , they aren't crying when you put them down for fun , its only coz they really need you It will get easier , but i would give co sleeping a go as for me and a ot of ppl u will hear on BB it has saved their sleep. Lots of snuggles, and cuddles ,i found my rocking chair great to help soothe bub, also when bubs was brand new up untill she got to big for it , i used a close carrier , it put her to sleep straight away she loved the close comfort ,

Good luck

I think Barb was saying that as adults know where the edge of the bed is, parents know where their baby is in bed.

I use to co-sleep and DD2 learnt to latch on herself within a very short time when I thought she had had enough on one side I would Flip over and move her but some can feed both B on the side lying down

Quote Originally Posted by Kate07 View Post
    I think Barb was saying that as adults know where the edge of the bed is, parents know where their baby is in bed.
    Just got that And in that case i agree 100% with you Barb about that..I have never hurt DD rolled on her , we always seem to sleep just right with each other even when i am so tired i fall into a deep sleep

Hmmm the thread got a little jacked by co sleeping,

I personally did not co sleep until DS was 6 months, then he could lift up his head and move around if he needed to. From personal experience through a dear friend, I learnt before having my son that it isn't safe straight away.....
    a small baby cannot lift if head to prevent suffocation and can not get out of a tangled sheet.

DS had a few close calls just rolling over onto his tummy at two months and not being able to breathe with his face in the mattress, it scared the he'll out of me ....

Anyway,, ERGO.... I didn't have one, I had a love n care carrier but it sounds similar.

I adjusted the straps to lower DS to breast level.
    Sort of sat the sling to the side a little on my body( towards the left or right breast for example)
    Always wore easy access tops
    And took a muslin cloth everywhere which I placed over DS head and let hang loose whilst he fed ( or slept).

No one knew.....my mum used to be funny with me for breastfeeding in public....like a the table in the coffee shop or at lunch or shopping even....
    So I just did that, she never knew, bub was happy and it was super easy.....

Good luck!!!!!

I wouldn't feel safe feeding a baby in an Ergo if i was really tired (like overnight). Whether you co-sleep or not (and i didn't have bub in with me overnight when she was very little unless we were the only ones in there), you need to be and feel safe.

If you can learn to feed in a carrier it is a great skill to have though! I am not very good at it.

Falling asleep feeding bub on the couch can be more dangerous than safe co-sleeping. Can your partner take bub for awhile so you can get some sleep? Can you nap during the day? It does get better, you just have to work out best way to survive these early weeks.

I don't agree that Co sleeping is dangerous and unsafe, if done the right way eg not doing it when you are over tired, no drinking smoking , having no sheets coveres etc near bub then it has been proven safe..
    Like Kate said you need to do what feels safe and right for you, as everyone is different and will do different things, what ever works for you and your baby is the right thing.

When DD was vry young and we co slept i was nervous i put her in the crock of my arm so i would not move and thre fore not roll on her, but now she just hoggs the bed
    I don't think this thread has been turned into a co sleeping thread i jsut think that a lot of us on here have tried it and it works for us and our babies ,thats all.

I remmeber how hard it was in those early weeks, make sure u leave everything and try and sleep during the day when bub does, it will get better i was like a zombie for months , still think i am sometimes x

Sorry i havent read the replies so sorry if i double up, i found that i could feed DS with the ergo insert in.