Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training with the Australian Breastfeeding Association... Have You Thought About It?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Training with the Australian Breastfeeding Association... Have You Thought About It?

The Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) is a Registered Training Organisation offering nationally-recognised courses.

Training is offered only to financial members of the Association. Course fees include membership of the Association.

Courses offered by the ABA include:

Courses for volunteer roles:

10006NAT Certificate IV in Breastfeeding Education (Counselling)
    10007NAT Certificate IV in Breastfeeding Education (Community)
    TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment

More info: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/training/public
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

I am currently undertaking both of the breastfeeding education courses through the ABA at the moment. I had hoped to be finished by now... just have to buckle down and get the assessments done!

I would recommend it.
    I have nearly finished my Certificate IV in Breastfeeding Education (Counselling). It has taken me about 4 years so far, as I have had lots of other things on, so anyone who wants to do it, I say go for it - the only cost is the yearly ABA Membership fee and you can go at your own pace.

tk1999 - which group are you with?

I want to do it but unfortunately the ABA does not take into account already working mothers and I am unable to attend local meetings therefore I have essentially been deemed ineligible. I am pretty upset as whilst I understand that you need to be an active community participant etc it's just not doable for me around my work schedule.

That's not true. There are options for working mothers. Many of us have worked in the paid workforce and trained. But it is important you be involved in your group, but that could take many forms. ABA can't and doesn't descriminate against working mums.

Quote Originally Posted by Barb Glare View Post
    That's not true. There are options for working mothers. Many of us have worked in the paid workforce and trained. But it is important you be involved in your group, but that could take many forms. ABA can't and doesn't descriminate against working mums.
    Barb I'm really glad that's not the case all round and I was probably a little harsh in my original post but there weren't really any other options given to me. Another group nearby was meeting "some" evenings but I also don't drive which again was prohibitive to participation.

DC I've just finished my training and was working PT for most of it. I know I can't attend day meeting and we only meet once a month at night but I've signed on for email counselling, which is a great way to give back without messing up work.

I'm trying to work out when I can schedule in a helpline shift but it isn't mandatory to even be on helpline on a regular basis - they acknowledge that everyone's position is different and family always comes first.

There are ways - if you are passionate about it, look into it again. I am so glad I did, I've learned bucket loads.

I never knew this! Have just had a quick look and def think this might be something I'm into in the future. I'd like more mummy experience first I love the idea of being a community educator. I have a background in community development and live in a regional area with very limited BF, pregnancy and post natal services apart from hospital and gp services and a few very dedicated community members so think I could really offer something to the community here. Thanks for posting about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DragonCookie - you don't have to go to meetings. I work full time and take maybe one day off per year to attend a meeting, but there are other ways you can get involved, e.g. helping out with Breastfeeding Education classes (these are usually run in the weekends), or working at the Baby Expo or other events where the ABA have a stand. Or you can do some admin work from home, e.g. answering emails for your local group. Don't be discouraged...

Im hoping to do some of their courses as well. Would love to get involved as a community educator and im hoping to do the training soonish so i can be involved when the kids are just a bit older

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

This is something I've thought about doing but I've never really been to anything ABA related although being a member so is it too late to investigate my local group and get involved? I breastfed DD1 till she weaned just after 3, through a pregnancy and into tandem feeding, I'd love to help others but am I bit nervous about meeting up so late in the game!

JF definitely still get yourself involved!! No way is it too late

Sloane, that's great. You'll find it so rewarding.

Dantri - wow, sounds like a CE would be really beneficial out your way.

How exciting, so many new trainees possibly in the works! Then we can all meet up at conference

Would be really interested in this but not sure how useful I'd be as I'm a bit of a failure with breastfeeding. Had to exclusively express for 12 months for DS1, and now with DS2 have just reached 6 months of feeding and the pain has only just stopped. I've also had mastitis 10 times. Do they have a use for breastfeeding failures?

Wow, exclusively expressing for 12 months is pretty awesome in my eyes. Your experiences could be really beneficial in empathising with other mothers who are having difficulties.
    Have you linked in with your local ABA group surprised?

No I haven't HotI. I got to the point with DS1 that I just didn't want yet another person trying to tell me how to breastfeed. I did ring the helpline lots, but my problems were so significant that I was a bit beyond help!

surprised - there is definitely a use for mums who have faced big breastfeeding challenges!

I'm slowly muddling through the counselling course. I'd only just started when I got pregnant, and computer screens made me spewy, so that was a spanner in the works. But I love it.

Surprised, it might sound wierd but there is more to the ABA than breastfeeding, the peer support can be great in good times and bad. i have met some really great women through ABA.

Sounds like you're very qualified indeed to empathise with other mums and support them through breastfeeding difficulties!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast