Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reflux or oversupply ... And how long before Losec should kick in?

Default Re: Reflux or oversupply ... And how long before Losec should kick in?

No I haven't Hotl. How much would I give?

i will see if i have the notes still. i think it was 1ml before a feed (dd was 4 months ish)

Increased losec to 2ml twice a day and a slight improvement (it has been two and a half days). Weight gain not great- 9 days ago was nudie weighed at 4.42kg today was weighed with pants and cotton top (dry nappy, not sure how many grams clothes add) at 4.87k. But very long for her age (9 and a half weeks now) at 58cm. Starting probiotics tomorrow (me that is). Dairy elimination in a couple of weeks if no improvement. Just battling through it! Thanks for listening- just helps to note everything down.

So 450g in 9 days, less clothes? That sounds fine, no?
    Has there been any change in nappy output?
    Hang in there

No change to nappies. Wet ones still the lower end 4-5 a day, MCNs. A big dirty one every few days. I weighed her clothes and a dry nappy with the kitchen scales (obsessive I know!) and it was close to 200 grams.

Not obsessive, clever! 250g in 9 days sounds like good weight gain. You feeling ok with that amount?

Yes... I think LC must have miscalculated or misheard the numbers I told her over the phone as she was saying it was a low 120g gain... I couldn't work out how she arrived at that number. DD2 does look healthy. Alert, engaged, pink skin, good muscle tone.

Even 120g over 9 days would be fine.

Do you remember how your DDs gains were? Do they have similar body shapes?

200g is fine. 120g is a bit low, but not alarmingly so.
    What's the poo like? That is quite infrequent for a little baby. Was it different before you started the medication?

The poo looks normal for a 9 and a bit weeker. Pretty big, nice consistency. I thought after 6 weeks it was normal for poo to appear less frequently?

Hotl as it happens I was comparing the girls' weight last night. DD1 was just over 4.5 kg at 11 weeks I think. DD2 is already only a tiny bit shorter than DD1 was at 13 weeks. Both are long 'uns. DD1 was always under the 50th percentile for weight. Interestingly I have my own baby book from 34 odd years ago and my weight gains were along similar lines. If we didn't have feeding issues I would not be fazed at all by DD2's weight because she looks perfectly healthy if not small and is reaching her early milestones on target.

my girls have both been slow ish growers, average 90 - 100g a week, and DS was only a little more. The nurse stressed some with #1, but by #3 we know that this is the pattern of my kids (born big, then steady but low-ish gains). And when i was chatting to my mum, she said i did the same thing!

my #3 also had feeding difficulties , but not the gut (reflux) issues, and i too looked to weight gains for reassurance. Thankfully she wasn't my first or i would have been more worried about her weight gains not being enough.

I am looking for evidence she is taking enough I guess because with the crying and pulling off etc I cannot tell when she has had enough.

makes sense to me!

Thanks Hotl and OTF.

So anyone know much about Miessence Fast-Tract? LC told me to take a good probiotic so I've got this, am taking 50ml a day. I wonder if I can give a couple of drops direct to DD2 as well?

My post disappeared! I totally lost a month and thought your baby was younger. All good.
    Um. I have no idea about pro-biotics, what did the LC say? Personally, I wouldn't give a little baby anything other than breastmilk without good medical reason. But that doesn't really answer your question
    The idea is that the health of your gut flora will directly impact on the quality of flora in your baby's gut, via breastmilk, which is the way the system is designed. Giving it directly to baby might mess with this. Or it might be better. I dunno.

Hmm will stick with me taking it methinks.

Ok another update, for anyone interested. A little more than a week into dairy elimination and no difference

However When our LC was here she checked for tongue tie and said it was all good but I couldn't remember if she checked for lip tie, anyway was talking with a few other BBers and saw some photos of upper lip tie plus researched the symptoms and I am pretty sure she has lip tie.

Could lip tie cause all of those reflux type symptoms plus the crying during feeds? Is surgery our only option given we already employ most of the the positions and techniques suggested for helping lip tie babes to feed, to little avail?

The clue to look further into it was reading about the upper lip not flanged out properly and DD2 does sometimes not flange her upper lip but her attachment when she is attached - I.e. when she's not pulling off-on-off-on and mouthing around my nipple like something is in the way (more clues) - is otherwise perfect.

Yes, it sure can. A lot of babies who are diagnosed or suspected reflux actually have a feeding problem, which may be caused by anatomical problems like a tongue or lip tie. Sometimes the symptoms are subtle, there may not be any obvious problem with the latch, or any pain or damage, but baby might feed quickly and frequently, come on and off a lot, seem to struggle to feed, get windy, be irritable and so forth.

And yes, surgery is probably best option, if confirmed. There is a go-to guy out Fremantle way (I think?) I can find out his name. It's best to get it done sooner, rather than later, obviously
    First, though, you'll need to get the LC or someone to confirm that there is a lip tie.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast