Thread: EBM Donation Questions

Default EBM Donation Questions

I'm a little confused and knew the wonderful BB community would have some answers for me.....

EBM donations, personal views and recommendations please. If you choose to go this way........

How old can the milk be if it is frozen?

Can I (DS is 16 months) donate fresh milk to a newborn or is it preferable to have someone who has a bub similar in age?

If milk was expressed whilst my DS and I were both sick is that still ok? (I have test results of the virus we have so know what it was) I assume it would have contained antibodies to that virus but it wouldn't actually transfer, yeah?

I'm sure these answers are out there somewhere, I just cant asked them on the site I'm looking at :-)

Thanks heaps!

Default Re: EBM Donation Questions

I'm in a facebook group called human milk for human babies (and associated state) and have donated some of my leftovers in the fridge. Some people ask for blood tests and some people don't, some donated regularly and to the same person, some just donate a little. It's a at your own risk kind of thing though, as there's not much in the way regulated milk banks. If I was more organised I'd do it more, but I have enough go trouble just getting my act together around the house, let alone to pump more often.

There is advice on the ABA site about how long milk can be kept in the freezer. I think it's 3 months in the standard upright freezer, and 6 months for deep freeze.

I donated when DD was around 12 months to a friend with a newborn, didn't matter that there was an age differnce.
    I used to express and store in fridge until I could drop it off or it be picked up.

If it's a choice between milk from a different aged baby and formula, then it's still far superior. The best milk is a mother's own, but failing that another mother's is the next best thing.
    I don't know whether viruses (or antibodies for that matter) would survive being frozen and thawed.
    Milk can be stored in the freezer from 2 weeks to 12 months, depending on the type of freezer. More info here.

I've just looked into donating to the royal brisbane who have a milk bank. I've just got in contCt with them today. They do a medical history screening and boods tested I believe every three months.

When my daughter, Ellen, died at full term I offered to donate milk as I'd been expressing a little just before birth in anticipation of possible problems. I had all this wonderful milk ready for a newborn and could have helped someone I'm sure. Unfortunately Canberra Hospital has no milk bank and no one there knew (or even cared) how I could donate.
    It would have been so good to help a sick baby or mum at such a hard time.
    To offer colostrum would have been great for a premmie baby I'm sure.
    I wish milk banks were a natural part of maternity wards. Imagine the amazing health benefits.
    It still makes me cry that all that good saved milk was thrown away and that I couldn't help anyone.

That's a terrible shame You're right, it would be a wonderful thing if all babies could benefit from the generosity of other mums.
    Hospitals are gradually getting better at this, but there's little political will (or resources) for the creation of milk banks and most mums in need rely on the informal online networks like human milk 4 human babies.

Quote Originally Posted by kateo View Post
    When my daughter, Ellen, died at full term I offered to donate milk as I'd been expressing a little just before birth in anticipation of possible problems. I had all this wonderful milk ready for a newborn and could have helped someone I'm sure. Unfortunately Canberra Hospital has no milk bank and no one there knew (or even cared) how I could donate.
    It would have been so good to help a sick baby or mum at such a hard time.
    To offer colostrum would have been great for a premmie baby I'm sure.
    I wish milk banks were a natural part of maternity wards. Imagine the amazing health benefits.
    It still makes me cry that all that good saved milk was thrown away and that I couldn't help anyone.
    So sorry Kateo. I bet it would gave been very healing to be able to help someone in need at such a difficult time.