Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats in breastmilk & whats in formula: ingredients list

WOW! Thats all I've got, never did I imagine so many 'extras'. WOW!

I showed this list to some high school girls when doing a talk about breastfeeding. They were suitably impressed.

I believe that knowledge is power. Very much so. The more informed we are, the better our choices will be, and the more powerful we will be in our convictions.

That said - breastfeeding is not a lifestyle choice. Artifically feeding babies is not an equal option.

This is not my opinion - this is fact.

Breastfeeding is the biological normal way to feed babies AND toddlers. If child-led weaning is followed, the natural age of weaning varies, just as the natural age for walking, talking and other developmental miletones varies. It is still normal for a 7 year old to still wish to nurse. If you think about it, our 'milk teeth' don't start to come out until after 5 or 6 years old.

The Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) outlines why breastfeeding is important Australian Breastfeeding Association - Why Breastfeeding is Important

Breastfeeding is also a learned skill. It requires encouragement and support.

The ABA is a great place to start learning about breastfeeding. If you are pregnant, they offer Breastfeeding Education Classes. These are as important as childbirth clases. Breastfeeding can be considered the forth trimester. It requires preparation, awareness, a plan.
    Breastfeeding might be our biological norm, but because it is not our cultural norm, it can be very hard to establish and maintain breastfeeding. Knowing why breastfeeding is so important can help with perseverance if the early days of establishing breastfeeding are difficult. Having a commitment to breastfeeding and seeking help from reliable reources (such as ABA, you can ring the breastfeeding helpline 24/7 it is 1800 MUM 2 MUM). Having good support around you is also essensial.

If you are uncertain about breastfeeding, you may need to address your feelings before your baby is born. This may mean seeking counselling.

One issue that affects breastfeeding is returning to work. The decision of when and if to return to paid work is a personal one. It is possible to continue breastfeeding, and is beneficial to employers to facilitate it.

Along with breastfeeding, the introduction of solids is often an area of varied reccommendations. This article is useful Australian Breastfeeding Association - Introducing Solids .

Wooooo go boobies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alioops View Post
    Far OUT that is a long list coming from my boobs!!
    LOL that's exactly what i was thinking!

Woah, how neat.

No wonder I'm exhausted at the end of the day! I truly am a milk factory!!!
    Go boobies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so posting the BM list on fb. Amazing stuff, the ol' booby juice

WooMumma that is one impressive list. Way to go boobies. No wonder my girls give me great big milk drunk smiles after a feed

Holy Moly how did I not see this before ........ That really is incredible.I always knew thefact that BM was the better option (where you have the option of course) but I NEVER expected it to out weigh Formula by so much. That really is incredible!!

I know this is an older thread but wanted OP to know that my milk didn't "come in" until day 4 or day 5 but my body still made colostrum during that period (birth til milk came in) DD certainly feed a lot more during those days before the milk came in but I just took that as normal.

Nae x

My milk didn't come in until day 6!!! Now, my cup overfloweth

Foothills of the Blue Mountains, West Sydney, NSW

Wow this really makes me so feel good inside! I am just so proud of having the honour of breastfeeding my precious 10 month old it may be a challenge at times and we certainly have had our ups and downs but it is so so so worth it and the most rewarding thing ever!

I absolutely love seeing the amazing benefits in black and white for a change... Will definitely be sharing this around!

All I can say is that as a Mum the best gift you can give your baby is breastfeeding - nutritionally and emotionally

Sent from my iPhone more than likely while I should be doing something else!

I like the sound of the HAMLET acronym, like I'm giving a bit of shakespearean culture to my DD along with the breastmilk!

But the 'components' sound a bit like motor parts

Default Re: Whats in breastmilk & whats in formula: ingredients list

wow. its amazing breast milk formulas list.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12