Thread: Nipple Thrush help

Default Nipple Thrush help

Hi Ladies

I've had nipple thrush for 2 weeks now. I've been taking diflucan every 3 days, daktarin gel on my nipples after every feed, and in bubs (3 months) mouth too although her mouth doesn't appear symptomatic. She has a nappy rash which I am treating with canestan. I'm trying to air as much as possible, but difficult due to school pick ups and after school activities! Have reduced sugar intake drastically, and cut out bread completely. Pain is definitely better than it was, now I just have Nipple burn after a feed. Is there anything else I can be doing to speed up recovery? Or what worked for you? I really hate this, it didn't happen with dd1,and I'd hate to give up feeding because of this.

Thanks in advance Xo

Eta I've also switched from cloth breast pads to disposable, but only since yesterday, hoping that might make a difference too.

Default Re: Nipple Thrush help

I had recurrent thrush when ds was a newborn. I think changing to disposable breast pads should help though I back to cloth now without a problem. I used both daktarin and nilstat. The daktarin worked fine for me on its own but maybe nilstat might be worth a try for you if its not clearing up?

Thanks for your reply Botched Tabby. Do you know if Nilstat is prescription or over the counter? And also, how much daktarin did you apply to your nipples? Eg pea size amount or bigger?

Ta x

Nilstat is over the counter. You shouldn't need to get a prescription for it. I applied less than a pea sized amount. I also used the daktarin on ds' bottom rather than get a separate cream.