Thread: FF'ed Baby & Constipation.. Novolac? Advice?

Default FF'ed Baby & Constipation.. Novolac? Advice?

Well as the heading suggests, my DD who is now 8 days old is suffering from constipation, she is still only drinking 40-60 mls per feed and when able to poo, which can be less then daily, she passes pellets n def strains to get these out, groans and lets out little whimpers ;(

I am contemplating changing her to Novolac for Constipation but am hesitant as i don't want to throw her out of whack.
    DD Is currently on Karicare the normal formula and whilst she seems content the constipation is getting the better of her.
    My first DD was on novolac at a similar age but i cant seem to recall how long we used it but do remember we went back to karicare once she became regular.

Ive tried cooled boiled water to no avail.
    Anyone have any advice pls?
    Anyone tried Novolac?
    While she is a good sleeper (knock on wood) will it keep her hungry?
    And could the Mls she is taking be due to being constipatrd? As she should be taking upto 100 mls per feed?

TIA FF'ed Baby & Constipation.. Novolac? Advice?

Default Re: FF'ed Baby & Constipation.. Novolac? Advice?

How much water are you trying? Are you offering it with each bottle or occasionally?

Im giving her upto 20 mls as much as 3 times a day as directed by the health nurse

Also her belly button seems to not be healing and weeping due to the pushing

I don't know if you can use it on a baby that young but we used lactolose for DS. It works by drawing water into the bowel. We had major issues with DS and formula including the constipation we had him on the novalac colic for a while but in the end it was the S26 lactose free that worked and everything settled down from there. He isn't lactose intolerant but the chn said some babies have lower thresholds of how much they can tolerate so we kept him on it and had no more issues. Also try adding an extra 10ml of water to every bottle you make up.

It states on their website from birth and what i can recall from previous use with DD1 she was around 2-3 weeks old when on it, i bought a can incase but ill try adding the 10mls extra and see how i go.. I just dont want her to dillute it too much and mess with the formula too much aa the health nurse said not to, but im willing to try anything atm

It can take 2-3weeks to get an accurate idea if the formula you are using is suitable (unless of course they are clearly not tolerating it). I would try giving her 10-15mls of boiled water before every bottle. How often is she having a bottle? Is she waking for it or do you need to wake her to feed? 40-60mls seems fine to me depending on how frequently. The back of the formula tins are only a guide so I would really be looking at what she has in a 24hr period and how many wet nappies she has.

Would definitely suggest going back to health professional for more ideas.
    The risk with water is that it can sate hunger and lead to baby taking less milk than they need. How is she other than poos? How many wet nappies? Is she waking well to feed and alert? Has she gained weight?

Her wet nappies are fine, no issue there, she's feeding but very fussy and normally starts straining from the minute you put the bottle near her mouth.
    She is starting to fill out her clothes so she is def putting on weight.
    She is generally fine, my main concern is now her belly button and the constipation, you can tell by looking at her bum hole she has been pushing hard, and her belly button protrudes and is bloody especially when she is pushing
    Im def gonna make a trip to the dr's but problem is being a weekend a reliable dr is hard to find in my areas and def dont want some quack prodding at her

She does sound a bit more blocked up then one would expect at her age. I'd be taking her to the Dr today too.

ED even? Hope she comes good soon.
    Do you have breastmilk at all? Even a little could help, also. Good luck.