Thread: Just looking for support - giardia and breastfeeding

Default Just looking for support - giardia and breastfeeding

So that's basically it. They think I have giardia. I am really ill and having to manage on my own. DH can't come home.
    The doctor wants me to take the medication for it before we even get the cultures back - but I can't take it and breastfeed. I can't breastfeed for 3 days after I've finished it, so a week.
    Yes I know I could just pump and dump, but i haven't expressed in 5 years - I'm not real keen to start now.
    She only has 2 feeds a day; bedtime and about 11.30. I have successfully, though not gently in her eyes weaned her from 4 feeds a night over the last month.
    I am really over being so needed and over touched, but I don't really want to end it like this....but I'm ill and while i was trying to wait it out to keep her going, I'm not getting better and i can hardly function as it is.
    She will take a bottle of milk, but when she wants a feed there is no deterring her. I do not have the energy to fight with her.
    ....this just wasn't in the plan.

Default Re: Just looking for support - giardia and breastfeeding

Big hugs. You've done so well to last this long. But now is the time to look after yourself. Even if it's not giardia, it's something, and it's ok to give your body what it needs to heal (including time, space, medicine etc).

Do what you need to, and don't feel guilty. I look back at what I put myself through for the sake of continuing to breast feed and think "why did I subject myself to that?"

Have you checked with Rodney whyte or one of other drug info centres if there are alternative meds?
    https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bre...urces/medicine

You might find that you still have milk after a week. Boobs that reach toddler feeding age can often be quite adaptable, and will bounce back. Going cold turkey you might find you need to express for comfort too. or you might find that this is a good opportunity to wean, and not offer again.

hope you feel better soon.

Oh hun, I'm so sorry you are still poorly. How long til DH is home? Could anyone else support you in this difficult time? I so get where you are coming from with feeling touched out etc and I agree, it'd be a shame to end it like this. It might even make it harder while you're still recovering??

Definitely give Rodney Whyte or similar a ring and see if there are any alternatives. How long til the cultures come back?

Quote Originally Posted by HotI View Post

You might find that you still have milk after a week. Boobs that reach toddler feeding age can often be quite adaptable, and will bounce back.
    I have stopped for a week twice while being away when DS was around two, and gone on to continue with 2-3 feeds a day for almost a year after that. I never expressed, I felt a little full but not uncomfortable - so you might be ok after a week if you still want to feed after the medication.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Well, the first priority is obviously getting well. Pumping and dumping is pretty **** at the best of times, so I think you'd have to be realistic about whether it's even feasible for you right now.
    If you haven't already double checked about the medication, it really is worth doing so.
    As others have said, it is also entirely possible to stop for a week and then go back to it, though it will depend how the both of you feel about that. Do you have help with the kids at the moment? That seems a greater priority right now.
    Take care and hope you're better soon.

DH is going to try and get time at home this weekend, and I have great girlfriends as backup.

I never even thought it a possibility to return to it.....wow. Why does that seem so monumental right this second? THANK YOU!!!

Cultures will be back in a couple of days. Will give Monash a call tomorrow. I also have an awesome pharmacist so will have a chat to him.

Thanks again girls.

My eldest is another who had a circumstantial break from breastfeeding and returned, she spent a week at the beach with my parents and didn't seem deterred when she returned, we continued on for another 6 months or something after that

I hope Rodney has some good news for you though, he has always been really helpful when I've called.