Thread: Advice please - not sure whats happening 10 mth old

Default Advice please - not sure whats happening 10 mth old

ds has just turned 10 months, we demand feed which usually ends up a feed before naps/bedtime (2 naps per day atm). he doesn't usually fall asleep with these feeds, goes down happy & falls asleep by himself. lately, past 3-4 days, he hasn't wanted to feed before his sleeps. overnight he is feeding 2-3 times, around every 3-4 hours. he's been doing this for months now (the overnight feeds).

im not sure if its his teeth, perhaps his ears (seems to latch on, couple half-hearted goes, then turns head away) - he doesn't seem in pain, sometimes he seems a little annoyed. he seems to not want the left, and subsequently my right boob is a monster and the left looks limp. im a bit worried about supply atm, especially the left. i do offer it first in the hope that if he feeds of it more it will boost supply (that's how it works, right?!). im not sure if im making sense... im pretty tired atm. basically i think im worried about supply, i know he's got a lot going on atm (teething, trying to say words, attempting to take first steps - he's a very busy little guy) which could explain the refusals. i really don't want to pump, it doesn't work that well for me anyway. i guess im a bit worried that he's not getting enough fluids either, although he drinks water quite well. i don't know. also, im pretty sure my cycle is trying to come back (haven't had af yet), could that be it too? i have read that hormones can change the breast milk taste, although he's not even 'tasting' to decide he doesn't want it. i don't know. maybe someone will see something that i haven't, think of something i haven't? am i making too big of a deal of this bc im tired/emotional?!

Default Re: Advice please - not sure whats happening 10 mth old

i think 9/10 months is a common time for refusal. it usually goes on for a few weeks, and then they come back to the breast. Maybe give the ABA a call for some suggestions? Having a deep bath with baby often relaxed them enough to consider a feed.

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

Yes we had it at 11 months. I was so sad as I wasn't ready.
    I kept offering and after a week she took it up again!
    Keep offering

As others have said, it's a common age for things to change. He's not refusing, he's just altered his patterns, from the sound of things.
    He's still feeding overnight, but not so much during the day, is that right?
    It could be there's a specific reason for not wanting those day feeds, which will right itself with time - ie, teeth, or whatever. (All the things you mentioned could be contributing).

Supply-wise, you'll keep making what he takes and if he needs more, he'll ask for more. Your supply at this stage will be robust, it will bounce back if it flags, all it will take is more feeding (baby willing). The left-right imbalance is a bit of a nuisance, but it's quite possible to make enough on one side only, so from a feeding perspective it doesn't matter. (You might not like the look of it, which I quite understand. Feeding more from the smaller side is the way to try and rebalance that, but you'll have to convince the little guy.)

Now, the most important question: How is he? If he's growing and thriving and still doing normal poos and weeing, then he's probably fine. Always go back to your child - how is he, is he doing ok? Changes in patterns and behaviour are not always very good indicators of what's going on. Now, if he's actually showing signs of dehydration, or you have other concerns with his health or wellbeing, then he might need encouraging to take more milk and/or a medical consult.

If you want him to take more milk, give him less food/water (particularly water). Breastfed babies don't actually need water, they can get all the fluid they need from milk, so if he's thirsty and nothing else is on offer, he may ask for more milk. Generally, though, if he's fine and doing well, you may be ok to just continue as you are. Let him decide when he wants a feed.

If you'd like to encourage more day feeds, try different settings, the bath is an old standard. Make it nice and comfy, make the breast available, but don't try to feed him. Make it about spending nice time with your breasts, without any pressure to feed. He might surprise you. When babies are refusing, or you're having issues to get them to feed well, then any nice interaction with the breast is a positive. If he's happy to just be there with your breasts, that's good. If he nuzzles, licks or has a bit of a latch, then comes off without feeding, that's good. It's all headed in the right direction.

You're doing fine

Thanks, HotI & Joeve. I'll just keep plodding along, offering & hopefully it won't last too much longer.

Posted at the same time, onthefly. : )

Yes, he's still feeding during night. I'm relieved about the fact supply should be 'robust' now, don't know why but I assumed it could be diminishing as he's getting older.

Developmentally he's fine, wet nappies & he's a happy, healthy little guy. He's lean & long, not on the weight chart but we have another mchn appt in 2 weeks to check weight gains. He has always put weight on, but borderline at past couple appts. I'm actually not concerned, he looks great (perfect even...) & doesn't look 'skinny'. Dh & I are small people so he was never going to be huge.

Good point about the water, he does have a decent guzzle sometimes. I offer it with all meals/snacks so I might ease off it a bit. Hadn't even considered that, thankyou. Also, love the bath idea, but we don't have one. Might make an effort to hang around together with boobs more readily available though. Thanks for the suggestions. : )

All sounds good!
    By robust, I mean it can bounce back after a drop. It's not a one-way track to no milk even if your supply does drop. The amount he takes will decrease as he takes in more food, and so your supply will also drop accordingly, but that is entirely normal and to be expected.
    Too bad about the bath! I'm sure you can find another way of doing it, though. Hope it passes soon.