Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to prepare for breastfeeding when pregnant....

Default How to prepare for breastfeeding when pregnant....

I came across a book briefly today - didn't buy it, but it was about breastfeeding and had a section on preparing to breastfeed.... I hadn't even thought about preparing.....

So hit me with your best tips and tricks... Or tell me what you would do differently to prepare for your first breastfeeding experiences if you could do it over again.

Default Re: How to prepare for breastfeeding when pregnant....

Go to an ABA-run breastfeeding education class. Class cost includes ABA membership which means you can attend group meetings and have access to breastfeeding counsellors. You'll also get a copy of "breastfeeding... Naturally" which is a great book and helpful resource.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanPrincess View Post
    Go to an ABA-run breastfeeding education class. Class cost includes ABA membership which means you can attend group meetings and have access to breastfeeding counsellors. You'll also get a copy of "breastfeeding... Naturally" which is a great book and helpful resource.
    Yep, this!!

I've looked on their website. But none of the dates close to me are going to suit

There's a possible date in April - will that be too late? I'll nearly be 30 weeks - will I have time to prepare??

The book I glanced at suggested exposing your nipples to the sun.... ?? To toughen them up a bit.... That sounds like sunburn waiting to happen!! What do you think??

Now that I am with my phone I can tell you the book was called "the natural way to better breastfeeding" by Francesca Naish and Jeanette Roberts I wasn't sure whether it was any good so didn't buy it, thought I'd check in here first.

I part read 'breastfeeding matters' while I was pregnant which helped cement in my mind that I wanted to bf and why. Fascinating to read about what, how and why our boobies do what they do!
    Our classes at the hospital were helpful for positioning bub for feeding. But mostly it was the lc's at the hospital in the few days after he was born that helped get the latch right.

Don't worry if you can't get to a meeting. The membership is worth it even without the class. I didn't take one before DD1, but I did become an ABA member. I found the book to be a lifesaver (plus, the latest edition features DD1 and myself a couple of times ). So that's where I'd start. As for the sunburn, it's not for very long. But I never did anything to my nipples, and I didn't have any grazing/cracking issues either times, despite DD1 having a huge amount of attachment issues in the beginning. Some people just do, and some people don't. My advice would be, don't assume you'll have problems. By all means educate yourself on all aspects so that you can go into it informed and ready for any issues, but otherwise, my mindset was simply, "of corse, why *wouldn't* I be able to breastfeed?"

Quote Originally Posted by myturn View Post
    I've looked on their website. But none of the dates close to me are going to suit

There's a possible date in April - will that be too late? I'll nearly be 30 weeks - will I have time to prepare??

The book I glanced at suggested exposing your nipples to the sun.... ?? To toughen them up a bit.... That sounds like sunburn waiting to happen!! What do you think??

Now that I am with my phone I can tell you the book was called "the natural way to better breastfeeding" by Francesca Naish and Jeanette Roberts I wasn't sure whether it was any good so didn't buy it, thought I'd check in here first.
    30 weeks is a perfect time in my opinion definitely not too late - I didn't go as didn't realize they existed but did become an ABA member and go to group meetings (including a couple before birth) and have since been a 'demo mum' (being able to watch mums breastfeeding is a key part of most classes) at the classes several times and they have people go ranging from earlier than 30 to right up to their due date.

I am in two minds myself about the amount preparation required for breastfeeding - I think is one of those things you can overthink IYKWIM - I read 'breastfeeding naturally' the ABA book and that is about it - I think it is a fantastic book.

I have heard the sun thing, after DD was born the MCHN who came for home visit told me to stop using Lansinoh and get some sun on them - it was June and we only have a balcony over a tram stop so I am not quite sure how I was meant to achieve that. I do think that giving nipples 'air time' so just not in a bra can help from skin getting too soft.

I haven't heard of that specific book, I used to look after our ABA group library and books have to meet ABA guidelines to go into it, and I don't recall that one but it could be quite new.

Oh and what PZ said I couldn't agree more with.

"My advice would be, don't assume you'll have problems. By all means educate yourself on all aspects so that you can go into it informed and ready for any issues, but otherwise, my mindset was simply, "of course, why *wouldn't* I be able to breastfeed?"

Acquire breasts.

Count breasts (you're aiming for 2, but 1 or 3 can work).

Talk lovingly to breasts.

Join the ABA.

Get some tops you can comfortable release the kracken (I mean, the breasts) from. These don't need to be "maternity" tops, just anything you can pull up or down enough to get a boob out comfortably.

Get some cloth nappies - just terry squares - to have under bubs when feeding, and to use for burping after feeds.

Put together your breastfeeding box - for your book, remote, Lansinoh, breastpads, snacks, waterbottle, notebook, puzzlebook, phone, pens, tissues, babybook etc. You'll spend a lot of time breastfeeding!

Maybe even borrow a box set of something ... DS1's feeds went for anything from 45-90 minutes...

Get either a breastfeeding pillow, or one of those ones with a high back, or whatever, so you can be comfortable during feeds. You may well want a pillow while they're really little, so you're not bending over to feed them - you're bringing them up to you, so you can keep your back reasonably straight.

Sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by myturn View Post

LMAO that book is old school and wrong, you don't need to toughen them up!

30 weeks is perfect. Otherwise come out to the one at Eltham, Edendale farm. You might see someone you know

Seriously, the class is wonderful just for exposure to some of the "normal" breastfeeding things. Like - what does poo look like for the first week? What does a normal day look like, from a breastfeeding perspective? Hint: there isn't one

You get a chance to see a mum with a little bub (less than three months in most instances) who will demonstrate a breastfeed. Most mums find that invaluable as we just don't see much breastfeeding occurring around us these days. You can get up right close (they won't mind - I've been one too, like wysiwyg) and you can actually see what is happening.

Anyway, if you don't get to one, that's ok

You don't need to "do" anything to prepare your breasts or nipples. Have you noticed the little bumps on your areola? They are called Montgomery's glands and their job is to prepare your nipples They secrete all the substances required to keep your nipples healthy and happy. If you try and do anything to prepare your nipples, you can upset the natural balance.

Post baby, well, if things go pear shaped (nipple damage) then that can be addressed later. Cross that bridge and all that!

Quote Originally Posted by Eenee View Post
    LMAO that book is old school and wrong, you don't need to toughen them up!
    It did seem weird to me... That's why I didn't buy it! Glad I didn't!! I did look at the date and it was 2002 - another reason I put it down. And I wasn't convinced about their qualifications.

It was just the first time even thought of preparation - I've always just assumed I'll give it a go for as long as feels right for me - I want it to work, but I'm okay if it doesn't.

I agree with a couple of the previous posts in that you learn by doing it. If I did it all over again I would not stress out so much about the tiny amount of colostrum I was getting at the start, and trust that my milk would eventually come in (came in on day 5).

I would also seek professional advice sooner rather than later if you felt something was not right. I went to a day stay shortly after coming home & it was invaluable, got attachment checked & advice/plan to deal with damaged nipples. With all the advice & info out there about what/how you should feed, it was really beneficial to me to go see someone one on one who I could discuss everything with.

I would also buy a little stool for my feet to make feeding more comfortable.

I had lots of support too (husband, mum & sisters) when things went pear shaped, so hopefully you can call on reinforcements if things get a bit crazy. I can remember sitting in my kitchen days after coming home, crying bc my boobs hurt so much I couldn't use a pump, so had to hand express. My husband even had a go, so did my mum! But like others have said, you might not have a problem & I hope you don't. : )

Quote Originally Posted by OceanPrincess View Post
    30 weeks is perfect. Otherwise come out to the one at Eltham, Edendale farm. You might see someone you know

Seriously, the class is wonderful just for exposure to some of the "normal" breastfeeding things. Like - what does poo look like for the first week? What does a normal day look like, from a breastfeeding perspective? Hint: there isn't one

You get a chance to see a mum with a little bub (less than three months in most instances) who will demonstrate a breastfeed. Most mums find that invaluable as we just don't see much breastfeeding occurring around us these days. You can get up right close (they won't mind - I've been one too, like wysiwyg) and you can actually see what is happening.

Anyway, if you don't get to one, that's ok

You don't need to "do" anything to prepare your breasts or nipples. Have you noticed the little bumps on your areola? They are called Montgomery's glands and their job is to prepare your nipples They secrete all the substances required to keep your nipples healthy and happy. If you try and do anything to prepare your nipples, you can upset the natural balance.

Post baby, well, if things go pear shaped (nipple damage) then that can be addressed later. Cross that bridge and all that!
    Thanks OP I think this made me doubled guess myself, I've been pretty lucky that I've been "around" breastfeeding and I had seen the classes a few weeks ago so it was on my mind. I just assumed it would happen or it wouldn't and I'll cross that bride when I come to it...

I go braless every night and sleep topless all the time anyway - my breasts have been leaking on and off since my miscarriage in 2012 - stopped when I got UTD to start with - so I think they work. Lol. But I know I won't know until I try. I've been leaking clear stuff - colostrum I assume - since about 11 weeks. Anyway... Good to know I'm on the right track to start with - I'll keep checking the classes and book something in I think. It wouldn't hurt anyway.

Peanutter - you amuse me xo

Thanks everyone - it's hard to remember everything as I'm on my phone. But all the advice was great - any more ideas welcome

Definitely recommend the ABA class I would also suggest watching some YouTube vids on attaching/latching-on as well, and to make sure that at every feed bubs is properly attached to avoid any damage and pain. At the first sign of anything not right, seek help!

I also recommend the ABA class - and take your husband. One of the best ways to succeed at BF is to have the support of those around you - partner, family, friends etc. Mostly, your partner. I attended the ABA class with hubby whilst pregnant with DS1. The thing I remembered 3.5 years later when I could finally BF, was "tummy to tummy, nipple to nose", which helped in the early days. Also, if the latch hurts, to break it with your little finger and start again.

A good piece of advice I read in "Baby on Board" (highly recommend this book), is to not make any decisions at 2am. If things seem tough and it would be easier to use artificial breastmilk, stick it out until daylight.

Something I read, but did not do, is that apparently smearing kefir across your breast and armpits whilst pregnant can help prevent mastitis - the probiotics do something whizz bang. I just couldn't bring myself to do it
    (btw, I'm not recommending this, it was just one of those things I read)

Have lots of spew clothes in key areas around the house. Buy lots of the big cotton squares. We have a dozen and that's not enough, IMO.

Was just with a girlfriend who has a newborn, and thought I'd add " never underestimate the amount of time it takes to feed a little baby".
    Seriously, you forget later on, but it can take ages. And then low and behold they need feeding again!
    It's not a negative thing, but I did think it was taking too long and I had no time for other things. Pretty soon they are older and quicker and it's all over too soon.

And don't toughen them up! One girl in my ante natal class got told to toughen her nipples up with a toothbrush first! Noooo!

I knew you guys were awesome - some great tips here!

I need to get an exercise book to write things down in one place so I don't forget!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast