Thread: How can I fix this awful pain?

Default How can I fix this awful pain?

I'm having real issues breastfeeding right now. I haven't had pain like this since we got DS' tongue tie snipped, and since that's been done I haven't got any ideas about why this is back.

It started on the right, a huge crack opened up. The left was fine though, so I just ignored the right while it got all gross, I aired it out when possible, and eventually all the gross bits flaked off and it looked normal again. Then right on cue, a huge crack on the left one! I put him on the right, and now they're both cracked

I can't keep him off both, so I'm stretching out as long as possible between feeds and alternating sides to give each one the chance to recover between feeds, but there's never enough time to fully heal. I just can't see how they're going to come good again with him still on there every day and overnight.

Each feed has me swearing and in tears, I feel like I don't want to do this anymore

Default Re: How can I fix this awful pain?

Could you try using nipple shields until you heal? It will take some of the pain away?

I'm definitely getting some tomorrow. I figure that way he might not pull the nipple out so much and there won't be any direct contact.

In the meantime, he's finished his bedtime feed and woke up immediately, screaming the house down. He wants more but there's no way in hell he's getting it. He's gonna have to find another way to get to sleep tonight. At the moment he's playing in the pantry though, I'm sick and can't deal with getting him to sleep too.

Big big hugs. You can try taking panadol 30mins before a feed?

And get yourself some rite aid hydrogel breast discs (last I knew Coles had them but not woolies). Amazing and really helpful with healing. Hang in there

Thanks surprised. The panadol is a good idea, I'll try that. I've got the disks - I think you mentioned them last time I had problems and they were great, so I got those those this morning.

Ahaha they should be paying me an affiliate fee! I do go on about them but they were what got me through a very horrific few months of feeding!

Hope things start to turn around for you soon.

Try Epsom salt baths

What do the epsom salts do? I'm getting a funny image of me dangling my boobs in a bowl lol.

Yikes.
    OK, cracks have two likely causes. One is latch problem, the other is infection. Do you have a handy LC you could talk to? Or knowledgeable nurse/GP?
    Sometimes ties can grow back, might be worth having a look just in case. Doctor can swab for infection and there are creams you can try. Pharmacist might even be able to advise you on broad spectrum cream that will knock out likely culprits.
    Shields might help in the interim, but won't address the actual problem, unfortunately. Pain relief and discs and so on might also help you get through till you can get them properly healed, so probably worth trying all the ideas You will need to fix the problem, however, or it won't get better.

Thanks onthefly, I'll check under his tongue tonight. This is exactly the same as last time so I won't be surprised if it's back. I've been religious about checking his latch - his tongue looks in the right place, but I can't tell properly from the position. His top lip is sometimes not right but I flick it out. It's underneath on both sides. Before the cracks appeared it was like the skin underneath was just wearing down, like he was just slowly taking away layer after layer until there was nothing left.

OP gave me a list of LCs in my area last time and I spoke to one, I think I'll give her a call back.

Any breast pain? The only time my nipples cracked like you describe is when I had thrush.

No, there's no pain aside from the actual nipples. Last time I went to the Dr and as wonderful as she is, she didn't know what caused it other than the tongue tie. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile going back to see her in case there's a specific cream she can prescribe or if she can diagnose something - if it's not that the tongue tie has grown back.

I don't know. I think maybe the LC will be the first step.

Aww Teeki sorry I missed this! Seconding what onthefly said - aids like shields won't fix the problem. Sounds like you need to reach out to the LC again.

Huge hugs. So difficult to deal with these things when you are sick :-(