Thread: Sudden early waking and staying awake!

Default Sudden early waking and staying awake!

Hi

Just looking a bit of advice please. My 10 month old has just started waking at 5.00am and making this the new starting time of his day. Previously he used to sleep until about 7.00am but for the last 4 days its changed and wondering if there are any tips to getting him to go that little bit longer. (I know I was spoilt having a 7am waker till now). I could probably roll with it if he would go back to sleep after I feed him but nope he's up and ready to rock and roll!

Not sure if there is anything in particular that has triggered this. I am not going into him the minute he wakes as I am hoping that he would resettle and go back to sleep but that hasn't worked so far. Its pitch black at that stage so its not light or birds that are waking him. He has air con in his room so its not cold thats waking him. He is going to bed at about 7pm which is what he used to do previously (and he wouldn't last longer than that).

Any ideas? Or might it just be a little phase he'll go through and then revert back to later?

Thanks

HI
    No ideas except he wants a cuddle from mum .... just think he will be back down a few hours later ... i know it is early but it want last long as babies change their patterns to often . You will just need to go to bed earlier or have your dh/dp to help over night if the sleep deprivation is still a problem... Or the bub is hungry !

How big are his day naps? Eventually the total of hours they require in a 24 hour period drops, so if they keep having huge day time naps they sleep less at night.

Hi Studymum his days sleeps are okay I think. Anything between 40 minutes to maybe 1.5 hours in the morning and probably about an hour or so in the afternoon. He goes down after being up about 3 hours in the morning and a little bit longer in the middle of the day which I think is about correct for his age? He doesn't always go to sleep straight away when I put him down but will play away in his cot quietly. In the evenings he can't last much beyond 7pm regardless of what time he gets up at so he will either be down at that stage or just finishing his breast feed.

Will just have to see how it goes - I was just wondering if this was something that often happened at his age.

My DD did this too. My solution was to bring her back to bed (if she wasn't already there) for that 5am feed. Most of the time she'd fall back asleep. She became very aware that Mummy doesn't get up before 7am!

THe only other solution I can give is after that bf, pass him over to Daddy and they can spend a bit of quality time together over breakfast!

LOL Jennifer re learning that Mummy doesn't get up before 7.00!.

I am hoping that he will have my genes with regards to being able to go back to sleep once he has woken early rather than his fathers! I am quite happy to lie in bed snoozing rather than getting up if its early but my DH is the opposite he hates snoozing! Though even he would draw the line at getting up at 5.00am!

We did bring him into the bed with us but he only wanted to play I've got to keep a tight grip on him these days as he launches himself off the side of the bed if youre not careful! Was just easier to get up and let him play in the lounge at least I could semi - doze on the sofa

I just want to sympathise - I have a 5am waker too - its winter for god's sake, stay asleep until the sun is up at least! This morning both boys woke up at 5am. I try to feed him back to sleep, & sometimes I get a doze between 5 and 6, but just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

DS did this too, but has recently started sleeping later again. We tried feeding in bed, darkened windows, extra dinne/supper... nothing worked.
    It really, really sucks when a 5:30 wakeup is a sleep in