Thread: Molasses in lactation cookies??

Default Molasses in lactation cookies??

Hi there, i was just wondering if i were to substitute in molasses instead of the brown sugar in the BB lactation cookies recipe, how much should i use? I have googled this but getting mixed substitution qtys i have also tried it once but the cookies were very moist and not very nice.

Also with the suggestion to use thicker cut oats - does this mean steel cut oats?

Im hoping these will boost my supply more as i need to express more, have been bf for 9mths and preparing for when start going back to work! I have had one batch so far and think it's helping.
    thanks!!

Default Re: Molasses in lactation cookies??

Oats are a galactogogue (lactation enhancer- spelling of that might be off) so most should work though less processed/cut up means less likelihood of interference of base nutrients... Thicker cut I think means rolled oats (not quick oats) but if you have steel cut they would be fine and TBH I have used quick oats and fine too.

The sugar is not an active ingredient so you could substitute it with whatever.

The most active ingredient is the Brewers Yeast- don't substitute that with anything!

Ps I find when I express makes a big difference to output. Mornings are much better for me and contrary to common belief I need to wait more than 20 mins after a feed to pump to get good milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylove View Post
    Ps I find when I express makes a big difference to output. Mornings are much better for me and contrary to common belief I need to wait more than 20 mins after a feed to pump to get good milk.

Thanks so much Ladylove, good to know! Re the molasses, i guess I'm looking more for the measurement of molasses to use to replace brown sugar, as i haven't quite got it right yet.

thanks!